Devils in Contract Talks With Larsson

Daniel

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Tri's posts, it sound like Larsson will not play in the NHL in 2011-2012, unless there are extraordinary circumstances ?

Nobody knows that. All we can know is that it would be a bad idea in the long run to play him now, but that doesn't guarantee that he won't play. For example, it hurt us long term to play Josefson as many games as we did last season but we did that anyway.

if larsson played in the NHL next year and the league locked out for the entire year, his contract would lose another year. he would then have 1 year remaining on his entry level deal and he'd be 5 years away from being a UFA (assuming the rules didn't change). if he didn't play in the NHL this year, and the league locked out for the entire year, he'd have 3 years left on his entry level deal and 7 years before he became a UFA.

Will Lou be our GM in 5 years from now?

Will Lou be our GM in 5 years from now?

From what I was told, he shouldn't have been our GM two months ago. Not sure what changed but our ownership situation was supposed to be settled in April and maybe that is having an impact on everything.

almost certainly not, but it's not like larsson getting NHL time would be good for the team, he almost certainly won't be a good player in his first year, and he'll cost at least 2M on the cap.

you are probably right and quite frankly I do not see much room for Larsson anyway

I sense Salvador is playing and that is Larsson's spot.

Tallinder, T-mina, Greene, White, Frasier, Fayne, Volchenkov, Corrente, Salavdor

That list makes me realize someone is getting shipped out for sure

I still don't get the Taormina love.. He played great in 20 or so NHL games but did anyone know who he was beforehand? Same thing with Greene playing great the year Martin was out, so everyone assumed that next season he'd be Martin's cheaper replacement.. D'oh!!

I'll go ahead and say that I was impressed because he's one of the first Devils defensemen in a while that didn't seemed to be so bogged down by the "system" that he couldn't get involved in the offense for anything more than the power play or extremely rarely. He did the same thing at the AHL level, and while he's not as sound defensively as other guys, he represents something different for the organization, and I think it could help the team a lot.

IMO too early to say what will happen with him. Somebody is getting shipped on Defense and it will depend who it is. Also let say Salvador gets shipped and we get almost nothing in return (just salary dump) I still don't see him playing unless Taormina don't play in the NHL next season and this seems unlikely to happen.

The only 2 reasons I see him going down in the AHL:

- Starting the year in the AHL because he basically just missed a complete year and it doesn't hurt to get your game right down there instead of having a very slow start in the NHL.

- He don't impress at all at camp.

In both case I don't see how that makes Larsson the guy to take his spot. Urbom can be his replacement temporarily. Unless Fayne or Tao are ruled out of NHL for the year (not happening) I don't see him playing in the NHL since we are not replacing Salvador by another rookie. This would give us 3 rookies out of 6 defense-men.

Edited by SS-SS

Why does anyone have to get moved off of the defense this year? Corrente's not an NHL player and Fraser should be a #7 at best, utterly expendable. Plus you don't really know about Salvador's health until he starts taking hits. Larsson's not any kind of shoo-in to make the team, he'd have to really impress in camp. Shoot, you don't even know what Taormina is or whether he can stay healthy. You're not moving any of the top four unless you get another vet top four back since in all likelihood we'll try to avoid what happened this year in playing three rookies and second-year d at the same time.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I understand all of you but if he is ready i think they will put him on the team...

If he is not ready fine font push him to the NHL to quickly but if they think with what they saw that he is ready... I Think he will play in the NHL as soon as next year in that case...

Why does anyone have to get moved off of the defense this year? Corrente's not an NHL player and Fraser should be a #7 at best, utterly expendable. Plus you don't really know about Salvador's health until he starts taking hits. Larsson's not any kind of shoo-in to make the team, he'd have to really impress in camp. Shoot, you don't even know what Taormina is or whether he can stay healthy. You're not moving any of the top four unless you get another vet top four back since in all likelihood we'll try to avoid what happened this year in playing three rookies and second-year d at the same time.

+1

Interesting take, Has.

I'll go ahead and say that I was impressed because he's one of the first Devils defensemen in a while that didn't seemed to be so bogged down by the "system" that he couldn't get involved in the offense for anything more than the power play or extremely rarely. He did the same thing at the AHL level, and while he's not as sound defensively as other guys, he represents something different for the organization, and I think it could help the team a lot.

Well when I think of it that way I totally agree with you lol.. I just want to see more before speaking in absolutes about his future on the team

I still don't get the Taormina love.. He played great in 20 or so NHL games but did anyone know who he was beforehand? Same thing with Greene playing great the year Martin was out, so everyone assumed that next season he'd be Martin's cheaper replacement.. D'oh!!

I agree on the Taomina love. I don't think Dano likes this guy at all. I remember 2 occasions where Tao was horrible (playing with a handbag) around his own net.(Dano saying this is not Dev's hockey) He can't handle guys 200 lbs or more, they push him around in his own end. He's OK along the wall, and his speed helps him out on loose pucks. He's no Rafalski.

I don't get the the Taormina "hate". Recognizing that so far Taormina has played well in the situations he's been put in isn't "love", it's just recognizing reality. If Taormina was a 2nd or 3rd round pick and had the last 2 seasons then people would be excited for him. The last 4 years he's been outscoring most of the forwards he's played with. His defense isn't great, but if you make up for it with offense, that's ok.

I would hope people would have known who Taormina was before last year since he had a big year in Lowell the year before.

It certainly doesn't look like a fake.

Who else has an extremely awkward computer close-up of himself smiling?

:noclue: There are tons of morons who make fake Twitter accounts for no real reason. It doesn't hurt to be suspicious until someone verifies it. But there isn't really anything interesting on that page anyway so maybe it is real. If it is, I'm sure it won't be active for long. Unless he keeps it a secret from Uncle Lou.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Prospect camp starts tomorrow. Anyway, I told him welcome to Jersey and to have a great camp. LOL

:noclue: There are tons of morons who make fake Twitter accounts for no real reason. It doesn't hurt to be suspicious until someone verifies it. But there isn't really anything interesting on that page anyway so maybe it is real. If it is, I'm sure it won't be active for long. Unless he keeps it a secret from Uncle Lou.

On draft day I think that's what TG was saying when he posted the link to Larsson's twitter account.