Report: Sutter Stepping Down

thefiestygoat

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325

According to CTV Calgary, Brent Sutter will announce that he is stepping down as the head coach of the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday.

I respect Sutter's decision and I hope he enjoys being closer to his family. I am grateful for what he did hear in his short time in NJ. I really enjoyed watching his aggressive forecheck system (which made it frustrating when they didn't execute it down the stretch) and I enjoyed when he wasn't line matching. However, I am glad he decided to leave since his heart wasn't fully in it and his coaching seemed to slip down the stretch and into the playoffs. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors. Thanks for everything Brent.

Edited by thefiestygoat

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that was very tough for him to not follow through on a commitment but it's good he showed the fortitude to do what was right for everyone instead of forcing the issue.

And there is still plenty of time for the Devils to look at coached before the draft and free agency, plus Lou is the final decider for those things anyway.

I hope Sutter leaves a Lemaire-like legacy. The same way Lemaire set the foundation of defense-first that led to so much success over the years, I hope the Devils cling to Sutter's aggressive forecheck and stop matching lines in the future. He was a breath of fresh air that the franchise needed so badly. I hope we continue to breathe the fresh air instead of choking on the old school philosophy that worked in the past but is downright ancient in today's NHL.

Best of luck to Brent and his future endeavors.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

I thought he would at least wait for the finals to end to run away from his massive failure. Well, fvck him. I might be more forgiving if he hadn't jumped into a time warp and trusted our season on Madden and Pandolfo. Numbwit.

He's a fugazi. You can talk about him deciding to go with his principles over continuing to coach. Alright, fine. How come then he gave up his principles for a LARGE CASH PAYMENT! Kenny Jonsson is still in Sweden, that's sticking up for your principles. Once the number in front of the zeroes was good enough for Brent, the principles went out the window. Just like his coaching principles went out the window

this playoffs.

If a guy doesn't believe in himself and his convictions, what good is he? In the end, he's a disappointment, the man who talked a big game

coming in and got in everyone's face sold out everything he said in the beginning, and if you don't believe me, go back and look at what he said. The tough guy act only goes so far when it's obvious you're full of sh!t.

The unfortunate thing about this is that it gives Lou an opportunity to make another choice, and I'm not overly confident in what he's going to do. The talk of Sutter leaving a legacy is silly when you think of the people Lou is likely to hire. Empty suits like Johnny Mac, who is slightly more qualified to be an NHL coach than most people that post here, or Lemaire, a dinosaur who can only be out-regressived by the likes of Claude Julien.

So much for the 5 year plan and upward mobility.

Really dissapointed to hear this.

Although i will wait for an official Devils announcement before i truley believe this.

Brent is a fantastic coach and we will struggle to find a replacement of his quality if this is true.

I can't wait for the line of "don't let the door hit you in the ass" posters we're going to get when the sun rises in NJ today.

A thread full of: JL vs. Johnny Mac - two both terrible options.

I know it sounds obvious but - personality is really key for this team.

A coach for this team has to be big enough to stand up against the egos and motivate some multiple-cup-winning vets.

The options available don't look too good given these factors. A rookie AHL coach isn't going to be able to do it.

(and the Bylsma argument is not a comparison as most of those guys are young and hungry)

Teddy Nolan seems the only personality to come close.

Anyone stop to think that there may have been more going on behind the scenes than what we though. Some possibilities:

1.) Too much control from Lou

2.) Too much control from MB

(No, this is not a cue for you LD!!!)

I'm just saying, maybe the Mandolfo line wasn't his choice....and maybe he wants to go somewhere where its REALLY his team!

Just a theory.....any thoughts?

Damn, I hope the report isn't true. I really, really liked Sutter and I think there were enough coach changes here.

Plus now we have to endure the Devils "coaching-merry-go-round" taunts from the NHL.

Frankly, I couldn't care less. I root for some other teams that change their coach every season so I kinda got used do it. :P

If this is true, I agree that the Devils lost a good coach. Just a little suprised that he will let it end this way with what happened in Game 7. You think he would have the fire and motivation to comeback in his final year of his contract and make it back to the playoffs and see what happens. Sutter said with what happened in Game 7 was the worst thing he ever had to endure in the sport of hockey. Maybe it was just a little too much for him plus missing his family.

The Devils will miss him and his coaching and wish him all the best in the future on what it leads too. Just disappointed he didn't comeback for his final year of his contract and with the way this season ended.

Now the coaching search continues for Lou...

I'm glad he is gone. If he came back we'd be figuring "is THIS his last year" and the next year we'd be wondering the same thing. Let's get a coach that wants to be here. And while we are at it, let's stop bringing in people from Western Canada as they all just want to go home.....

If it's true, I respect his decision. Family means more than anything to a LOT of people. From all reports, it's been ridiculously tough being that far from home.

Best wishes, and thanks for the effort, Brent.

Now the big question is the replacement....

If it's true, I respect his decision. Family means more than anything to a LOT of people. From all reports, it's been ridiculously tough being that far from home.

Best wishes, and thanks for the effort, Brent.

