2014-15 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

I don't think so. Kinkaid has earned the right to be in the NHL - the AHL playoffs aren't important enough to send a UFA goalie back to the minors to help them out.

Plus Kinkaid has to go through waivers which is more of a big deal now that he has a few games under his belt than it did when he was getting shuttled back and forth with zero NHL starts.

He's like 26, how is he waiver exempt? I could have sworn he had to go through waivers earlier this season.

He was signed in 2011 when I think he was 22, so he's exempt for 4 years or 60 NHL games, whichever comes first. This would be the last year he is exempt if I have that right about his age and the rule.

Albany defeated Bridgeport 5-3. Thompson led the way with 2 goals, followed by Whitney with a goal and an assist. Thomson and Matteau had the other goals. Scarlett had 3 assists followed by Sislo and K. Zajac with 2 and Helgeson and D. Zajac with 1 each. K. Zajac led the team with 4 shots as the Devils were outshot 34-31. Clemmensen made 31 saves on 34 shots. Albany went 3/6 on the PP and 4/5 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Notes:
-- Whitney is back with the ADevils and Bell was sent back to Evansville.
-- Matteau has 4 goals and 3 assists over his last 6 games.
-- Thompson: 39 GP 21-14-35, +14, 53 PIM, 15.0 SH%, 3.59 SH/GP --
-- Thompson was just added to the All-Star roster (Whitney is on it too) and leads the league in goals.
-- Scarlett has a goal and 9 assists over his last 9 games.
-- Albany's PP is 8/21 in their last 3 games.

Line Up (via ADevils twitter):
Whitney-K. Zajac-Thompson
Boucher-D. Zajac-Sislo
Matteau-Wohlberg-Thomson
McKelvie-Pelley-Johnson

Helgeson-Scarlett
Burlon-McPherson
Kelly-Keenan

Edited by thefiestygoat

It's really good to see Scarlett stepping up and playing so well lately after he seemed to be struggling just to get into the lineup earlier in the season. I doubt that he comes out of the lineup if he keeps putting up points the way he has been. He had 20 points in 48 games last year and he already has 16 points in 24 games this year. I'm not sure how many of his assists are primary or if he's getting a bit lucky right now, but the numbers he's put up are a significant improvement over last season.

It's also great that Matteau has broken out of his funk and really gotten hot. He had 9 points in his first 29 games and has 7 points in his last 7 games if I'm doing my math right. I mean, at one point he was shooting just barely over 2% and at least now he's up to 7.6%.

Has Thompson  ever played at the NHL level ?

No. He doesn't even have an NHL contract at the moment. He's signed to just an AHL deal.

The thing that's concerning about him is that he's already 26 and that he's never had anything close to the kind of season he's having this year. He put up 20-9-29 in 58GP in 2012-13 in Wilkes-Barre Scranton, but that's the best season he's had before this year. Last season he only put up 8-7-15 in 69 games. However, he has 140 shots already and he only had 157 the year he scored 20 goals, so at least that's a good sign.

Edited by ATLL765

Thompson is your classic AAAA player.  He might have a nice AHL career as a guy who occasionally gets NHL callups when the big squad suffers a rash of injuries, but nothing more than that.  Like ATLL765 pointed out...he's 26 years old.  He's also shooting 15% on the season.  Just don't see him ever contributing much as an NHLer.   

Well sure, I get that, but I think they need to get up here and a chance to see what he can do..we certainly don't have anything to lose. Perhaps after the deadline.

Yeah, should be spots open post-deadline (maybe even earlier).  Nothing to lose with giving a guy like Thompson some NHL minutes if there's no else to take them.  The good thing about that is that any delusion that Thompson is some gem waiting to be unearthed should be put to rest pretty quickly. 

He's not a gem, but he could be an NHLer.

Shots/Game by month:

October:  2.71 S/G

November:  2.66 S/G

December:  4.2 S/G

January:  4.7 S/G

I imagine he'll get a shot once Ryder is hopefully gone.  

Looks to be our Sceviour

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

On Thompson: His numbers this year have to be inflated. You don't go from 15 points in 69 games last season and having never put up more than .5ppg in a seasonto scoring at close to a 1ppg without some serious luck.

That being said, at least he's a RW with some size at 6'1" 205lbs, so maybe we get really lucky and he can be another Bernier type bottom 6 guy. Not too physical a player, but has enough offensive talent to put up a few points and not look out of place on a line with more talented players.

