192 replies to this topic

#141 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

I remember a time when to be a 30 goal scorer on the Devils was a big deal, but we had consistent point getters on every line.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#142 P-Way Chief 11

P-Way Chief 11

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Are people serious with this "season's over" crap? We just came back and beat one of the elite teams in the league two days ago and now this loss means we have no shot and the season is lost? What kind of fan is that?

#143 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Meaningful distinction? The Devils aren't a 7th or 8th seed that's upsetting Washington, Boston or Pittsburgh (healthy) in a 7 game series.

hopefully, the team at the end of this season is not one we've seen yet.

The reason we turned it around in Dec. is because of Lemaire IMO. He lit a fire under their asses and they got their sense of discipline and work ethic back. I'm not saying DeBoer is Johnny Mac, but he's definitely no Jacques. The purported rumor that he has light practices worries me especially since this current roster has a knack for coming in out of shape and lacking any motivation. DeBoer would be a good coach for a mediocre club, but I don't know about him being coach of a club with tradions of high expectations.

ok, i'll bite. what makes you think that practices are "light"? i mean, you're wrong, but i'd like to know why you think they're not.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#144 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

yeah there's still 12 games left against the rangers and islanders. that in itself is a big thing to look forward to over the rest of the season.

Oy...and now we go from the doomsday crowd to the other side of the extreme aisle.

When's the last time the Devils actually beat up on the Rangers and Isles, before the lockout? We haven't done particuarly well against either team in recent years.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#145 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

At least I don't have to read your bitchfest there.

#146 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

hopefully, the team at the end of this season is not one we've seen yet.

ok, i'll bite. what makes you think that practices are "light"? i mean, you're wrong, but i'd like to know why you think they're not.

I recall reading that on the forum somewhere. I could be mistaken, but I'm not making it up out of whole cloth.
I also keep hearing tidbits about our guys being out of shape. In addition, what accounts for the complete lack of discipline on this team. Everyone seems to be out of position and we never had too many men penalties or bad line changes.

#147 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

This was an extremely frustrating loss. They played a pretty good first and second period and then completely fell apart in the third. It would have been nice to get at least a point out of it, but honestly they didn't deserve it because of that terrible third. Having said that though, it is still really good that this team continues to come back in games. If they won we would probably be talking about how resilient this team is. It is also a good sign that they stuck with the bruins for the whole game without 3 key players. Kovy wouldn't have helped out our sluggish defense, but zajac and josefson definitely would. If this team gets healthy they could have some serious depth. Its never good to get dominated defensively, but there were definitely some positives to this game.

#148 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

This was an extremely frustrating loss. They played a pretty good first and second period and then completely fell apart in the third. It would have been nice to get at least a point out of it, but honestly they didn't deserve it because of that terrible third. Having said that though, it is still really good that this team continues to come back in games. If they won we would probably be talking about how resilient this team is. It is also a good sign that they stuck with the bruins for the whole game without 3 key players. Kovy wouldn't have helped out our sluggish defense, but zajac and josefson definitely would. If this team gets healthy they could have some serious depth. Its never good to get dominated defensively, but there were definitely some positives to this game.

Yeah, except for that silly little RW issue

#149 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

I also keep hearing tidbits about our guys being out of shape. In addition, what accounts for the complete lack of discipline on this team. Everyone seems to be out of position and we never had too many men penalties or bad line changes.

Oy, you're re-reading stuff from last year. I haven't seen one thing yet about guys being out of shape. I also distinctly remember DeBoer having a practice that 'gassed' everyone when the Devils had a long layoff earlier in October. You don't have to crack the whip when the team's playing four games in six nights in four different arenas.

