Possible Devil Draft Picks

KarlovyVary

devs need to pick a goalie, and hopefully defensemen. there are only 4-5 top flight guys out there. There also lots of centers, which we rerally dont need.

vinc

I was thinking defensive prospects myself. A defensemen would be good for the present, but the Devils really seem to be in need of a goalie. Josh Disher is probably the best goalie prospect after Ahonen, and though he's a solid OHL goalie, it's not for certain that's going to translate into the NHL.

If the Devils pick outside of the Top ten, one of either Marc Staal or Ryan Parent might be left. Matt Lashoff or some Euro defensemen like Jakub Kindl or Jakub Vojta would be a project, but are definitely high risk high reward players.

Couple of things:

1) I think defense should be priority 1A with goaltending 1B. That is because of item 2) The Devils do have goaltenders like Josh Disher and a very under rated Scott Clemmensen in the system. So while there are no guarantees that any of these guys can take the team to the Cup, they are promising and in positions to solidify and enhance their reputations.

We have ARI Ahonen for backup for now. We need some D-man and some wingers, were good on the centers and the goalies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really think Ahonen is much of an option right now, isn't he done with the Devils organization?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didnt know that........

We have ARI Ahonen for backup for now. We need some D-man and some wingers, were good on the centers and the goalies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really think Ahonen is much of an option right now, isn't he done with the Devils organization?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea he went back to Finland(i think thats his home country) cause I think he was frustrated with his playing time, and im not sure but his contract also might have been up.

I agree with the general census that our major needs in the system right now are defensman and goalies.

That being said, I hope we stay away from using our top pick on a goalie. IMO, goalies are by far the hardest position to project because they take so long to develop. Yes there are guys like Luongo that have lived up to their billing but it seems to me that a higher percentage of top picks end up being relative busts. Also, because you never know how a netminder is going to turn out until you see them actually perform at the NHL level, goalie prospects have very little trade value compared to players. Most goalies don't actually peak until they are with their 2nd or 3rd club.

Unless you have a chance at drafting an absolutly rare talent in net, I think it is just as easy to pick up a good goalie through a trade in which you really don't have to give up a whole lot. Giguere and Kipper are both good examples of what I'm talking about. I think each was picked up by their current team for a 2nd rounder. Robert Esche is another good example. I haven't been following player movement or prospects development since the lockout started, so these may be outdated examples but it seems like there are always guys available that may still blossom like Ryan Miller, Manny Fernadez, Maxime Oulette, Mikka Noronen, Martin Biron, Toskla in San Jose or even Ahonen. I would think that most could be had for less than a first rounder.

BTW, I do realize that Marty was a 1st rounder for the Devils but he an exception . Trevor Kidd was the best prospect in 1990 and we actually picked up a better goalie in Mike Dunham late in the draft.

Brodeur, Nabby, Turco and Kolzig (not sure about Theodore) are the only well established goalies that I can think of that are still on the team that drafted them (DiPietro and Raycroft could be added in the near future).

Edited by PhillyDevil

First of all, I really doubt New Jersey needs a goaltender. Based on the NHL.com article Conte and the Devils organization still thinks Ahonen is the future number 1 and is right along his time line. Even if he doesn't pan out Josh Disher has been improving rapidly over the past two years and should develop into a solid NHL goaltender in the future.

The Devils need defensmen the only defensmen in our system with NHL potential are DeMarchi, Redlihs and Mikhailishin (with a lot of work on skating). None of those three have top pair potential or 2nd pair potential.

Our main weakness is a pure goal scoring winger and defensmen with defensmen more needed. I really think Ryan Parent would be the Devils first pick. He is solid, a leader and a great character player. Scott Jackson would be my 1st choice for a second rounder.

