Hurricane Irene

jagknife

NJ already under a State of Emergency. NY just did.

I'm almost sure it will hit by my house worse than Floyd did 12 years ago.

Best of luck to all of you and your families, be safe and not stupid!

Hopefully this doesn't happen up here on the roads like it did in Puerto Rico:

enhanced-buzz-12996-1314295179-8.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NJ already under a State of Emergency. NY just did.

I'm almost sure it will hit by my house worse than Floyd did 12 years ago.

Best of luck to all of you and your families, be safe and not stupid!

Hopefully this doesn't happen up here on the roads like it did in Puerto Rico:

enhanced-buzz-12996-1314295179-8.jpg

whaaaaaaat that is insane.. sharks just chillin in traffic

BTW that shark is shopped... i did research earlier haha, but its a REAL good photoshop job

i got chips, cereal, beer, pizza, water, movies, books and my iPad... im set

stay dry everyone!

Edited by Microwavepizza

BTW that shark is shopped... i did research earlier haha, but its a REAL good photoshop job

i got chips, cereal, beer, pizza, water, movies, books and my iPad... im set

stay dry everyone!

[in the Kyle from South Park voice] oh goddamnit!

now I can actually see where it was shopped.

I'm stocked up with crap too. I'm waiting for this thing to take a break wide right and miss all of us, ya know, since we're actually prepared.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

First Earthquake(said to expect little aftershocks in upcoming weeks)and now Big Hurricane. They said we get these once every 100 years or so and we get both in same week.

here in the Toms River area, hoping I don't have to evacuate the family....but damn a horrible name for a hurricane. Every time I hear the name I just sing, "come on Irene, oh you know what I mean..."

Be safe, its going right down the middle of the state...

and did you mean 'Come on Eileen'...?

I keep thinking of the scene in Blackhawk Down when the mission is a go and go back and forth with "Irene" "Mother fvcking Irene"

Be safe, its going right down the middle of the state...

and did you mean 'Come on Eileen'...?

I keep thinking of the scene in Blackhawk Down when the mission is a go and go back and forth with "Irene" "Mother fvcking Irene"

yeah i know the original song but that's just what keeps playing in my head when I hear it on the news :D Don't think I actually ever saw Blackhawk Down...

Hoboken Mayor gave an automated call telling people to leave for the weekend. I'm getting my car to a garage...

NYC subways flooded 2 years ago pretty badly from like 2 or 3 inches of rain...4-8 with a surge I think would do the job Satans... Ever ride that Earthquake ride at Universal?

This is all overblown horse sh!t. My sh!tty mayor bloomberg is trying to make up for his fvck ups during the snow storm. We aren't even going to be hit that badly. This is all so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.

Man I really hope you're right, I live at the bottom of a hill 1000 feet from the Raritan River.

I've been pretty much glued to this. Since last night, the track has shifted slightly to the east, which might actually make matters worse since that'll keep the eye right off the coast. Here's rooting for it to either make an unexpected landfall soon to sap its strength or shift further east and just stay the hell away from everyone.

Also, NOAA's map:

092739W5_NL_sm.gif

That should update automatically.

Stay safe, Jersey.

I think people around here are still taking this a little too lightly, mostly because they are used to ridiculous snow amounts being predicted that end up not materializing. A hurricane is not something to mess around with or take lightly. The reaction matches the unique threat level this storm poses. Let's hope it takes a turn and misses us, but if it doesn't, I pray everyone stays safe.

I think people around here are still taking this a little too lightly, mostly because they are used to ridiculous snow amounts being predicted that end up not materializing. A hurricane is not something to mess around with or take lightly. The reaction matches the unique threat level this storm poses. Let's hope it takes a turn and misses us, but if it doesn't, I pray everyone stays safe.

Agree. There were people who scoffed at Katrina too. You don't lose toughness points for taking a storm seriously.

From weather.com:

As of Thursday evening, tropical storm-force winds were up to 430 miles wide! This is the distance from Baltimore to Portland, Maine! Hurricane Irene's tropical storm-force wind field is larger than both Hurricane Ike (2008) and Hurricane Katrina (2005) at maximum size!

Fer real.

NOAA updates their Irene shiz every 3 hours, and 11 a.m. was the latest cycle. You can see the map I posted above updated itself. Before, the black dot hitting North Carolina had an M for Major Hurricane (Cat 3 or above). Now all the dots are an H (Cat 1 or 2). In the 8 a.m. cycle, the storm was a Cat 2, but they were expecting the warm water to pick it up to a Cat 3. I guess the water wasn't as warm as they expected. That's good news.