Twitter buzz points to Guy Carbonneau being named new Devils Head Coac

USC09

There is huge Twitter Buzz that the Devils will name Guy Carbonneau as their new coach. I myself doubt it, because of his 2008-2009 tumultuous tenure in Montreal and the Devils just had the same with MacLean. Carbonneau though is more of a fiery guy than MacLean and the Devils like to hire ex-Habs coaches.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slim pickins at this point. I would be happy with anyone who knows the sport, knows how to communicate and can get the job done.

Unfortunately Carbs's biggest problem in Montreal was communicating and his results were mixed. This would smack of stopgap hiring Julien all over again because we didn't get the guy we really wanted (then Sutter now Eaves).

Slim pickins? Not really, Lou has a number of possible candidates to choose from.

It depends how you look at it, there are intriguing younger names but not a lot of proven guys other than Hitch, who's a giant ? post-lockout.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well my theory of what happened with Carbo in Mtl is that he wanted Halak in net and Gainey wanted Price and at that time it was alllllllways the same story

1. Price was having a bad game

2. Bringing Halak in

3. Halak was having a really good game, then was starting the next 1 or 2 games

4. Halak was still doing perfectly fine but woooop Price was in

5. Price was struggling again

and on and on and that year Halak got Montreal in the playoffs and Carbo got fired right before the playoffs and he told the media that "one day the truth would be known"... pretty sketchy, something was not right

then Gainey went behind the bench with Price in net and he did TERRIBLY and Gainey never tried Halak... got swept by Boston in 4.

IMO and thats only my theory is that Carbo and Gainey were having constant arguments about goaltending Carbo wanted Halak (when your goalie is having a good sequence you keep him there) and Gainey wanted his pricey first round pick in net and since thats why he fired Carbo he couldnt go in playoffs and go with Halak since he fired him because of that... Next thing you know the year after Gainey is gone and Halak played out of his mind and brought the Habs in conference finals.

There is huge Twitter Buzz that the Devils will name Guy Carbonneau as their new coach. I myself doubt it, because of his 2008-2009 tumultuous tenure in Montreal and the Devils just had the same with MacLean. Carbonneau though is more of a fiery guy than MacLean and the Devils like to hire ex-Habs coaches.

I wouldn't compare the two. Carbonneau lead his team to a 1st in the conference season in 2008, and the team was still in a playoff position when he was fired the next year (though the team was collapsing). I'm not saying there weren't issues with Carbs in Montreal, but it wasn't a MacLean level failure.

I do think part of his problem in 09 was they overachieved in 08 by so much it set unrealistic expectations in Montreal for '09 combined with the 100th anniversary. When the took a step back to what they probably were it cost him.

I loved Guy Carbonneau as a player, but not sure how I feel about this. I wonder if the rest of the staff would stay in place?

Is this really an 'all over the Internet' thing?

I loved Guy Carbonneau as a player, but not sure how I feel about this. I wonder if the rest of the staff would stay in place?

Is this really an 'all over the Internet' thing?

I know Guy and Larry Robinson are good friends so don't see a problem there,can't say the same thing about Oates.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

I read the article and his record isn't so bad. He was a Finalist for the Jack Adams Award after the Habs went 47-25-10 in 2007-08.

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur

I wouldn't be so quick to knock Oates, he's very much part of the songwriting.

I don't think he was knocking Oates, just saying he wasn't aware of a relationship between the two men.

Oh no... this isn't going to turn into a Are Hall and Oates dating thread now is it?

Daryl-Hall-and-John-Oates.jpg

you're a bad influence on me the mood I'm in today CarpFor....

I also keep jumping up every 5 seconds thinking a tornado is jumping on my ass.... it's south of us but FREAKIN' ME OUT! I hate being in sunlight with dark dark skies on the horizon....

Edited by Pepperkorn

Slim pickins at this point. I would be happy with anyone who knows the sport, knows how to communicate and can get the job done.

How is it slim? Who is out there that has been hired that we should've?

Carbs is a whatever pick if it is true. He's not MacLean and has proven himself to be capable of coaching a team to a win. Its not a glamourous or exciting hire, but Im going to give him till Thanksgiving at least (whoever it is) before sh!tting on him.

I would be more surprised by Carbonneau being hired than some other names despite the MTL connections.

I hate being in sunlight with dark dark skies on the horizon....

there's a song in there somewhere, I can FEEL it ;)

The more I think of Carbonneau as coach, I think it could be a great move.

It's definitely a 'Top 10 Hockey Name' from a pronunciation standpoint.

If we are getting Carbo as head coach I don't have any problems. Witnessed all his coaching saga with Montreal and I can't blame the guy. At that time the Montreal locker room was really sh!tty. The likes of Kovalev, Koivu etc were just cancers for the the locker room. If they had resigned Koivu and Kovalev I'm sure Montreal would be in the same kind of problems they had back then. He didn't even do a bad job with the half-assed team he had.

He is not my first choice, but if we get him I won't be the one saying its a bad choice.