2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Once Cory was off the market, Pittsburgh's options were limited, and besides, Fleury has been a solid regular season goalie who did have a terrific SC run before (ironically, not the one that culminated in his team winning). Very reasonable terms. He will probably finish his career with 500+ wins as long as he stays healthy and keeps playing on good teams.

Would've been interesting if both had reached the market...I did think MAF could've wound up here while Schneider went to Pitt, but judging from Cory's comments after he re-signed, he might've just re-signed before he became a UFA...he didn't seem all that interested in testing the market and getting wined-and-dined the way that some guys do.

I think Niemi is the only possible UFA that's even remotely attractive as a reliable #1 unless there's a young goalie who really breaks out this year.

And it doesn't even pass the eye test. One of the most substandard train stations I've seen in any major city, including some third world countries I've been to ("emerging economies"). Huge lines, overcrowding, stifling air quality, and what, like 9 foot ceilings?

It's a fantastic microcosm of everything one could dislike in NYC. 

Now where does Dolan take his big top circus of mediocrity next? A lot can change in a decade, but I can't see them finding a spot in Manhattan unless the post office across the street becomes available. 

Mike Yeo has told Ruso that Zach Parise is out with concussion.

Well everything is going right for this guy. Wanted to make lots of money, wanted to be home and spend time with his sick dad.

Now that he's out he can spend time with his dad, he's home and making 11m a year not doing anything. 

Edited by SterioDesign

This is terrible terrible terrible news

So with all this good news rolling in, why did league chief operating officer John Collins  come out at a sports media technology conference  and ruin everyone’s good feelings by announcing advertising on NHL jerseys is “coming and happening” and that NHL had recently seen a proposal to reemploy the infamous glowing puck (as seen on Fox hockey broadcasts in the 1990s)? At long last, has the league no decency, no base-level restraint so as not to carpet-bomb consumers of its product with endless corporate hawking?

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/ads-on-jerseys-glowing-pucks-have-ye-no-shame-nhl/ar-AA6V5Dt?ocid=iehp

Edited by SterioDesign

a glowing puck? what is that about

Back in the mid to late 90's when Fox had the exclusive rights to the NHL games during the Saturday afternoon games and playoffs, they developed a technology where they put chips inside the game pucks along with cameras all around the arena.  The cameras picked up where the puck is and in the video truck outside they took the live game feed and put a blue-ish glow around the puck wherever the puck was.  When a player shot the puck above something like 60-70 mph they put in a red comet tail on the path where it was.  This was done as one of the biggest complaints about watching hockey on TV before the introduction of HDTV was that it was hard to see the puck on TV.  This proved to be more distracting to a lot of fans than helping so they got rid of it after about 2-3 seasons.

Here is video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlRCGR10uBg

thanks for the video devsman..but damn that has 80s written all over it.. lets hope they do not bring that back to todays game..annoying that nothing can ever be left alone.. with the clarity and HD output of todays games if you cannot see the puck on your tv its time to upgrade.

thanks for the video devsman..but damn that has 80s written all over it.. lets hope they do not bring that back to todays game..annoying that nothing can ever be left alone.. with the clarity and HD output of todays games if you cannot see the puck on your tv its time to upgrade.

Yeah it was for an era that was still viewing games on Standard Definition with 4:3 aspect ratio and in a time when 32" and above was considered a big screen TV.  Now in the age of where anything less than a 47" is small and we have 1080p, 1080i and even 4K resolution, the need for this is very small and I really do not know why the NHL is even looking into this unless to wow people again with it's novelty that will surely wear off pretty quickly.

I actually wish they would bring those All-Star jersey's back. :P I also miss Jagr and his JOFA helmet.

You can blame the Reebok Edge template for that.  When the Edge jerseys were being worked on in the 1-2 years before they came out in 2007, teams like Colorado and Dallas who had those funky designs (Colorado for the mountain shape on the bottom of the jersey and Dallas for basically using the 1994 all-star template) had to get rid of them as Reebok couldn't replicate that with the way the Edge jerseys are built.

However it seems Reebok has gotten better in the last couple of years with being able to pin down older designs that were once thought impossible on the Edge template so who knows?

All-star games back then used to be fun and something you looked forward to.  Now it is just basically a 4-5 day long break that I wish wouldn't be there at the end of Jan.  I really do not find a lot of the players in it all that compelling anymore and even the fantasy draft has worn off a couple years in.

You can blame the Reebok Edge template for that. When the Edge jerseys were being worked on in the 1-2 years before they came out in 2007, teams like Colorado and Dallas who had those funky designs (Colorado for the mountain shape on the bottom of the jersey and Dallas for basically using the 1994 all-star template) had to get rid of them as Reebok couldn't replicate that with the way the Edge jerseys are built.

However it seems Reebok has gotten better in the last couple of years with being able to pin down older designs that were once thought impossible on the Edge template so who knows?

All-star games back then used to be fun and something you looked forward to. Now it is just basically a 4-5 day long break that I wish wouldn't be there at the end of Jan. I really do not find a lot of the players in it all that compelling anymore and even the fantasy draft has worn off a couple years in.

I'm far more interested in the skills competition than the game itself. At least the skills comp is unique. The all star game is just a regular NHL game except no one hits, there's little defense and no real team strategy. Edited by ATLL765

Yeah, this isn't very good.  The SHL is basically as good as the AHL, someone who does that in the AHL probably isn't that good a player unless he can do other stuff, and we know Tedenby cannot.

I was just stating a fact. He is doing better then when he was in the AHL and of course the NHL with the Devils. Are you mocking me?