White and Hunter bought out.

jagknife

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how long to teams have to claim hunter or white before they become buyouts?

I believe that if the official waiver notice was filed before 12 Noon today, teams have until 12 Noon tomorrow to claim both players. If the notice was filed after 12 Noon, teams have until 12 Noon on Wednesday to make claims.

Edit: I believe that the buyout can then be filed immediately after the period to claim the players expires.

Edited by devils26

I'd argue that the intangibles, a strong supporting cast, is just as important as having the superstars. And then I'd point to the Kovalchuk/Hossa years in Atlanta as exhibit A. And then Law and Order would play a "chung chung" and you'd hear a schpeel about the criminal justice system.

Right, but Elias and Brodeur still serve as that, and still have skill. I don't think Rolston and White contribute to this team as much as their cap space does, especially when it means you can fit some of your top draft picks and you can fit a guy like Kovalchuk. This team could easily have been the same team minus Kovalchuk if Lou hadn't made the trade a couple years ago, and it would be a very different team. We wouldn't be in quite the cap crunch we are, but I don't think we're a worse team because of it. And we gave away relatively little in terms of personnel to get him.

:whistling:

This is very interesting to say the least. I'm not too cut up about anything. I can't guess what's going on really. I CAN, but why bother?

I love thinning a herd - clutter drives me INSANE. I understand clutter for sentimental reasons, but there always comes a time you've got to clean house - maybe to upgrade maybe just to fvcking clean house! Honestly -- I'm giddy just from the cleanliness of it all.

I'd love for White to just retire with his gorgeous wife to FANTASTIC New Glasgow -- I cannot cry for a guy who is set to perfection to live out my dream life.

(and I love White -- but he's always been a disappointment to me. So much wasted size - he had a temper but it never translated significantly on ice... the good things balanced out the stupid things)

Agree! Not worth getting nucking futs over it. It is what it is sit back and enjoy the ride!

Hm, you know what wouldn't be a horrible idea is putting Salvador in the minors. The Devils will have so much cap room - 6.1m at the beginning of the year becomes 20m+ at the deadline. Even if Salvador is acquired on re-entry waivers if he was recalled (which I doubt he would be), the Devils would save money.

Very saddened to hear this about White. He was a whipping boy around here for a long time, but was a Devil through and through. Between practically playing with one eye, to being the vet on the blueline. Sad to see him go. On a personal note, still remember when he was only coming up around the same time I was getting hooked (19 now).

agreed. but with just 1 year left this helps out with the mistakes of keeping other players too long. Gonna miss you #5.

but it's good to get younger, faster and meaner. looking forward to the new blood

Hm, you know what wouldn't be a horrible idea is putting Salvador in the minors. The Devils will have so much cap room - 6.1m at the beginning of the year becomes 20m+ at the deadline. Even if Salvador is acquired on re-entry waivers if he was recalled (which I doubt he would be), the Devils would save money.

i'd throw Steckel in the minors too, i'd rather have Henrique filling his spot and growing with the young core of our team instead of him...he's also way cheaper.pus steckel is clearly gone when his contract expired so whats the point.

i'd throw Steckel in the minors too, i'd rather have Henrique filling his spot and growing with the young core of our team instead of him...he's also way cheaper.pus steckel is clearly gone when his contract expired so whats the point.

steckel is not going to the minors, and henrique can't fill his role.

Dude, Steckel isn't going to go anywhere. I don't understand how this guy has garnered so much discontent among some fans in such a short time here. Henrique scored 25 goals and 50 points last year, he is not a 4th line player or penalty killer (at least not right now). He is also not "way" cheaper. Steckel is $1.1 mil; Henrique about $850K. Steckel will play a decent 4th line center with PK time this year and then probably be gone next year.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

He's one of the better face off guys in the league. Why drop him to bring up someone who can continue to develop in the minors?