Luc Bourdon is a great defensmen, hard hitter and solid puck mover. Not sure New Jersey will pick up a defensmen from the QMHJL though. They might opt to draft a college kid like Lee or (I wish) Jack J.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

First of all, I really doubt New Jersey needs a goaltender. Based on the NHL.com article Conte and the Devils organization still thinks Ahonen is the future number 1 and is right along his time line. Even if he doesn't pan out Josh Disher has been improving rapidly over the past two years and should develop into a solid NHL goaltender in the future.

However, reports out of Finland back in late April/early May indicated that Ari had given up on trying to make it in North America and went home to HIFK Helsinki. I don't know who to believe until training camp starts.

If Ari really is gone, we need another goalie (or two, depending on whether or not Clemmensen ends up being Marty's official bench warmer) in Albany NOW. Is Disher -- or Jason Smith, for that matter -- ready to jump to the AHL?

The Devils need defensmen the only defensmen in our system with NHL potential are DeMarchi, Redlihs and Mikhailishin (with a lot of work on skating). None of those three have top pair potential or 2nd pair potential.

Our main weakness is a pure goal scoring winger and defensmen with defensmen more needed. I really think Ryan Parent would be the Devils first pick. He is solid, a leader and a great character player. Scott Jackson would be my 1st choice for a second rounder.

Luc Bourdon is a great defensmen, hard hitter and solid puck mover. Not sure New Jersey will pick up a defensmen from the QMHJL though. They might opt to draft a college kid like Lee or (I wish) Jack J.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Erie expects to have Disher back. It's possible that the New Jersey could sign him, but he's not ready for the AHL yet.

Andrei Mikhailishin apart from being incredibly slow, has very little hockey sense. His positioning is not very good, and he doesn't seem to know how to use his size either. He wasn't great in any of the games I've witnessed, he just looked unsure on the ice.

I agree with you that Ryan Parent would be a great asset to this organization. He has finesse, skill, leadership, and a cool composure, everything that the Devils value in a defenseman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Erie expects to have Disher back. It's possible that the New Jersey could sign him, but he's not ready for the AHL yet.

Andrei Mikhailishin apart from being incredibly slow, has very little hockey sense. His positioning is not very good, and he doesn't seem to know how to use his size either. He wasn't great in any of the games I've witnessed, he just looked unsure on the ice.

I agree with you that Ryan Parent would be a great asset to this organization. He has finesse, skill, leadership, and a cool composure, everything that the Devils value in a defenseman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Mikhailishin you are going to have to take him slowly but he has masive size, incredible strength and a mean streak. He also loves to work so he is the type of player that will get better exponentially.

Disher will be back with Erie but I expect New Jersey to sign a college goaltender, there are quite a few good ones who are FA.

^ Maybe he was having a bad tournament. I saw him for 6 games at the Canada-Russia challenge, and he was nothing short of plain for lack of a better word.

He definitely has size, with a stature like Boris Valabik (10 overall Atlanta 04), but wasn't intimidating in the least bit. If he makes it to the NHL, he might be 5th defenseman.

I was more impressed with their captain Dmitri Megalinski who wasn't even drafted.

^ Maybe he was having a bad tournament. I saw him for 6 games at the Canada-Russia challenge, and he was nothing short of plain for lack of a better word.

He definitely has size, with a stature like Boris Valabik (10 overall Atlanta 04), but wasn't intimidating in the least bit. If he makes it to the NHL, he might be 5th defenseman.

I was more impressed with their captain Dmitri Megalinski who wasn't even drafted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno what you are talking about. He was Russia's most intense and physical defensmen. He was very strong along the boards. You have to remember that he was 18 and will have 6 years of devlopment before he is ready for the NHL. Thats plenty of time. Size and a mean streak you can't teach.

Parent is not a great offensive threat...

Could be better to choose a Buravchikov, Bourdon, or even Mikkelson or Letang.

A Kris Russell in the later rounds could also be an option, even if he's undersized.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats what Martin, Rafaski, Niedermayer and Redlihs are considered. Parent would battle with Hale as the future captain of the New Jersey Devils. Bourdon is a little to careless with the puck in his own end.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac