Jacques Lemaire confirms he's returning?

Tedenby21

I am not sure what to make of this, so I figured I'd post it on here to get all your thoughts. I bolded the most important parts.

Original article: http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=558628

"Jacques Lemaire opened the ceremony with some levity, though he wouldn’t confirm his plans for next season.

“The question I have the most is if I’ll come back next year,” Lemaire told the attending season ticket holders. “Thank you for your concern. The only thing is, my wife is asking me if I’m coming back and I’m wondering if there’s too much coaching at home. So I could be in trouble.”

Or did he?

I didn’t give you the answer for next year. The answer is I will be back,” Lemaire said, eliciting loud cheers before he continued: “I just don’t know what time.”"

Does that mean he is coming back to coach next season?

Edited by Tedenby21

I am not sure what to make of this, so I figured I'd post it on here to get all your thoughts. I bolded the most important parts.

Original article: http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=558628

"Jacques Lemaire opened the ceremony with some levity, though he wouldn’t confirm his plans for next season.

“The question I have the most is if I’ll come back next year,” Lemaire told the attending season ticket holders. “Thank you for your concern. The only thing is, my wife is asking me if I’m coming back and I’m wondering if there’s too much coaching at home. So I could be in trouble.”

Or did he?

I didn’t give you the answer for next year. The answer is I will be back,” Lemaire said, eliciting loud cheers before he continued: “I just don’t know what time.”"

ughh. its lemaire, don't try to decipher what he says

Can Jacques Lemaire's Methods Survive a Whole Season:

I am more than appreciative for what he brought to this club this year. He truly is a legendary coach. BUT?

I believe the motivation for this team to hear what Lemaire was saying came out of necessity - pride was at stake.

Sure you go from a team that realized they were playing god-awful and the laughing stock of the league - so they embrace a savior for 4 months just to earn back the respect they once had....

.....but......

some folks here are forgetting Lemaire isn't some new fresh face that flicked the magic switch.

We've been here before - we've had a FULL YEAR of Lemaire. We saw what it yielded - a great regular season and a burnout to playoffs.

You can't tell me that no one here has some concerns about a replay of something like that again - now that the guys have earned some self-respect back?

Now, I'm sure someone's going to say that:

1. It was all Langs' fault

2. Now Lemaire has great kids to teach

3. Kovy has evolved into a more complete player

To which I counter:

1. Marty is a year older (2 than the last time Lemaire had a full season)

2. Lemaire had kids (Bergfors, Zhark, Greene)

3. Lemaire had cap room to play with for roster flexibility

4. Both White, Elias, Salvador, and Rolston were 2 years younger

I'm not saying that he's the wrong choice, but I do see the 2cnd half as a bit of a microcosm of a similar Devils-Lemaire season. Great regular season success - slight dip - fizzle through Spring - then not enough flexibility to survive the post season.

Can Jacques' message ring true and last an ENTIRE season with these guys?

THOUGHTS?

Can Jacques Lemaire's Methods Survive a Whole Season:

I am more than appreciative for what he brought to this club this year. He truly is a legendary coach. BUT?

I believe the motivation for this team to hear what Lemaire was saying came out of necessity - pride was at stake.

Sure you go from a team that realized they were playing god-awful and the laughing stock of the league - so they embrace a savior for 4 months just to earn back the respect they once had....

.....but......

some folks here are forgetting Lemaire isn't some new fresh face that flicked the magic switch.

We've been here before - we've had a FULL YEAR of Lemaire. We saw what it yielded - a great regular season and a burnout to playoffs.

You can't tell me that no one here has some concerns about a replay of something like that again - now that the guys have earned some self-respect back?

Now, I'm sure someone's going to say that:

1. It was all Langs' fault

2. Now Lemaire has great kids to teach

3. Kovy has evolved into a more complete player

To which I counter:

1. Marty is a year older (2 than the last time Lemaire had a full season)

2. Lemaire had kids (Bergfors, Zhark, Greene)

3. Lemaire had cap room to play with for roster flexibility

4. Both White, Elias, Salvador, and Rolston were 2 years younger

I'm not saying that he's the wrong choice, but I do see the 2cnd half as a bit of a microcosm of a similar Devils-Lemaire season. Great regular season success - slight dip - fizzle through Spring - then not enough flexibility to survive the post season.

Can Jacques' message ring true and last an ENTIRE season with these guys?

THOUGHTS?

The problem with the premise of your argument is that you're wondering whether Lemaire can last a full season with 'THESE GUYS'. Well, these guys might be a totally different group from the ones he started out with in 2009-10. Players who weren't there at the beginning of that season who are here now: Kovalchuk, Palmieri, Tedenby, Josefson, Fayne, Tallinder, Volchenkov, Zharkov, Steckel, Taormina, Salmela. That's 11 players - half the roster - who were not on the opening day roster just two Octobers ago. And there might be more changes.

The early season success of NJ was based on good play, along with extreme shooting luck on the power play. That extreme shooting luck turned into extreme shooting bad luck in the 2nd half of the season. They also did well in the shootout in the first half and began doing worse in the second half. Also, the 3rd line was a complete disaster all season long, and Niedermayer got worse as the season progressed.

Here's a stat for you - what was the Devils' even strength goal differential before that Chicago game that ended NJ's season? And what was it after?

