Things you can't stand at a hockey game

spyro

Exactly. It's just common courtesy. What bugs me is that there's so many people in this world -- and in this thread -- who have completely lost all regard for anyone other than themselves that they think they can just run around doing whatever the hell they want. Not only that, but they go so far as to create excuses and to spin things so that everyone ELSE is the a$$hole, not them. And, of course, they're all going to get offended by this and accuse me of being up on a high horse, but frankly, they're the ones who need to get off of their high horses and quit acting like the universe revolves around them.

Yea I guess that's what I was getting at. I don't even think its about people being a$$holes, its just more people have become lazy and relying on other people to do things for them. I'm only 21, but even I am young enough to remember when kids (my age) played football and baseball in the street every weekend. Kids shouldnt see a french fry or a soda before they can read.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. It's just common courtesy. What bugs me is that there's so many people in this world -- and in this thread -- who have completely lost all regard for anyone other than themselves that they think they can just run around doing whatever the hell they want. Not only that, but they go so far as to create excuses and to spin things so that everyone ELSE is the a$$hole, not them. And, of course, they're all going to get offended by this and accuse me of being up on a high horse, but frankly, they're the ones who need to get off of their high horses and quit acting like the universe revolves around them.

I am an a$$hole and I have no problem with anyone calling me one. That is probably why I love Learys song so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlKX74y40Rs

The day that they let people stay and watch the NFC championship on the jumbotron, I watched the cleaners come through. It's literally like one guy per four sections that just walks through each row to pick up trash, find lost items, or just generally tidy up. We'd need that anyway, whether people throw their trash out or not. Cutting those 20 guys' salaries wouldn't drop our prices a nickel.

I worked there YEARS ago. You have a guy with a huge, powerful machine like a leaf blower that he pushes and it cleans the rows. It is really amazing just how fast a huge arena or Giants Stadium gets cleaned. Its not a big deal if you leave something under your seat, every row gets done whether they see anything or not.

Being a former vendor, I hate when people speak down to vendors - they are just people trying to make some money. They don't cook the food or set the prices. I can't tell you how many people talked to me like I was an idiot and I'm a Doctor now. It kills your tips to fight with them so its best to just smile and take it.

Just my two cents on the cleaning issue.

--Prices of food and beverages

--Rangers Suck/Flyers swallow chant when we are playing a team from California*

--8 year olds/stupid chicks chanting Lets go Devils even when we are down 4-0. This is a sports arena, not kindergarten.

--Ranger/Flyer fans in our arena when there teams aren't even in the house. WTF?

--Cowbell. This ain't the midwest nor the Sun Belt.

*The chant shows an inferiority complex. It's annoying as hell, and it makes this fanbase(and team) look more foolish than usual. When we are playing the Atlanta Thrashers or Dallas Stars in a early-mid season game I shouldn't have to endure these stupid, idiotic chants.

--Prices of food and beverages

--Rangers Suck/Flyers swallow chant when we are playing a team from California*

--8 year olds/stupid chicks chanting Lets go Devils even when we are down 4-0. This is a sports arena, not kindergarten.

--Ranger/Flyer fans in our arena when there teams aren't even in the house. WTF?

--Cowbell. This ain't the midwest nor the Sun Belt.

*The chant shows an inferiority complex. It's annoying as hell, and it makes this fanbase(and team) look more foolish than usual. When we are playing the Atlanta Thrashers or Dallas Stars in a early-mid season game I shouldn't have to endure these stupid, idiotic chants.

Do you oppose making noise at sporting events? With people criticizing every attempt to make some noise, it's no wonder Devils games always have the atmosphere of a library.

The Rangers suck chant is fine if it's once or twice a game, but it gets overused. I see no problem with making noise when the team is losing, better than being a bunch of fairweather fans and only making noise when they have a big lead, and I don't know what your problem is with the cowbell.

Evidently I wouldn't be able to stand a lot of you at a hockey game, with some of the silly complaints here.

I've been going to sporting events for more than ten years - I've never thought twice of leaving trash under the seat and I generally keep things pretty clean. Someone else had a good analogy, it's like leaving your dish at a restaurant.

I just stuff everything into the tray and/or cup and not leave anything else on the floor, to me that's as far as common courtesy should go at a sports arena - and that's as much a courtesy to the people around you as anything else, why have someone else step in ketchup or soda spillage, or stain the floor with it?

Do you oppose making noise at sporting events? With people criticizing every attempt to make some noise, it's no wonder Devils games always have the atmosphere of a library.

The Rangers suck chant is fine if it's once or twice a game, but it gets overused. I see no problem with making noise when the team is losing, better than being a bunch of fairweather fans and only making noise when they have a big lead, and I don't know what your problem is with the cowbell.

