Devils in a Winter Classic?

britoon

Next year I can see...

Rangers @ Bruins at 1pm on NBC

Leafs @ Habs at 7pm. on CBC/VS

This way Canadian will get their games, without affecting NHL US Ratings.

The NHL was actually concerned about the outdoor game in Edmonton being too cold in 2003 - I don't see any night games in Canada.

The NHL was actually concerned about the outdoor game in Edmonton being too cold in 2003 - I don't see any night games in Canada.

I wouldn't be surprised if they two games in the near future, an east and west coast game. Let's say they decide they want the Stanley Cup champion involved each year and this year San Jose wins it - they're not going to schedule the game at 1 PM when it's 10AM New Year's Day in San Jose. And actually, doing the late game in a warmer climate would make it so the players, announcers, and fans don't completely freeze their asses off playing an outdoor game at night.

Also I really doubt that Boston would get the Winter Classic at Fenway Park in the next 2 or 3 years just because the current Red Sox ownership is committed to renovating a different part of the park every offseason. So they would have to either put that off for an offseason, or not start it til after the WC.

Penguins vs Flyers Cold War at Beaver Stadium

Capital vs Rangers at Yankee Stadium - Ovechkin on Broadway is a no brainer for the marketing people.

Red Wings vs Avalanche - revival of the great 90's rivalry. This one could be played at Invesco, New Tiger Stadium or even the Big House.

Stars or Sharks vs Wild at new U of Minn football stadium - Return of the North Stars or the NHL simpply promoting one of its best teams. Either way, Minnesota is a natural fit for an outdoor game.

Canadiens/Rangers vs Bruins at Fenway

I was thinking the same thing about the Flyers/Penguins at Penn State

Add to that last one... the Rangers wear uniforms modeled after old Yankee unis, Bruins wear uniforms modeled after old Red Sox unis

Add to the total list...

Kings v Sharks in Las Vegas (done years ago, and the Kings are going to be good in a few years)

Edmonton v Vancouver in a small town in NW Canada where they play on ponds (Mystery, Alaska-like setting)

Canadiens v Maple Leafs on an iceberg off the coast of Canada :giggle: (just kidding)

I can't imagine that they aren't going to try to put together a Rangers/Bruins game. The NY market is huge, people in Boston are actually starting to follow the Bruins again now that they're winning, and either the new Yankee Stadium or Fenway would make a pretty kickass venue for the game. And if there's anything that's going to get fringe fans in New York or Boston to start actually paying attention to hockey, playing on their rivalry is it. I'd actually prefer to see a Bruins/Canadiens game, but I can't imagine that the NHL would throw in a Canadian team over a US market as big as New York.

No chance for us to be there for a quite a while. Though a Devils-Rangers game would be the most emotionally charged of any possible Rangers matchup, it won't draw the same audience as if they pitted them against another huge market like Boston.

nah, devs/rags at giants stadium.

i think they want to stay away from NFl stadiums...especially Giants Stadium because they might need the field for the playoffs, which makes it twice as hard because the Stadium holds a football game every week unlike most stadiums in the NFL. Plus it would take a while to get the ice ready.

i think they want to stay away from NFl stadiums...especially Giants Stadium because they might need the field for the playoffs, which makes it twice as hard because the Stadium holds a football game every week unlike most stadiums in the NFL. Plus it would take a while to get the ice ready.

Depending on what the construction/destruction timetable is, Giants Stadium could work. If the old place is still standing after the Giants and Jets move to the new place, then the NHL wouldn't have to worry about any kind of scheduling conflicts.

1. It's very unlikely it's at a NFL stadium due to the playoffs and such, stick to the baseball one's.

2. It would be very dumb if the NHL included a canadien team in the winter classic. The whole point of the WC is to try to grow the game in the US. Therefor, the potential fanbase thy are trying to reach has no interest in Canada.

Devils vs. Rangers should be one considering it's one of the best rivalries in hockey, but it's very likely that this will not happen...any word on where next years is going to take place?

The last time the Devils hosted the All-Star Game (let alone something of the novelty and magnitude of the Winter Classic) was in 1984. Back then the team had only been here two years. There were only 21 teams in the league, total. Included among those teams were such markets as: Quebec, Hartford, and Winnipeg. This league is not going to willingly allow New Jersey to host anything unless its at Giants Stadium and its under the guise of New York being the host.

The only way New Jersey has a chance to play in a Winter Classic is if they adopt it into a tradition and give one slot to the Stanley Cup winner automatically. The league could then allow fans to vote in the opposing team. In this way the Winter Classic could become relevant to all fans of hockey instead of being penned up to the rival fans of two teams.

I wonder where the game would be if its Isles/Rags.. Citi Field or Yankees Stadium, I'd assume one of them, depending on whose "home"

The Isles are about as big of a national draw as the Devils. In other words, Rangers/Isles is as unlikely as Rangers/Devils. We'll see the Rags playing the Bruins, Habs or Leafs well before they play a local rival in an outdoor game. Maybe the Flyers sneak in, but that's less likely than the aforementioned potential Original Six opponents IMO.

They should do it in Alaska on a real lake. Make it authentic instead of trying to cash in on some baseball aura

So can they get it right when the movie didn't and have the Rangers LOSE to the peppy and charming underdog please?? :P