2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Same return as the Devils got for Jagr (actually potentially better since the 2nd and 3rd in the Glencross deal are for the 2015 draft), so I think Calgary did very well. That's also a current playoff team trading an upcoming UFA. (EDIT, just outside of the playoffs, thanks GHDI...what have I done)

Thinking Lou pulled the trigger a little too early on Jagr. He hasn't been on this end before, and it might have shown. Not saying he was going to get a lot more, but you never know.

Not really since the 2nd round pick that the Devils figure to get from the Panthers is better than the one they would've gotten from Washington.  Devils did just fine.

Edited by Triumph

Okay I have a question. I'm watching top 10 defenders in NHL history and they have Leetch at 5. Thoughts on how he ranks among best defenders and even against our own great ones?

He's deserved of a top 15 spot IMO. I wouldnt rank him in the top 10 personally, but he wouldnt be that far out of there. Easily one of the top 2 American defenders ever. #5 is entirely too high though. Off the top of my head: Orr, Robinson, Potvin, Lidstrom, and Bourque were all better than him, not necessarily in that order, those are just 5 names better. Against Niedermayer and Stevens, I'm biased b/c obviously and its extremely hard to say Leetch is better than them, it'd depend on situation. I'd rather Stevens for his position and his mind games, and I'd take Nieds for skating/PP quarterbacking. Leetch is kind of a jack of all trades compared to those two, but Stevens/Nieds are two of the best ever at what they provided.

Edited by ghdi

Erik Cole to Detroit 

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/572191554737217536

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/572192683931901952

DET sending two prospects and a second for Cole and a third.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/572192997875585024

DAL gets pick back if DET gets to third round and Cole plays 50 per cent of the games.

Edited by ghdi

he probably could of gotten more elsewhere (personally I don't think he's worth a penny more) but clearly he feels they have a good thing going on over there and ended up taking the home team discount.  Nice to see not every player feels the need to milk every penny out of it.  They are few and far between.

Zuccarello signing for 4/18 - is a real shocker. I mean jesus, who is this guy's agent and who is advising him? He left 10M, maybe more, on the table. Not happy - I was hoping the Devils would throw money at him.

We discussed this - I'm not really shocked.  Zuccarello's not going to sign for big dollars anywhere that's ready to win now.  Also the Scandanavian players tend to take less (seriously).

Edited by Triumph

Zuccarello signing for 4/18 - is a real shocker. I mean jesus, who is this guy's agent and who is advising him? He left 10M, maybe more, on the table. Not happy - I was hoping the Devils would throw money at him.

He is very overrated for what he does, not a tremendous amount of skill on his part. He has decent vision and playmaking ability but he isnt a great shooter and hes small. His greatest attribute is his hustle and locker room prowess

No matter where Zuccarello went, i don't believe for a second that he would break 4/20M. He's a skilled player but still not that good, and he's a complimentary piece. On the Devils he would probably score 25-30 points.

Edited by Neb00rs

No matter where Zuccarello went, i don't believe for a second that he would break 4/20M. He's a skilled player but still not that good, and he's a complimentary piece. On the Devils he would probably score 25-30 points.

The market is completely barren and there are several teams, the Devils included, that desperately need help at RW.  He is a complementary piece but even so he would score more than 25-30 points on the Devils.  And I believe they would've had to have strong interest in him.

I got a funny feeling we're going to end up with Martin St. Louis next offseason. 2 year deal...and hopefully he can put up 50 points in each of those seasons.

Best target now is Boedker.

I want zero part of St Louis. Guys a fvcking dinosaur, we dont need anymore players over 29. I would murder someone if it meant we could have Boedker though

The market is completely barren and there are several teams, the Devils included, that desperately need help at RW.  He is a complementary piece but even so he would score more than 25-30 points on the Devils.  And I believe they would've had to have strong interest in him.

Admittedly I hadn't looked at the upcoming market until now. Yeah, it's empty, aside from a few okay choices that would have been pretty good choices a few years ago. I would be more than surprised if the Devils got St. Louis, so I suppose Mats would have been a good option before he re-signed. The 25-30 points is more of a hyperbolic low blow at what the Devils have done to free agent forwards in this league (not that the team could necessarily have done anything to stop these players' decline): Ryder, Clowe, no-name, Shanahan, etc... As of now Zuccarrello is a one-note forward on a good team. On the Devils he would be a fish out of water and the central target of opposing teams' defensive strategies. I'd be surprised if he eclipsed 40 points in NJ. And he plays very little on the PK (though I am sure Lou would see to the end of that).

Admittedly I hadn't looked at the upcoming market until now. Yeah, it's empty, aside from a few okay choices that would have been pretty good choices a few years ago. I would be more than surprised if the Devils got St. Louis, so I suppose Mats would have been a good option before he re-signed. The 25-30 points is more of a hyperbolic low blow at what the Devils have done to free agent forwards in this league (not that the team could necessarily have done anything to stop these players' decline): Ryder, Clowe, no-name, Shanahan, etc... As of now Zuccarrello is a one-note forward on a good team. On the Devils he would be a fish out of water and the central target of opposing teams' defensive strategies. I'd be surprised if he eclipsed 40 points in NJ. And he plays very little on the PK (though I am sure Lou would see to the end of that).

He'd be the Devils' first option on the power play, he'd get a lot of points doing this alone.  The idea of targeting or whatever isn't really borne out by evidence.  

Ryder is a guy who is no good with the puck.  He needs other people to get him the puck.  Zuccarello is a guy good with the puck, he would've done fine here.  As Jagr was and so on.

He'd be the Devils' first option on the power play, he'd get a lot of points doing this alone.  The idea of targeting or whatever isn't really borne out by evidence.  

Ryder is a guy who is no good with the puck.  He needs other people to get him the puck.  Zuccarello is a guy good with the puck, he would've done fine here.  As Jagr was and so on.

This may be. He might very well lead our team in scoring. My point is, we better have a better answer out there, because if he's it then he is going to be leading our team with 15 goals and 25 assists. Just look how dreadful things are this year (thank heavens for Buffalo). Nonetheless, as far as I am concerned (and I am in the pro-Lou camp) as soon as he puts on the red sweater, the Devils are going to change his game completely. I see Zuc struggling for a few weeks and getting used to the team and the system, then having a few months of success, then a few months of struggle, and then finally complete confusion and disillusionment until the point where he is standing over the Great Falls of the Passaic River, wondering if it was all worth it or whether he should have stayed back in his little cottage in Norway, sipping hot coco and tearing up one of the Scandinavian leagues, believing himself to be capable of anything. 

I got a funny feeling we're going to end up with Martin St. Louis next offseason. 2 year deal...and hopefully he can put up 50 points in each of those seasons.

Best target now is Boedker.

I hadn't thought of that before but jesus I could actually see him as next season's version of Jagr, a placeholder filler.  It would make me roll my eyes, but they need RW's somewhere :P

If the Blues want to make a deep playoff run, they would be smart to find a backup goalie before the deadline or else finally entrust Elliot to start full time, including the rest of this season and playoffs. Allen just doesn't seem to have it. He's been pretty solid the past two months, but he is just sooo inconsistent and after two disasters in a row, he's down to a .903 sv pct. on the season.

Edited by Neb00rs