So true...the only time I really will get annoyed at noise around me is when someone sitting near me does nothing but complain about the arena (or something else not game-related) the whole game. Or the drunken louts that constantly say Player X sucks and Player Y should get traded. If I wanted to listen to that kind of negativity I'd turn on sports talk radio or read the myriad of such posts here :P

In that vein, booing for the sake of booing is a pet peeve; I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. Generally the team should be supported on its home ice, other than in cases of not trying, which can be subjective.

Ummm.... I'm not so against yelling shoot on the power play when you get to about 15 seconds left and still haven't taken one! And that might have happened to us once or twice...

I don't get that either, I mean you're not always going to get the perfect shot on the power play, sometimes you have to shoot either using a screen or deflecting off someone else.

Someone had a Gretzky quote in their sig a while back and it's so true - '100% of the shots you don't take won't go in' or something like that. The Devils, and other teams will pass the puck around too much here and there trying for the perfect play instead of just putting it on net.

Edited by Hasan4978

In that vein, booing for the sake of booing is a pet peeve; I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. Generally the team should be supported on its home ice, other than in cases of not trying, which can be subjective.

Definitely and I think that goes back to the fanbase being spoiled and everyone thinking that every loss is a result of "lack of effort." It's as though most of the fans think the team is playing to please the fans. They are not, they are playing so that THEY can win and so that THEY can have a successful season. When they lose they aren't sitting in the locker room going, "Damn we disappointed our fans again." They are upset at the loss just as we are.

Because it's retarded and juvenile, but probably cool if you are about 6, The Rangers (to me) are a non-entity, far too insignificant to "make up" a chant about them, A total joke of a franchise from a city that thinks it can buy championships in all four sports- it does not happen in the real world ( unless you're Detroit)

Amen

I hate the fact that we have several thousand fans at every game who think like this. Some people are embarassed by certain chants or chants at certain points in games. I'm embarassed by how quiet our arena is and how easily a small pocket of visiting fans can drown us out.

Well there will always be crumbs and spilled drinks and stuff all over the place for them to clean up. Taking your cup and tray to the garbage probably isn't going to cost them their job.

And it does make a difference if it is part of the job or all of the job. If there was nothing for them to clean, and their only job was to clean it, then there would be no need for them. But since they do other stuff, they will still be needed so you don't need to worry about them being fired if you throw your trash in the trash can.

Let me ask this. Do you know for a fact that picking up cups and trays their job or part of their job? If it is, why are we even having this conversation? If it was NOT part of their job then you can be certain you would see signs telling us to take our trash with us. I ask again, do you take your dishes in a restaurant to the kitchen to make the busboys job easier? Do you even tip the busboy separately if you don't?

Rowdy, yes, why the high horse? That poor horse is soon gonna break his back with so many people on it. And no, I'm not on a high horse myself and I don't think the universe revolves around me. No one is calling anyone an a$$hole or making excuses either. Picking up trash is part of those peoples jobs. I don't think it keeps them from their other duties at all and they likely calculate for it. What's interesting is that if everyone picked up their trash the garbage cans outside the entrances or wherever they are would overflow. So now instead of these guys who are already walking through the stands have to pick up the garbage off the floor in that area instead of the stands.

If you can show me proof stating that picking up trash from the stands is NOT in their job description then I will take back everything and pick up my trash 100% of the time in the future.

I hate the fact that we have several thousand fans at every game who think like this. Some people are embarassed by certain chants or chants at certain points in games. I'm embarassed by how quiet our arena is and how easily a small pocket of visiting fans can drown us out.

I agree 100%. It is pathetic. I like to think that our fanbase is still relatively young and in the future this will change.

Let me ask this. Do you know for a fact that picking up cups and trays their job or part of their job? If it is, why are we even having this conversation? If it was NOT part of their job then you can be certain you would see signs telling us to take our trash with us. I ask again, do you take your dishes in a restaurant to the kitchen to make the busboys job easier? Do you even tip the busboy separately if you don't?

If you can show me proof stating that picking up trash from the stands is NOT in their job description then I will take back everything and pick up my trash 100% of the time in the future.

You say if it was not part of their job, then there would be signs telling us to take our trash with us. But it is part of their job, so why do they have garbage cans for people to use? You don't take your dishes to the kitchen because that area is usually for employees only. When you go to a fast-food restaurant, they have garbage cans by the tables. Do you just get up and leave your trash there and think, "Oh it's part of their job to keep this place clean so I'll just leave my stuff on the table"?

And just because it is part of their job doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice of you to just throw your garbage away.

I agree 100%. It is pathetic. I like to think that our fanbase is still relatively young and in the future this will change.

You say if it was not part of their job, then there would be signs telling us to take our trash with us. But it is part of their job, so why do they have garbage cans for people to use? You don't take your dishes to the kitchen because that area is usually for employees only. When you go to a fast-food restaurant, they have garbage cans by the tables. Do you just get up and leave your trash there and think, "Oh it's part of their job to keep this place clean so I'll just leave my stuff on the table"?