And even the great Lemaire had like ten too many men on the ice penalties during the first half of '09-10. Sometimes it's arbitrary when it gets called, sometimes it's inevitable when you have a lot of new players.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#150 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

I recall reading that on the forum somewhere. I could be mistaken, but I'm not making it up out of whole cloth.

don't believe everything you read in forums. There has been nothing written to suggest this. In fact, TG recently blogged from a practice that it was particularly tough.

as for "being out of position", that's going to happen in to every team in the NHL. the "out of position" that we see the most lately revolves around a teenage defenseman and a 1st year player being asked to play 18 minutes a night in an important role.

deboer is not a bad coach. i've seen plenty to like from him so far. players are happy with him.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#151 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

Well something more than an 18 year old defenseman has to account for the lack of quality play. I've followed the last several games on chat and this is the first time I have read "bad change" in consecutive chats. What's our ratio of PPG/SHG against. Pretty awful I gather.
Something's not right. We've got slow players and bad discipline.

#152 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Right now, I hope this team will be on fire after playing like a .500 team. Without the shoot out wins, this team probably will get another lottery pick. However, I think this team hasn't played to their maximum in a consistent level yet.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#153 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

Well something more than an 18 year old defenseman has to account for the lack of quality play. I've followed the last several games on chat and this is the first time I have read "bad change" in consecutive chats. What's our ratio of PPG/SHG against. Pretty awful I gather.
Something's not right. We've got slow players and bad discipline.

The DEVILS just won the 2012 Stanley Cup!!!

See CF - anyone can "write something in a chat"....

In all seriousness - I would encourage you to watch a few consecutive games for yourself - before inferring fact from a blog or forum.

No disrespect intended - but its hard to believe someone who is judging secondhand on things like this.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#154 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

I hear you, Devil, but IMO it's not worth the stress. Keep expectations for these guys low. If they win, great. If they lose, well, what do you expect from this type of team?

#155 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, except for that silly little RW issue

Ok yeah so I think what's happening is you're not watching the team so you are misinterpreting people's posts. Your cherry picking to paint a picture you understand.

It's all new guys all new mindset all new issues and all new strengths. You can watch. It's a fresh young team being well guided. Most exciting time to be a fan. You have to have lived some to read the signs. You have, so I think you should watch more often. Most guys here haven't lived enough to recognize a pattern of success. In ernest, if you've seen two up/down cycles you'll see what's going on. And it is fun!

I'm here for the party

#156 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Oy...and now we go from the doomsday crowd to the other side of the extreme aisle.

When's the last time the Devils actually beat up on the Rangers and Isles, before the lockout? We haven't done particuarly well against either team in recent years.

Why does this mean anything? Does how the 07-08 Devils have any bearing at all on how the 11-12 Devils would do against that team? Does last year's team have anything to do with it?

Edited by Triumph, 15 November 2011 - 11:51 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#157 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

Just got back from the game. Evem though they lost, I'm proud of our boys for hanging with one of the best teams in the league. On an unrelated note. The stanley cup rings the B's got are massiiiiivvvvveeeee. The mascot had one on and he let me hold it. It was pretty damn heavy

#158 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

Why does this mean anything? Does how the 07-08 Devils have any bearing at all on how the 11-12 Devils would do against that team? Does last year's team have anything to do with it?

The 07-08 Devils made the playoffs. The 11-12 Devils most likely won't make the playoffs.
The 07-08 Devils had a big grip of role players. The 11-12 Devils have a Captain with one foot out the door, and a former superstar with no defensive awareness at all.
You're right, what do the 07-08 Devils have to do with the 11-12 Devils?

#159 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

The 07-08 Devils made the playoffs. The 11-12 Devils most likely won't make the playoffs.
The 07-08 Devils had a big grip of role players. The 11-12 Devils have a Captain with one foot out the door, and a former superstar with no defensive awareness at all.
You're right, what do the 07-08 Devils have to do with the 11-12 Devils?

lol you have no idea what you are talking about. but there's always a few. the 11-12 team is better than the 07-08 team by a pretty wide margin.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#160 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

lol you have no idea what you are talking about. but there's always a few. the 11-12 team is better than the 07-08 team by a pretty wide margin.

I doubt that. Maybe on paper, but not in results.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 16 November 2011 - 12:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users