Phoenix's domino effect on Atlanta

'7'

While the Jackets to Cleveland would be nice, since I could make it to more games, I enjoy the trips to Columbus. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from Kent, so it is nice to get out of town for a night.

Now that football season is over, the crowds have actually been a bit better. I was there for the game against the Coyotes, and the upperdeck was filled, and most of the lower bowl was filled. Loudest I have heard that arena was after the Calvert hat trick that night.

I've noticed that alot with hockey that after football season ends attendence seems to go up a tick.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were originally at the US Airways Arena with the Suns. That place is built for basketball so when they put a hockey rink in one end of the rink was under the upper bowl in one section. That's why they built the hockey friendly arena in Glendale.

I know that. That's why I said they couldn't work with the Suns to make it less obstructive?

And again, putting an arena in the middle of the desert isn't a good idea unless there's some decent(not great, but decent) mass transit to/fro. It's 2011 and unless you have a great team history you can't have a pro sports arena in the middle of nowhere. This ain't the NFL. The Sacramento Kings are now finding that out and it's come to bite them in the backside, old arena or not.

I know that. That's why I said they couldn't work with the Suns to make it less obstructive?

And again, putting an arena in the middle of the desert isn't a good idea unless there's some decent(not great, but decent) mass transit to/fro. It's 2011 and unless you have a great team history you can't have a pro sports arena in the middle of nowhere. This ain't the NFL. The Sacramento Kings are now finding that out and it's come to bite them in the backside, old arena or not.

mass transit is non-existent in the US South. mass transit requires a certain threshold of interest/ridership that those cities simply don't have, they are to a large degree overgrown suburbs. just about everywhere in those cities is the middle of nowhere.

I've noticed that alot with hockey that after football season ends attendence seems to go up a tick.

Especially in a town like Columbus, where Ohio State football comes before everything.

Coming to OH from Jersey, I never really experienced people getting crazy about college football...Rutgers sucked when I was growing up. Then to see a state where the world pretty much stops on a Sat afternoon for OSU, I was pretty surprised. Kent State plaed OSU two years ago in football, and I had friends from Kent rooting for Ohio State...I'm like, "You go to Kent you moron, how can you root against your own school!" I just don't get it.

sincerely i hope there's an NFL lockout next season it would help the NHL in gaining popularity and attendance in the US, would probably sucks real bad for the fans but it would still help the NHL

I'm sure there would be some sort of alternative. Either they would put more college football on, or maybe the UFL games would get more popular. We are a nation of football lovers, and that won't change, even with an NFL lockout. We'll get our fix somewhere.

As everyone has said in this thread, this is the big leagues. As much as Winnipeg and Quebec City may love hockey the big time economics just don't work. Without the corporate sponsorship base and population to have a major TV deal, I don't see how either of those teams could afford to spend anywhere near the cap on a consistent basis. And replacing two bottom feeders with two other bottom feeders does no one any good. Not to mention the hit the league would take negotiating an American TV deal without two of the top 10 markets represented.

Winnipeg may get the Coyotes simply because they played by the rules and have everything ready to go while better markets like Houston or Seattle are not prepared. That doesn't mean it is a good for the league long term. The NHL left the small Canadian markets for a reason, they just are not viable long term. When the Canadian Dollar is back to being worth $0.70, they will be in real trouble. Again.

Atlanta is not a bad hockey market. It just held back by poor ownership. If the Thrashers had the Coyotes record they would be drawing much better - just look at their attendance from 2006-07, the only year they were any good.

sincerely i hope there's an NFL lockout next season it would help the NHL in gaining popularity and attendance in the US, would probably sucks real bad for the fans but it would still help the NHL

You're not gonna make too many friends around here with that sentiment bro.

You're not gonna make too many friends around here with that sentiment bro.

lol i do said that it would sucks for you guys... but personally i'm Canadian i couldnt care less about football, i seriously couldnt even name 4 teams from the NFL

But seriously i was joking about it earlier but is it really what it is in the US... like everyone is crazy about football and its not even a question you just assume that someone do kinda?

How? By deconstructing the Suns entire upperdeck?

Triumph summed it up. Mass Transit in Southern cities is not needed like it is up here.

I'd like to see Quebec City get a team again. I'm hopeful that Phoenix can get their act together and keep their team - there always seems to be a ton of kids in that crowd when I catch their homegames on TV. As for Atlanta, I'm surprised they got a team in the first place after losing the Flames, honestly.

I just want this mess to be over. I feel bad for the fans in Phoenix and Atlanta, but I also feel for the people in Ouebec and Winnipeg.

There is no win-win solution to this, either way someone is going to end up getting the shaft.

