Devils Membership Program?

ghdi

Yeah gotta love someone who basically said he only cares about following winning teams. Just hold up a sign that says "FAIR-WEATHER". But the more comical part is to then claim 2012 was "fluke" when we beat 2 teams heavily favored including the Rangers who almost won the Presidents Trophy, and then missed out on the Cup by 2 wins. Yup, so fluky! We must have only had like 6 or 7 shots per game in all those series, with players blindfolded of course, and somehow the pucks slipped through the goalies' pads.. So fluky!!

Yeah, the whole "the 2012 playoff run was a fluke" narrative really sucks...it's just an attempt to lump all of the last five seasons (including this one) together.  The 2010-11 second half was a fair indicator that the 2011-12 season would be better.  Especially since Parise was coming back after having missed most of the 10-11 season.  If anything, it was the first half of 2010-11 that seems fluky by comparison.   

Yeah, the whole "the 2012 playoff run was a fluke" narrative really sucks...it's just an attempt to lump all of the last five seasons (including this one) together.  The 2010-11 second half was a fair indicator that the 2011-12 season would be better.  Especially since Parise was coming back after having missed most of the 10-11 season.  If anything, it was the first half of 2010-11 that seems fluky by comparison.   

Yup and it frustrates the heck out of me. You just don't make it that close to the Cup by "a fluke".

Anyway, speaking more to the benefits of this new flex-plan style Membership (pulled from my HF post on it):

It's great in a lot of different ways. STH who sell a lot of games and then complain about resale value no longer have to. They can go to only the games they want, so they don't have to worry about selling the ones they don't.

This is especially true for you CR: Families can also now vary the number of tickets they buy per game. For instance, maybe Dad usually goes alone to midweek games but the wife and kids like to attend occasional weekend games. Before, Dad would have to buy 4 tickets and try to sell his 3 unused ones for his weekday games. Dad can now buy 1 lower level ticket to his midweek games (without having to sell the other 3), and then buy 4 100-level seats to the weekday games his family wants to attend. He can also now just buy 3 tickets if one kid can't go, or 5 tickets if one kid wants to bring a friend.

The other bonus, aside from a ton of flexibility and the perks, is that by having these fans only buy the exact number of tickets they need for only the games they plan to attend, it'll cut down on people dumping tickets on secondary markets.

Also I might add that having a Stanley-cup caliber team for years didn't exactly fill up the arena either.  I distinctly remember in the 2001 playoffs in the first round against Carolina game 2 (the one where Stevens checked Willis into the next century at the end of the game) the arena was maybe 80% full (I was there and the upper areas there were decent sized chunks of empty seats). 

They couldn't even sell out a playoff game the year after they won their 2nd cup (and with the Rags and Isles not even in the playoffs) so success with this team is not the be all-end all with selling seats for this team.

It was Easter Sunday.  The game was an announced sellout.  Every playoff game that year was a sellout.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=210415011

Anyway, speaking more to the benefits of this new flex-plan style Membership (pulled from my HF post on it):

It's great in a lot of different ways. STH who sell a lot of games and then complain about resale value no longer have to. They can go to only the games they want, so they don't have to worry about selling the ones they don't.

This is especially true for you CR: Families can also now vary the number of tickets they buy per game. For instance, maybe Dad usually goes alone to midweek games but the wife and kids like to attend occasional weekend games. Before, Dad would have to buy 4 tickets and try to sell his 3 unused ones for his weekday games. Dad can now buy 1 lower level ticket to his midweek games (without having to sell the other 3), and then buy 4 100-level seats to the weekday games his family wants to attend. He can also now just buy 3 tickets if one kid can't go, or 5 tickets if one kid wants to bring a friend.

The other bonus, aside from a ton of flexibility and the perks, is that by having these fans only buy the exact number of tickets they need for only the games they plan to attend, it'll cut down on people dumping tickets on secondary markets.

Have any other franchises offered something like this?  Because it makes an absurd amount of sense.  The flexibility with this really makes this appealing. 

It was Easter Sunday.  The game was an announced sellout.  Every playoff game that year was a sellout.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=210415011

It was announced as a sell out, but there were certainly large chunks of seats with butts missing in them.  Can't use the "they were in the lounges/clubs/restaurant" excuse as outside of the winners club there wasn't much to see/do around that arena.

