• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facts about Niedermayer:

He loves NJ

He wants to stay in NJ

He wants his brother to come to NJ

I think there have been plenty of players who loved New Jersey, enjoyed New Jersey, and wanted to stay in New Jersey.

But this is a hockey decision for Scott.

Face it: He's always had a chip on his shoulder over the way the team put Stevens and Brodeur first when it came to money. The only reason he could never leave is because he was restricted (and that, in 2000, asking for a trade right after a Cup win would have been career suicide).

Let's not forget that it was only back in 1998 when Nieder actually asked for a trade during a bitter negociation-- "What we've done, in view of the fact that we don't have an agreement, is ask for a trade. Lou hasn't gotten back to us yet, but I know that he has been saying he's not going to trade me. So why did I ask? Just so he knows how I feel. It's not my best option, but right now it's my only one." (Bergen Record)

I've grown to really respect Nieds as a person and a player. But let's not turn this into something it isn't. He always had one eye on winning a Cup with Jersey and another on the flight schedule out of Newark. Whether it's because of Lou or because of the style the team plays, that's just how it is.

And if he leaves after this season...well, the Devils will adjust. Matty, White, Martin, Hale, Rafi and a rook...you could do worse, especially if Martin continues to progress and Hale builds on the promise of the last few weeks of the season.

<JESTER>

I will take Jovo, Federov and Allen from Vancouver if they want Nieds.

Oh thats right they can't afford Nieds.

If the Canucks want Niedermayer, they want him to be paired up with Jovo and there is no way in hell they will let Jovocop go.

You don't want the useless heap that Fedor Fedorov is. Unmotivated, irresponsible and immature, at 23, the guy still doesn't play up to a 1/4 of his potential. He's gotten in so much trouble with the coaches and the team management that at one point, they didn't play him for several games and said he was done in their organization and were prepared to trade him. But he was Brian Burke's golden child and never got sent away. This kid is ridiculous, you don't need him.

Allen is not bad.

Per GM Nonis, Canucks plan to dip into the FA market this season. They could sign a couple of players.

It's not a surprise Nieds filed for arbitration. The result and the actions from there on should be more interesting.

It's a business, and in any business you HAVE to keep your options open.

Filing for arbitration is clearly in Scott's best interest if things go south with the negotiations.

That's not to say that he won't re-sign before the hearing (like a month+ from now), but if nothing could be worked out by then, he's managed to screw himself by not filing.

This isn't that big of a deal.

He filed for arbitrastion... he didn;t request a trade... He didn;t state publicly that he was going to test free agency....

LL can still negotiate a long term deal, this just gives Neids a little more negotiating power....

And if LL needs to bring Rob Neids here to keep Scott happy then DO IT!!!

He's as good or better then the other interchangeable parts we have....

Nieder made the only move he could for himself. If the Devils want him they need to make a respectible offer. That being said Lou can stop the arbritation by making a resonable offer to Nieder before the mug slinging.

It's Nieder's turn to make for his family just like it was with Holik when he took the Ranger deal over the deferred money Devils' offer..

Yes, let's trade one of the most valuable players on the Devils just because he has filed for arbitration. :rolleyes: He just filed for arbitration, there hasn't been a hearing yet and even if it comes to that, there would still be another year. A lot can happen in that time and Lou is not stupid. He knows that Nieds is an important part of the team and that he needs to sign him long term. I just don't think it's time to start freaking out and thinking of trade proposals.

True, but a lot of us (whether we admit it or not) are still sour about the Bobby Holik situation; I think that's why many of us are pretty much closing the book on the Niedermayer chronicles, you know? I guess we're pretty much on the defensive about it.

If this arbitration happens (if neids/devs dont sign longterm beforehand), I think

Lou will be more "gentile" in his approach with neids. Hard to argue with a norris trophy winner. No one wants to let him go, but nj doesnt have that kinda $$$.

Arbitration is painful for both sides. If neids thinks he's gettin screwed, he'll go elsewhere next year anyway. Maybe neids wants to go out west. 3 cups/ 1 norris, he's got nothing else to prove in nj.

Does it HAVE to be a one-year deal? Like say he's awarded $9.2 mil... could we sign him for a four-year $36.8 mil contract, if he agrees?

Well they will only award a one year deal if he is one year from UFA, otherwise the max awarded is two years. He can always sign a new contract during the year.

Isnt it just the same old story? 3 stanely cups, all star games, gold medals, and now the Norris trophy...whats next you ask?...money. Doesnt it always come back to that?.

"Now that I have fullfilled my dreams and won trophies, its time to work on my portfolio"

I hate to make it sound so...blunt. But, in today's era of sports, any sports, its all about the money and the shoe(skate) contract.

Then again, what do I know? In KY some of the greatest atheletes still turn up at the glue factory when they're retired. And yes, Im talking horses.

I will take Jovo, Federov and Allen from Vancouver if they want Nieds.

Oh thats right they can't afford Nieds.

You're not getting all three of those guys for Niedermayer. Not when Jovanovski is younger and almost on par with Nieds. I'd say:

Ohlund, J. Ruutu and Allen

or Ohlund, Allen and a 2nd round pick