Dude, Steckel isn't going to go anywhere. I don't understand how this guy has garnered so much discontent among some fans in such a short time here. Henrique scored 25 goals and 50 points last year, he is not a 4th line player or penalty killer (at least not right now). He is also not "way" cheaper. Steckel is $1.1 mil; Henrique about $850K. Steckel will play a decent 4th line center with PK time this year and then probably be gone next year.

well i know that but all im saying is that he's expandable and if we need even more cap space he's the guy who should go, i wouldnt just throw him in the minors if we dont need that cap space.

well i know that but all im saying is that he's expandable and if we need even more cap space he's the guy who should go, i wouldnt just throw him in the minors if we dont need that cap space.

But he's not really expendable. He's a good 3rd line center who can win important faceoffs. That's pretty useful.

Dude, you're just killing yourself here.

We've seen Steckel for all of 2 months so far - lets see what he can do. We have NO IDEA how Henrique's game would translate YET.

Odds are it will be positive, however, you can't shake down the whole team with new rookies and expect them all to perform 82 games like NHL'ers.

You have to work them in gradually or risk ruining their confidence.

If you went to shed salary for the sake of shedding salary Zubrus or Clarkson are the big tickets.

Steckel's 450K or os difference os not going to pave the way for Shea Weber and Drew Doughty.

Give Henrique a chance to contribute without dumping a load of responsibility on him. As it is we are shipping out 2 Vets and waiving another - which may provide some interesting repercussions across the league.

Edited by DevilinLA

Dude, you're just killing yourself here.

We've seen Steckel for all of 2 months so far - lets see what he can do. We have NO IDEA how Henrique's game would translate YET.

Odds are it will be positive, however, you can't shake down the whole team with new rookies and expect them all to perform 82 games like NHL'ers.

You have to work them in gradually or risk ruining their confidence.

If you went to shed salary for the sake of shedding salary Zubrus or Clarkson are the big tickets.

Steckel's 450K or os difference os not going to pave the way for Shea Weber and Drew Doughty.

Give Henrique a chance to contribute without dumping a load of responsibility on him. As it is we are shipping out 2 Vets and waiving another - which may provide some interesting repercussions across the league.

Fine then wtv i said put pelley instead of henrique... Steckel never showed sny sign of brilliance and seems like his faceoffs only droppped once he was with us, we have enough with clarkson who can barely skate

I am partially surprised by this. I had a good feeling White could and should have been shopped around but I really didn't think he would garner nothing. I think JVB wanted White moved for a pick only and most teams couldn't do a trade without a body coming back.

Taormina, Larsson pair may actually come to life unless they split all the rookie's and sophomores from each other.

Lol fine guys, im just gonna remember all of you guys and eventually during the season you will all be swearing after the guy. Ill make sure to bring this back

All we're saying is that it makes no sense to banish Steckel to the minors in order to replace him with someone who will not do as well in his role, just to save like 300K or so. Even if Steckel was the most god awful player on the team this year, he's only making 1.1 mil and he's our fourth best center. It's not like it would hurt us that much.

Lol fine guys, im just gonna remember all of you guys and eventually during the season you will all be swearing after the guy. Ill make sure to bring this back

That's fine ... but can we give this guy at least a 1/2 season to show us?

He got traded from one team to another - he's a 4th line center, not sure what kind of "brilliance" you might be expecting?

Fine then wtv i said put pelley instead of henrique... Steckel never showed sny sign of brilliance and seems like his faceoffs only droppped once he was with us, we have enough with clarkson who can barely skate

steckel had won 63.7% of draws before he came to NJ. he won 62.5% of draws overall this year.

assuming that his faceoffs were in the same proportion as his ice time, he took 212 faceoffs as a devil. by some basic math, he won 58.4% of faceoffs for NJ. that's not a significant drop. one thing that people assume is that someone who is really good at faceoffs wins all of them. not true. out of 10 faceoffs, steckel will win one more than the average faceoff man. that's it.

Edited by Triumph

Wow, just wow. Steckel's big, has played big minutes on the penalty kill, is clearly a great faceoff guy (67% at home, better than 2 out of 3), and will probably fill the Bobby Carpenter/John Madden role very well. Maybe not as good of a defensive shut-down guy as those two, but will be a perfect 3rd/4th line center.

Of course, when he only has 4-5 goals by January, Stereo will be telling everyone that he told us he sucks. That's not his role. You really want to give a young kid 3rd-4th line, 10 minute-a-game experience?

This guy will be more valuable than you think.