Also the idea that the end of this season is somehow indicative of how Lemaire's style 'wears out' is just preposterous.

Edited by Triumph

The problem with the premise of your argument is that you're wondering whether Lemaire can last a full season with 'THESE GUYS'. Well, these guys might be a totally different group from the ones he started out with in 2009-10. Players who weren't there at the beginning of that season who are here now: Kovalchuk, Palmieri, Tedenby, Josefson, Fayne, Tallinder, Volchenkov, Zharkov, Steckel, Taormina, Salmela. That's 11 players - half the roster - who were not on the opening day roster just two Octobers ago. And there might be more changes.

The early season success of NJ was based on good play, along with extreme shooting luck on the power play. That extreme shooting luck turned into extreme shooting bad luck in the 2nd half of the season. They also did well in the shootout in the first half and began doing worse in the second half. Also, the 3rd line was a complete disaster all season long, and Niedermayer got worse as the season progressed.

Here's a stat for you - what was the Devils' even strength goal differential before that Chicago game that ended NJ's season? And what was it after?

Also the idea that the end of this season is somehow indicative of how Lemaire's style 'wears out' is just preposterous.

I agree with this, and would add that the players you listed as "kids" were a lazy enigmatic rookie who thought to highly of himself and has since been passed around the NHL because of it. Zharkov is a waste of roster space and was most likely not very interesting to teach for lemaire because he already had the details down. It was everything else that his game lacked or rather lacks. Then Greene who, aside from not being a kid at the age of 26'ish, was more just hot and cold all season not really in need of teaching the fundamentals.

Teddy and Kovalchuk are rough diamonds that lemaire can polish up all year and turn them into something special. Next year he may get Urbom on the team who Lemaire raved about when he was watching him play last year and could be another diamond for him to polish up. Those are the type of players that I think will keep him in the game and keep him being successful because it focuses his attention on the players that really need it and keeps that focus off of the players like Elias, Zajac, etc who really don't need all the critical analysis of their play to be successful.

Point being, if he does come back I think he has enough players to satisfy his "hockey school" hobby and allow him to coach the team the way it needs to be and get the most out of all the players here. Time will tell

yipee...here's an idea, instead of circling the drain rehashing and recycling the old how's about we move forward toward, oh I don't know, a future....you know building upwards not sideways. We still have some good vets (E-L-I-A-S) with not a whole lot of time left, lets push through this iceberg and try to do something....

yipee...here's an idea, instead of circling the drain rehashing and recycling the old how's about we move forward toward, oh I don't know, a future....you know building upwards not sideways. We still have some good vets (E-L-I-A-S) with not a whole lot of time left, lets push through this iceberg and try to do something....

ok

Just want to add that even though he might burn out players which I wouldn't really agree on it would need an upgrade.....in my head names i would like to see take over this group come to mind but chances r or def not happening considering I think of Babcock or Tippett

I think they could do better

I would be very happy to have lemair come back because the names u think could do better we won't hire

Keep repeating better safe then sry better safe then Maclean

JL won't be back next year. He'l be relaxing with his grandkids in Fla. He said the closest he'll be getting to hockey is "Center Ice" (that's all the hockey he needs)

and, the Devils need to move on.

We got inexperienced coaches twice recently, one being a total outsider and it blew up on us both times (though for different reasons). So as much as we may want Haviland, Muller or another inexperienced coach I'd be stunned if Lou went that route again. Especially with as you say vets with not a lot of time left, Lou'll be more conservative with his coach hire after being burned by Sutter's weenie behavior and Mac's clueless hopelessness.

Problem is there really aren't a lot of good vet coaches out there, it'll be really interesting to see what Lou does. My fear is Therrien :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

That's not a straight answer; that's a guy enjoying himself pulling on some chains for the fun of it :) I don't think you can read anything into that beyond he was in a good mood that day.

Would you guys rather LeMaire come back or maybe give someone like Kirk McLean a shot at coaching? Or maybe a veteran coach?

Mike

Would you guys rather LeMaire come back or maybe give someone like Kirk McLean a shot at coaching? Or maybe a veteran coach?

Mike

Veteran coach imo.

We tried they, "Hey look let's bring in a rookie coach and have him learn with the team, they'll all grow together and it'll be magical" approach already.

I think you saw a little taste of Jacques Lemaire playoffs 2011-2012 today.

No disrespect to Jacques and all of his acheievements, but he seems unable to motivate these guys through the big physical games and his regular season style seems to tire the team out.

I understand their was no Parise, Volch,Zubrus, or White today - but I'm still unsure if this guy has anything yet to prove to drive these guys through 3 rounds of playoff rounds.

The glaring need for a Dman who can pass or skate a puck out without chipping off the glass - and create consistent plays with speed or the perfect pass is still staring this team in the face.

Andy Greene is fine - but not for what he brings if the pricetag is $2M or over.

Tallinder and Fayne are OK but not enough.

Will Merill or Urbom be that guy - and make it through a full season still intact - who knows?

You can add all the forward depth you want up front, but if they can't get the puck to them - you'll continue to win games by 2-1.

Again, no disrespect to Jacques, and I don't know who has the "magic formula" but.....

Another full season of success - to a Spring dip - to a first round exit - who's up for it?