Same thing goes for the first round in the 2000 Cup run as well against the Panthers.  Remember even bigger chunks of seats without people in them during that round.

Edited by DevsMan84

Have any other franchises offered something like this?  Because it makes an absurd amount of sense.  The flexibility with this really makes this appealing. 

Can't say I've ever heard of it like this before. I mean flex plans have been used by many teams including the Devils in the past, but this takes it to a new level with the Membership aspect. It's obviously a bigger financial commitment than a flex plan, but you can see by the sheet I posted on the previous page that it comes with a bunch of cool perks that appeal to every audience. Pretty genius concept and I hear it's selling very well despite barely being announced.

The only thing I am worried about is if they decide to make membership cards to replace ticket stubs for these.  You can kiss getting cheap tickets on SH goodbye then.

They have those in English football.  I bought tickets off the UK equivalent of StubHub to see Arsenal play in 2007.  The "broker" left the season ticket cards at my hotel a day before the game, and I had to meet up with a person from the company after the game to drop the cards off, otherwise I would have been charged over 1000 british pounds for each card (which was over $2000 back then).  Really weird and sketchy system, but there really wasn't much other choice.   

Can't say I would be a fan of that system, even though it seemed to make entry into the stadium faster than here in the US. 

They have those in English football.  I bought tickets off the UK equivalent of StubHub to see Arsenal play in 2007.  The "broker" left the season ticket cards at my hotel a day before the game, and I had to meet up with a person from the company after the game to drop the cards off, otherwise I would have been charged over 1000 british pounds for each card (which was over $2000 back then).  Really weird and sketchy system, but there really wasn't much other choice.   

Can't say I would be a fan of that system, even though it seemed to make entry into the stadium faster than here in the US. 

That's very sketchy and I wouldn't do that.  They will allow for resale, but on Ticket Exchange of course where the Devils can get a cut of the resale.  Just think, they can now potentially sell all the seats twice for the same game and get $ for both sales.  I really, really, REALLY hope this doesn't happen (though it seems like it will happen eventually).

I'm sorry, this is hysterical/interesting to me. if you're a die-hard, why did you switch allegiences from Boston to NJ?

And you must, must, musssst tell us what you mean when you said Lou 'considered you' for an Olympic coaching job. Please.

I am sorry, when you grow up and are out on your own, without your parent's money you will understand. It's called location. I saw you bashed Elias, what a shame. Just another throw away for you !!!!!

I just don't get why anyone would do this plan when you can just do the stubhub plan for way less money. Hell if I didn't like my seats so much I would have a stubhub plan every year.

I'm also a season ticket holder that couldn't care less about all the perks and benefits that my season tickets provide.

I don't blame the team or fans for being interested in those things and the upgrading the food but they are things that I just don't care about. I've eaten inside the arena 3 times since it's opened.

I'm only there for the hockey. I like being inside the arena for as little time as possible. I get to my seat when the anthem is just finishing and I'm out the door soon as the 3 stars interview is over if we win.

I do like to attend other events during the season, usually a concert or wrestling event and that's my main gripe about the Devils restrictions with selling tickets. Sometimes I just want to do something else that night and I should be allowed to sell my tickets wherever and however I see fit. I shouldn't be expected to eat the tickets or attend every single game during the season if I choose to do something else that night.

Hell with the weather we have had this season this team isn't worth driving in the snow to go see. I've bitched about this issue enough with reselling tickets but it's my only major gripe I have with the team. I just want what I paid for back some nights. It really shouldn't be this major issue that they make it out to be.

That being said I will continue to have season tickets, win or lose for the rest of my life unless the Devils decide to get too ridiculous with the restrictions on reselling.

Edited by Satans Hockey

That's very sketchy and I wouldn't do that.  They will allow for resale, but on Ticket Exchange of course where the Devils can get a cut of the resale.  Just think, they can now potentially sell all the seats twice for the same game and get $ for both sales.  I really, really, REALLY hope this doesn't happen (though it seems like it will happen eventually).

The only thing I am worried about is if they decide to make membership cards to replace ticket stubs for these.  You can kiss getting cheap tickets on SH goodbye then.

They have cards for NY Red Bulls season tickets, which I just got. But it comes with the same exact functionality that we have now as Devils fans, for example. I can still sell on TicketExchange or print to PDF (no restriction on when you can start doing that) and sell on StubHub, etc...