Anyone watch ECHL all star game on NHL channel? M. Bell  almost had the hat trick a couple times. (1 clean breakaway couple  on doorstop) I also heard an interview on "War Room" with the current owner of Orlando Solar Bears and he was an employee and friend of Lou's although he grew up in Flyer country.  Vince Williams is the coach (he was asst under Kowalski (albany) when they were in Trenton.

Also, The Norfolk Admirals are being sold and moving out west, and Norfolk is getting an ECHL team. Hopefully they'll have some affiliation. LIKE NJ)? 

Also, The Norfolk Admirals are being sold and moving out west, and Norfolk is getting an ECHL team. Hopefully they'll have some affiliation. LIKE NJ)? 

Given that the incoming ECHL team is owned by Edmonton, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't affiliated with the Oilers.

Given that the incoming ECHL team is owned by Edmonton, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't affiliated with the Oilers.

Didn't know that. At least we'll have some form of pro hockey here. We are isolated distance wise a lil

If you want to know what happened with Albany last week then check out my post here:

AHL Notes - Looks like the Devils signed Mike Keenan to an AHL deal and Sestito is back via the AHL transactions page.

Some ECHL action that happened rerecently:

ECHL 1/27
Orlando lost to South Carolina 2-1
Eric Baier D: E, 1 Shot

ECHL 1/28
Evansville lost to Reading 7-2
Myles Bell RW: -3, 2 PIM (Tripping), 2 SHots

-- First 7 games: 7-1-8, 22.58 SH%, 4.43 SH/GP
-- Last 21 games: 1-6-7, 2.08 SH%, 2.29 SH/GP

Albany defeated Lehigh Valley 4-1. Burlon led the way with a goal and an assist. Whitney, Sislo, and Thomson had the other goals. Sestito had 2 assists while Thompson, McPherson, D. Zajac, and Scarlett had one each. Sislo had 5 shots followed by K. Zajac with 4 as the Devils were outshot 36-22. Wedgewood made 35 saves on 36 shots. Albany went 0/5 on the PP and 4/5 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:
-- Albany now has a 7 game point streak.
-- Wedgewood finally breaks the .900 mark with a .902 SV% thru 22 games!
-- Burlon has 2 goals and 3 assists over his last 5 games.
-- Thomson has 2 goals and 2 assists over his last 5 games.
-- Scarlett has a goal and 10 assists in 13 January games.

Whitney-Sestito-Thompson
Boucher-K. Zajac-Sislo
Matteau-D. Zajac-Thomson
McKelvie-Pelley-Carrier

Keenan-Scarlett
Burlon-McPherson
Faust-Kelly

Albany defeated Lehigh Valley 4-1. Burlon led the way with a goal and an assist. Whitney, Sislo, and Thomson had the other goals. Sestito had 2 assists while Thompson, McPherson, D. Zajac, and Scarlett had one each. Sislo had 5 shots followed by K. Zajac with 4 as the Devils were outshot 36-22. Wedgewood made 35 saves on 36 shots. Albany went 0/5 on the PP and 4/5 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:

-- Albany now has a 7 game point streak.

-- Wedgewood finally breaks the .900 mark with a .902 SV% thru 22 games!

-- Burlon has 2 goals and 3 assists over his last 5 games.

-- Thomson has 2 goals and 2 assists over his last 5 games.

-- Scarlett has a goal and 10 assists in 13 January games.

Whitney-Sestito-Thompson

Boucher-K. Zajac-Sislo

Matteau-D. Zajac-Thomson

McKelvie-Pelley-Carrier

Keenan-Scarlett

Burlon-McPherson

Faust-Kelly

Is Burlon developing into a reliable d man?  I've only seen him play a few games, and he is a great skater.  Nice run they're on at the moment. Pelley 4th line?

Albany lost to St. John's 4-1. Sestito had the lone Devils goal. Boucher had a game high 6 shots as the Devils outshot the Ice Caps 23-15. Clemmensen made 11 saves on 15 shots. Albany went 0/4 on the PP and 2/3 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Whitney-Sestito-Thompson
Boucher-D. Zajac-Sislo
Matteau-Wohlberg-Thomson
Johnson-Pelley-McKelvie

Helgeson-Scarlett
Kelly-Burlon
McPherson-Keenan

ECHL
Evansville defeated Gwinnett 4-1
Myles Bell RW: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Boarding), 2 Shots

Orlando defeated South Carolina 4-0