And just because it is part of their job doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice of you to just throw your garbage away.

So where are the garbage cans by the seats at the arenas? I've never noticed them near seats but maybe I wasn't looking for them.

As for the nice gesture, sure it's nice and like I said, I don't leave it there 100% of the time but I doubt it would make a great dent in the time the guy takes to clean up.

So where are the garbage cans by the seats at the arenas? I've never noticed them near seats but maybe I wasn't looking for them.

As for the nice gesture, sure it's nice and like I said, I don't leave it there 100% of the time but I doubt it would make a great dent in the time the guy takes to clean up.

The garbage cans are on the concourse which everybody walks through on their way out of the arena.

And whether or not you take your garbage with you may not make a huge dent in his time cleaning, but if everybody thought like that, then it would add up and take a lot more time.

I hate when say it's intermission, and you leave your beer cup under your seat because maybe some of us keep them because of the cool (MTS CENTRE/Manitoba Moose logo) and because they make great beer cup for when you're having a few..anyway, you come back and they are gone! bah!

I hate that I always have to pee 4 minutes before the period is done..but never go...even though i should to avoid the line

When the Devils played at CAA, expensive parking, and now at the Rock people wearing a jersey of the team the Devils are not playing on that night. Last year when I went vs Anaheim, I saw people in Leafs and Stars jersey's. Also people who scan your tickets at The Rock cause bigger lines than at the CAA.

The garbage cans are on the concourse which everybody walks through on their way out of the arena.

And whether or not you take your garbage with you may not make a huge dent in his time cleaning, but if everybody thought like that, then it would add up and take a lot more time.

Are they enough to handle everyone's garbage at once?

What else do you think we should do to help out our fellow janitor friend and make his life easier? Should we use the bathroom less? Make it so everyone uses just one stall/urinal/sink so the others need not be cleaned? If it's raining/snowing out, should we leave take off our shoes and coats outside so that the floor doesn't get wet? Why stop at picking up our food tray? We could give this guy a permanent paid coffee break!

Wait a minute, why stop at the janitor? If he's taking an 8 hour break his fellow workers will be jealous! How about checking our own tickets with wall mounted barcode readers and they can have a buffet with a self checkout facility. Vanderbeek is getting richer by the miniute! DevilinLA should send these ideas to the boss man! Oh wait, he's not! He just has dozens of workers sitting on their ass doing nothing because we're all helping them out!

Are they enough to handle everyone's garbage at once?

What else do you think we should do to help out our fellow janitor friend and make his life easier? Should we use the bathroom less? Make it so everyone uses just one stall/urinal/sink so the others need not be cleaned? If it's raining/snowing out, should we leave take off our shoes and coats outside so that the floor doesn't get wet? Why stop at picking up our food tray? We could give this guy a permanent paid coffee break!

Wait a minute, why stop at the janitor? If he's taking an 8 hour break his fellow workers will be jealous! How about checking our own tickets with wall mounted barcode readers and they can have a buffet with a self checkout facility. Vanderbeek is getting richer by the miniute! DevilinLA should send these ideas to the boss man! Oh wait, he's not! He just has dozens of workers sitting on their ass doing nothing because we're all helping them out!

No they're not enough to handle all the garbage, but they are still there so obviously they aren't expecting everybody to just leave their garbage all over the floor.

And all those other things you listed are actually an inconvenience. Carrying your garbage with you on the same path you are already going to be walking and then parting ways with it as you pass a garbage can isn't an inconvenience.

No they're not enough to handle all the garbage, but they are still there so obviously they aren't expecting everybody to just leave their garbage all over the floor.

And all those other things you listed are actually an inconvenience. Carrying your garbage with you on the same path you are already going to be walking and then parting ways with it as you pass a garbage can isn't an inconvenience.

If they aren't enough then they obviously don't expect everyone to pick up their own trays and throw them out on the concourse otherwise they would have more garbage cans right? If everyone started doing what is being suggested then, like I had said earlier, those garbage cans would overflow and the janitor would have to pick them up there instead of at the seats. Not really helping him out or making things easier for him now are we?

Ahh so your kind gesture to make someones life easier is only if it is convenient to you? Well that's nice.

If they aren't enough then they obviously don't expect everyone to pick up their own trays and throw them out on the concourse otherwise they would have more garbage cans right? If everyone started doing what is being suggested then, like I had said earlier, those garbage cans would overflow and the janitor would have to pick them up there instead of at the seats. Not really helping him out or making things easier for him now are we?

Ahh so your kind gesture to make someones life easier is only if it is convenient to you? Well that's nice.

My point was it is a very simple thing to do. The other things you listed are unrealistic and actually involve going out of your way to do something. Taking your garbage to a garbage can that you will walk by anyway is such a simple task there is no reason not to other than pure laziness. When you leave your garbage on the floor instead of taking it with you are you seriously thinking to yourself, "I should leave it here so the garbage can doesn't overflow"?