Which devils cup was your favorite?

Guest Devsrule

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which devils cup was your favorite?

oh no.. the drunken phone call WAS golden.. six people in my place drinking like mad

.. the replica Cup filled with champagne... and then the OH WINE comment on the

phone.. good times indeed !!!

Man it WAS a MISTAKE to play hockey they day after !!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked 2000 because even though the Devils were my favorite sports team since when I was 5 (1992), I wasn't able to really watch too many games, and none of my friends liked hockey until the 2000 playoffs. Last year's was fun, plus I went to the first game of the playoffs, and Game 4 against Ottawa. However, I think I liked 2000 more because I got to enjoy it with my friends and coming back against Philly was incredible.

1995. Sweeping the Red Wings was surprising and exhiliarating all at the same time. Like someone else said, the CAA was absolutely rocking. It was great to see the Devs come back from being bounced by the Rags the year before (even if we had to wait until January for the season to start). Having Doc call it was an added bonus. I was on vacation in northern Vermont at the time, and I remember flipping back and forth between Fox and CBC, especially during the post-game festivities. And then I stayed up for at least a half-hour afterward watching ESPN, absolutely starved for more coverage. (Actually, I did that after the other two Cup wins as well. :P )

Oh, and the Rats won the Calder Cup that year, so that made it even more special. :evil:

Well, i watched the game on tv in 95.. but did go to the parada with my dad... 2000 i just watched on tv.. but 03 I was there all day tailgatin.. and got to see the game in person.. so I will have to go with 03 as my favorite.. cause its a totally different experience when u see it right in front of ya... and cause thats the year i got (forced by Pando) to hold the cup also!!!

Question:  Was Langenbrunner hurt during the 2000 SCF?

Yes. He and Chambers. They watched the game from the dressing room, but were kicked out during the intermissions, so ABC did some interviews with the guys to fill time.

I'm gonna go with 1995. The first one is always special. But that this was the unbeatable Red Wings.... that every hockey analyst is predicting a sweep - FOR THE WINGS... that was just awesome.

And I think that it was also more special because it is the only one of the 3 cups where my brother and I were together. I mean, living in Halifax and Ottawa, there are not a whole lot of true Devils fans. I watched the tail end of 2003 with a group of guys that were split as to who they were hoping for, but none were true Devils fans. In 1995, I remember I finished crazy-gluing the cup together while he finished stapling together the giant 12 bristol-board sign while watching the celebration.

I dunno if you guys in the US have seen the ads that Home Depot now has the NHL colours? Well, my brother's home office is now red with white and black trim. (-:

Oh, how I would love to re-watch that series.... *hint* *hint* :lol:

Edited by Don Whiting

1995, by far. We'd been season ticket holders since the Devils came to New Jersey. We came to the game that night fully expecting to sweep the Wings, and we did. Our whole section, most of who had been there with us since the beginning, were all going wild. Our sons cried. It was truly one of the most memorable nights of my life!

For me it was 2003. I went to all the home playoff games and I went to both games in Boston and 3 out of the 4 games in Ottawa. The way we blew that 3-1 series lead against Ottawa and then went into game 7 and stole a game in their building was awesome. Plus the way we fought back and forth with the ducks until it came down to game 7. I remember how sick I felt all day in school and how I hadn't slept since we lost game 6 because I couldn't wait for game 7 to start. I was so nervous about us losing another game 7 in the finals. But we pulled this one out.

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE

These memories come flooding back to me.

McKay jumping on the glass getting the OT winner. Claude Lemieux shooting on the wing in Philadelphia. Niedermayer end to end rush in Detroit. Stevens getting the rebound in Pittsburgh and putting it in right after the Penguins score with about 30 seconds left in the game. Stevens leveling Kozlov then telling the whole Detroit bench "You're Next!" Peluso crying like a baby on the bench. The Devils having long stretches without allowing a shot on goal. It was something like 18 minutes in game 4 vs. Detroit,

I've been at both cup clinching games at home. The CAA was shaking more in 1995. People were jumping and down and hugging each other more (it seemed to me.),

Finally, one never forgets their 1st cup.

Rock, thanks for the awesome memories.

yeah, '95 will always be my favorite. I guess for the fans from the 80s like me, the first win was a huge monkey off our back.

You would have had to have heard "Nineteen-never" to understand what I mean.

Anyway it was awesome - and a sweep in the Final is an amazing thing to do, where Lemaire coached the pants off of Bowman.

After game 3 Bowman said he had never been so embarassed as he was after the loss the Devs handed the Wings in NJ that night!

The 2000 Cup will be remembered as the one that gave us legitimacy.

The 2003 Cup was so unexpected, I think we're still all trying to figure out exactly how it happened.

But the '95 Cup is my pick, because having followed this team since the days of Broten and Cirella, I never thought I'd see a Devils team play that well. I don't think this franchise will ever have another four games like the finals against Detroit. The Devils knocked the entire hockey world on its ass, for better or (in the eyes of the trapheads) for worse.

<JESTER>

The 2000 Cup will be remembered as the one that gave us legitimacy.

The 2003 Cup was so unexpected, I think we're still all trying to figure out exactly how it happened.

But the '95 Cup is my pick, because having followed this team since the days of Broten and Cirella, I never thought I'd see a Devils team play that well. I don't think this franchise will ever have another four games like the finals against Detroit. The Devils knocked the entire hockey world on its ass, for better or (in the eyes of the trapheads) for worse.

<JESTER>

I'm always so amazed when people didn't see last year coming, because it just looked and felt like it could happen at least half the year. The ability to rally late, the ability of different guys to step up. And just everyone in sync, even when they were struggling. That's a mark of a really great team -- and a lot like what the Sharks look like right now. Unfortunately that bunch of pissheads that beat us look like that too.

The more I look into this thread the more I go "no, it was '95" or "no it was '00". All three Cups are so special for SO many reasons. They all bring back so many personal memories.

Well I have to say 2000 since I was only 4 years old in 1995. :( And since the first year I began watching hockey was in 2000 i would have to say that winning that same year was really cool. Though 2003 was a great win 2000 was still a little more special since it was the first Stanley Cup that I saw the Devils win.

Tough call. The first is always special but for me I'd have to say 2003. In '95 after the run we had the year prior I was kind of expecting it. Even though the "powerful" RedWings stood in the way I didn't feel anyone could stop that team.

2000 with the A-Line, Mogilny, Lemieux coming back it all just seemed to fal into place. I remember telling one of my friends back in January that the Devils were going to win it all that year. That team was extremely talented and once they got the monkey of losing in the first round off their back I knew they were going to have a special run.

But last year was a total suprise. I never expected it. Came out of no where for me. I really didn't know what to think going into last season. Besides the fact I was at game 7 of the SCF being that was a year I never expected a Cup championship made it the most special for me.

I agree that 2000 was the most complete team we had. It was my favorite because it was the first Cup win I was able to watch. In 1995 I still hadn't persuaded my parents to get SportsChannel so I was watching blurry semi-images on the screen and listening to the play by play (it was still better than radio).