CBC.ca reported that the NHL has done several detailed analyses of the Winnipeg market, and according to a couple of sources, the league estimates revenues of about $70 million per season. That would be double the revenue generated by the Coyotes and about $20 million more than the revenue generated by the Atlanta Thrashers, another franchise with ownership issues that could move to Winnipeg. But it would still be the lowest among Canadian teams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=nc-coyotesjets030711

It's crazy how talk of NHL relocation evolves. Not that long ago it seemed like, if a team was gonna move, it would be to Kansas City, Hamilton or become a second Toronto team. I think the only time I've seen any of those mentioned in this thread was when someone mentioned that Winnipeg was a comparably sh!tty city to Hamilton.

Best part of all this Winnipeg talk...an article titled "I Hate Winnipeg" introduced me to the Weakerthans. AMAZING Band!

Reconstruction Site is one kick ass LP. Love "A Cat Named Virtue."

Best part of all this Winnipeg talk...an article titled "I Hate Winnipeg" introduced me to the Weakerthans. AMAZING Band!

Reconstruction Site is one kick ass LP. Love "A Cat Named Virtue."

It's crazy how talk of NHL relocation evolves. Not that long ago it seemed like, if a team was gonna move, it would be to Kansas City, Hamilton or become a second Toronto team. I think the only time I've seen any of those mentioned in this thread was when someone mentioned that Winnipeg was a comparably sh!tty city to Hamilton.

I've heard Hamilton wouldn't be able to support a team at all.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/life/columnists/dave_wheeler/2011/03/12/17596211.html

I’ve discounted a lot of rumours over the years of a team coming back to Winnipeg, as the basis of the rumour was unfounded and sometimes downright ridiculous. Out of all the situations I’ve heard about the possibility of the NHL returning; this is the most promising scenario I’ve seen thus far.

I have it under good authority, that a name, jersey scheme, and logo have already been designed and are ready to go for when the team makes our city its home.

The bad news for some fans — it will not be the Jets. From what I do know, the team will go under the moniker of the Manitoba (TBA).

its easy for you guys to say you have the high ground here, lets forget the borders here. how would you have felt if Bettman would have succeed and move the Devils to Nashville? Just because of money and technicalities? and that deep down you guys knew that you really deserved a team? and you/we(outsiders) are proving that they we're wrong

It may sound gay and you guys may never understand (and i really wish another Canadian Devil fan would join here to agree) but Hockey is part of our heritage its more than just a sport its part of our lives in so many ways, its really terrible to see that a$$hole taking it away from us just because of the $$$ (kinda the same feeling that if you're in love with that girl and you know you'd give her all the love in the world but that she's with that rich guy cause he's loaded and that he's not caring that much about her)

or how would you guys feel if you wouldnt have the NFL cause... somehow that league would work better in... Russia? lol its your sports (well maybe some of you doesnt care at all about football really... i wouldnt know... im just gonna be ignorant here and assume all americans or most loves it haha) i couldnt care less about it, i didnt even knew Getzlaf brother was playing football or that he had a brother until last year... he's a nobody here while Ryan Getzlaf is a hero

I am here to agree with you. I am not canadian, but I live in canada since 2007. Here in Canada I experinced the love for hockey as I never expected to. I live in a small city (200 000 people) and the WHL team is the city's passion: almost no empty seats for their games, lots of people buying jerseys and other stuff, local stores acting like big sponsors... They had a NHL game once and the tickets were sold out in less than 60 min.

The thing here is: Canadians do anything possible to participate. They don't like to stay at home, doing nothing. They really like to be outside, no matter what. So, they grab any chance just to have some fun, be involved with something and speacially support the community's growth.

I firmly believe that 'Peg is excited and people there would do anything possible to support the team. If they will succeed, I don't know, but at least I know, for sure, that they will try really hard.

Stupid decision in my opinion. The call for the last 15 years has been "Bring Back the Jets!", not just bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. The fans want the Jets.

The author makes a good pointin the end. If they were to call the team "Manitoba Moose" or something like that, the finas would still chant for the Jets, and wear Jets gear. They already do this at the AHL games.

Edited by mmajeski06

Stupid decision in my opinion. The call for the last 15 years has been "Bring Back the Jets!", not just bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. The fans want the Jets.

The author makes a good pointin the end. If they were to call the team "Manitoba Moose" or something like that, the finas would still chant for the Jets, and wear Jets gear. They already do this at the AHL games.

If they're smart, they'll at least keep the Jets moniker with Manitoba as their "home". But if this guy is saying that it looks like Jets is 100% out, then that seems pretty stupid. Especially if it's the same damn franchise that they're (potentially) getting back.