The caveat being, I think some of those functions can be regulated by the team. Like, I think they could set a 24 hour or 1 week limit window where you can print to PDF if they wanted to, for example (just a guess). But yeah, Red Bulls don't have any of that. I could put all my season's tickets on StubHub right now if I wanted to, despite only having a physical season ticketholder card.

Edited by DJ Eco

They have cards for NY Red Bulls season tickets, which I just got. But it comes with the same exact functionality that we have now as Devils fans, for example. I can still sell on TicketExchange or print to PDF (no restriction on when you can start doing that) and sell on StubHub, etc...

The caveat being, I think some of those functions can be regulated by the team. Like, I think they could set a 24 hour or 1 week window where you can print to PDF, for example. But yeah, Red Bulls don't have any of that. I could put all my season's tickets on StubHub right now, despite having a season ticketholder card.

The red bulls have been doing this for awhile now, I'm a season ticket holder as well. The Devils already restrict when you can print the tickets for the games. It's like 48 hours before the game or some nonsense like that. The NY Jets also use the cards and don't restrict the tickets. Basically every team is going to use these cards eventually.

I stopped my season tickets in 2001 and it broke my heart.  I haven't been to the Rock and probably never will.  I am so glad I don't have money to go to games.  I understand what they are trying to accomplish but the pricing logic just befuddles me.

• 2 weeks later...

STH's, you will probably take special interest in this one, because it sounds similar to what the Devils have done with regard to secondary market resale restrictions: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12584885

The Devils policy is a little different.  I believe that they are saying, if you sell more than 5 games across any resale platform, you MAY be labeled a broker and have your ST's revoked. 

The Warriors aren't even trying to hide the hypocracy of TM Ticketexchange and are saying that you can sell as many tickets as you want on Ticketexchange, but can't use Stubhub or any other resale source (because the Warriors only get a cut of the resale money on Ticketexchange).  To me, that's actually worse than what the Devils are doing.  Hopefully Stubhub takes this case to the mat and wins in court. 

I went to the Membership program presentation before yesterday's game.  It was quick and was only about 20 minutes and really no pressure at all.  I have to admit this is the first time I am actually somewhat interested in getting season tickets or at least try out this membership program, so it had some effect.

They also gave me 2 free tickets to the game last night as reward for just listening to them.  Got club seats 3 rows behind the Devils bench.  Can't complain about that!

STH's, you will probably take special interest in this one, because it sounds similar to what the Devils have done with regard to secondary market resale restrictions: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12584885

Seems pretty similar to the Devils' policy, although a bit more strict. Devils' policy has more wiggle room. I can't see StubHub's case winning in court. At the end of the day, StubHub is an organized scalping marketplace. Sure it's legal, but will it win out against a giant like Ticketmaster in court? I can't imagine.

I went to the Membership program presentation before yesterday's game.  It was quick and was only about 20 minutes and really no pressure at all.  I have to admit this is the first time I am actually somewhat interested in getting season tickets or at least try out this membership program, so it had some effect.

They also gave me 2 free tickets to the game last night as reward for just listening to them.  Got club seats 3 rows behind the Devils bench.  Can't complain about that!

How did you find out about this?  I was a season ticket holder for the past 7 or 8 years and just stopped this season.  I was never contacted by the Devils about this.  You would think they would want to reach out to former season ticket holders to get us back.

How did you find out about this? I was a season ticket holder for the past 7 or 8 years and just stopped this season. I was never contacted by the Devils about this. You would think they would want to reach out to former season ticket holders to get us back.

They sent out a blast email to pretty much everyone who has given them their email for anything in the past. I responded by filling out the form and they called me about 2 weeks later. They sent the blast email about a month ago and I know many people who got it.

Wat do I want as a fan?  I want to be able to say "Hey guys, lets go to a game tonight" and to be able to buy tickets at a reasonable price - have cheap parking and not some gimmick that tries to woo me like a real business.

It's hockey and I have my farm to table excursions I can plan -- the cost of everything is prohibitive and your distracting from either the hockey or the experience they are selling which is NOT hockey.

Honestly I miss the CAA days when I could drive up to a game on a Weds night and it was no big deal.  I wish sports went back to being sports not big businesses to be run... <_<