White and Hunter bought out.

jagknife

steckel had won 63.7% of draws before he came to NJ. he won 62.5% of draws overall this year.

assuming that his faceoffs were in the same proportion as his ice time, he took 212 faceoffs as a devil. by some basic math, he won 58.4% of faceoffs for NJ. that's not a significant drop. one thing that people assume is that someone who is really good at faceoffs wins all of them. not true. out of 10 faceoffs, steckel will win one more than the average faceoff man. that's it.

Overall faceoff % is an overrated stat anyway. I am more interested what they do in offensive and defensive faceoffs with a weighted importance to special teams.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6`3 center winning that many important draws....worth 1 million on its own. Not to mention he is above average defensively. With Clarkson/Palmieri, Steckel, Zharkov and Boulton....our 4th line will be effective for the first time since MacKenzie and Stevenson were roaming the surface.

steckel had won 63.7% of draws before he came to NJ. he won 62.5% of draws overall this year.

assuming that his faceoffs were in the same proportion as his ice time, he took 212 faceoffs as a devil. by some basic math, he won 58.4% of faceoffs for NJ. that's not a significant drop. one thing that people assume is that someone who is really good at faceoffs wins all of them. not true. out of 10 faceoffs, steckel will win one more than the average faceoff man. that's it.

I think it's also important to note that over the last two seasons, Steckel's highest faceoff percentage has come in the defensive zone; this ability to take draws in the D-zone is a very important role that Steckel fills.

I haven't read all of this, so sorry if I'm repeating, but here goes. We have a lot of guys who are cheap, decent, and NHL ready with no place to put them. White's probably not going to be on the roster after this year anyway. I don't see Urbom, Corrente, or Tao benefiting from another year in the minors, and Larsson's gonna be in NJ for good soon. With Greene, Tallinder, the A-Train and Fayne locked up, that leaves 2 spots for 3 guys even without Larsson and White on the roster. While I question the Greene signing, and acknowledge the risk of playing 2 rookies big minutes on a team that's otherwise built for right now, at some point these guys need to sink or swim, and Tallinder at the very least will make them look good. Hopefully this move isn't about ownership, but even if it is, it's not a catastrophic one for the franchise.

I, for one, welcome the infusion of youth. Hopefully it brings a hunger and passion that has been lacking with this team for years.

Frankly, when everyone was hurt and the youngsters were forced to step in (both last year and the year before) the team played the best it had played. First half of '09 was one of the best first half's I've ever seen, and they did it with a ton of injuries.

It sucks to see Whitey go like this, but with his eye issue I'm doubting anyone will take a chance on him.

So, what time does the waiver window close? Did this news break around 3pm yesterday? Curious to see if anyone takes a flier on Whitey.

TG broke the news at 11:25 am yesterday so I'm thinking the waiver window closes at 12 noon today, but I can't be sure.

These sort of things happen when you have a full cupboard of prospects. New Jersey should be a cap friendly team as long as they continue drafting well.

well, yes and no. we've both remarked that after this wave of forwards, there really aren't many players behind them. wohlberg, hoeffel, and rodwell are all some variation of meh - if i could bet at even money that none of them would play 200 games in the NHL, i'd be pretty confident. the good news is that forwards take less time to develop, but still. NJ is going to have to augment its system with undrafted free agents.

Edited by Triumph

Why pick him up now? Let him get bought out, and then if you want him, sign him for significantly less than 3M, since he's already getting paid a million this year.

I would think his salary from the Devs wouldn't matter... unless Detroit, etc wants him and he plays for a discount....

but I think he is a 3mm caliber d-man in 2011-12... not much longer after that.

If you need an experienced d-man, can't we bring up Tommy Albelin from Albany?

:dance:

(hey point - we're taking the kid up to the Saranacs to learn the fine points of canoe travel! Island hopping with packs and canoe only for 7 days! You have to post more... :saddevil: )

Edited by Pepperkorn

Capgeek already has the buyouts on their page. Assuming a 23 man roster:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($6.000m) / Travis Zajac ($3.887m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.666m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / David Clarkson ($2.666m)

Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Nick Palmieri ($0.801m)

Eric Boulton ($0.662m) / Dave Steckel ($1.100m) / Cam Janssen ($0.525m)

Vladimir Zharkov ($0.577m) / Rod Pelley ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m)

Bryce Salvador ($2.900m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fraser ($0.550m)

Mark Fayne ($0.542m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($5.200m) / Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS: Colin White ($1.000m) / Jay Pandolfo ($0.833m) / Trent Hunter ($0.666m) / Andrew Peters ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,271,668; BONUSES: $240,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,028,332