Now the big question is the replacement....

My thoughts too. At least he made a decision now and not a week before camp or something.

Anyone stop to think that there may have been more going on behind the scenes than what we though. Some possibilities:

1.) Too much control from Lou

2.) Too much control from MB

That had nothing to do with his initial reticence in coming to begin with, so no I don't think pressure from above or below was anything of a factor.

Lesson (hopefully) learned by Lou, don't bring in a guy who you have to talk into taking an NHL job. Eventually it'll bite you in the butt.

I hope he does not get one cent from the Devils from here on out... and I also hope that he has NO luck selling his home in Montclair.

I hope he doesn't get a cent from any NHL team, except as a consultant or something. If he ever coaches another NHL team he looks like a bigger phony than he already is (as it is he probably put up severe red flags for any team that would hire him).

I would have respected him a lot more if he'd never come, at least he'd be sticking to his principles and what he truly wanted to do all along.

Edited by Hasan4978

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325

I respect Sutter's decision and I hope he enjoys being closer to his family. I am grateful for what he did hear in his short time in NJ. I really enjoyed watching his aggressive forecheck system (which made it frustrating when they didn't execute it down the stretch) and I enjoyed when he wasn't line matching. However, I am glad he decided to leave since his heart wasn't fully in it and his coaching seemed to slip down the stretch and into the playoffs. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors. Thanks for everything Brent.

I respect it too, but IMO, it has more to do with just being with his family....... Dont be surprised to see Calgary and Edmonton make strong offers for him to head coach.... He can still head coach and BE HOME, who wouldnt want that opportunity.

We just lost a hell of a coach.

What a shame.

Plus now we have to endure the Devils "coaching-merry-go-round" taunts from the NHL.

Kind of sad isnt it?

Please not maclean. lets bring in a new voice all together.

Eh. Good coach, but his heart was never fully in it. Good riddance in that regard.

As long as the next coach isn't named Lemaire or (lol) Melrose, it should be someone worthy.

As far as Johnny Mac is concerned, I think he is deserved of the chance. While yes, he has made mistakes in the past, he's still there and has been for a solid period of time. I think that could be helpful. If MacLean gets some good voices around him as assistants, it could work well. If its a mistake, well then hes gone.

I'm not pulling for MacLean, but if he got it, it may work out well.

Eh. Good coach, but his heart was never fully in it. Good riddance in that regard.

As long as the next coach isn't named Lemaire or (lol) Melrose, it should be someone worthy.

As far as Johnny Mac is concerned, I think he is deserved of the chance. While yes, he has made mistakes in the past, he's still there and has been for a solid period of time. I think that could be helpful. If MacLean gets some good voices around him as assistants, it could work well. If its a mistake, well then hes gone.

I'm not pulling for MacLean, but if he got it, it may work out well.

Exactly, he never once quoted in the papers as someone who wanted to come back to NJ... he never said to the players or fans "see you in September" He never said, "I have unfinished business in NJ"................ If he did, I missed it, someone please dig up those articles and show me.

lets move on, Lou will probably just hire maclean but it wont be because he is the best man for the job but it will be the easiest way to fill the spot for this season.... :noclue:

I hope he doesn't get a cent from any NHL team, except as a consultant or something. If he ever coaches another NHL team he looks like a bigger phony than he already is (as it is he probably put up severe red flags for any team that would hire him).

I would have respected him a lot more if he'd never come, at least he'd be sticking to his principles and what he truly wanted to do all along.

I would have respected him if he finished out his contract and left when it was up.

The thing people are overlooking now is that the journo's that we were bashing all season for saying this were actually RIGHT the whole time.

This was very unprofessional and makes Sutter look like a big baby.

If you are wary about coming here in the first place, why do you sign a three year deal?

Like I said, if he finished out his contract and decided to leave AFTER all of the hockey has been played, then I'd respect him. Now after all these baby games, Lou has a few weeks to look for a coach before this hurts us in the free agent market. You better believe a player is going to be hesitant to sign here not know who the coach is going to be.

I would have respected him if he finished out his contract and left when it was up.

The thing people are overlooking now is that the journo's that we were bashing all season for saying this were actually RIGHT the whole time.

This was very unprofessional and makes Sutter look like a big baby.

If you are wary about coming here in the first place, why do you sign a three year deal?

Like I said, if he finished out his contract and decided to leave AFTER all of the hockey has been played, then I'd respect him. Now after all these baby games, Lou has a few weeks to look for a coach before this hurts us in the free agent market. You better believe a player is going to be hesitant to sign here not know who the coach is going to be.

Relax, nothing's official yet.

Relax, nothing's official yet.

I honestly wouldn't want to see him return at this point.

There's no way he could magically make the decision to come back and then have his heart in it 100% let alone have the team play for a coach they KNOW doesn't want to be there.

The thing was mismanaged greatly. It was a distraction during the second half of the season and the playoffs as well.

I am surprised Lou didn't get rid of him immediately and look for a new coach instead of us having to hear Sutter and how depressed he is all the time.