Hockey should be 4 on 4 the whole game

roomtemp

Sure. Just change the way the sport has been played for 200 years. Sounds reasonable. While we're at it, let's make football 7-on-7. Too cluttered with 11-on-11.[emoji57]

Safe to say there is nothing that can be argued to even remotely change my mind on this, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Sure. Just change the way the sport has been played for 200 years. Sounds reasonable. While we're at it, let's make football 7-on-7. Too cluttered with 11-on-11.[emoji57]

Safe to say there is nothing that can be argued to even remotely change my mind on this, so we'll just agree to disagree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_%28ice_hockey%29

Yeah two hundred years of 5 on 5. Stuff changes. We can change the game for the better

I actually play roller hockey and have my entire life for various reasons, and I've always hated that it was 4 on 4 instead of 5 on 5.  It's more wide open, and more goals, sure, but that's not always more fun or exciting, and as a player I find it less fun to play too -- having a 'true center' and a 5th man opens up so many more possibilities and also adds strategy and complexity to the game.  It's too wide open and run-n-gun with 4 on 4.

I was just pointing out your hyperbole.

I actually thought that link was pretty interesting, so I appreciate you posting it. Nonetheless, my point was that hockey has been played 5-on-5 for pretty much as long as anyone who's alive today can remember. No need to reinvent the wheel. Like I said, we can agree to disagree.

I'd be in favour of testing it out in a lot of lower levels before the NHL. Just because something has been one way forever doesn't mean we should look past a way to heavily improve the game. There have been much more revolutionary changes than subtracting the amount of players in action at once.

For the most part, 5-on-5 hockey can be extremely tough to watch. It's not even about goalies being too good or equipment being too big, it's just hard for some of the best players skill levels to show through on a shift by shift basis.

The game would become too simple, and therefore boring. It would look like an all star game...little hitting and physical play, the art of cycling would be no more. Intricate passing plays would go away, dirty scrappy goals would diminish in number. It would just be a game of ice skating.

One could argue that it wouldn't really help scoring at all because goalies are so good today that you need screens and tips, and quickly changing points of attack to beat them.

The game would become too simple, and therefore boring. It would look like an all star game...little hitting and physical play, the art of cycling would be no more. Intricate passing plays would go away, dirty scrappy goals would diminish in number. It would just be a game of ice skating.

One could argue that it wouldn't really help scoring at all because goalies are so good today that you need screens and tips, and quickly changing points of attack to beat them.

Wait, did you just argue that intricate passing plays would go away?  If anything there would be more of them.  That's the whole idea.  The extra player out there makes it more difficult for teams to enter the offensive zone with the puck, and the shot rates and goal rates on dump ins are horrendous.  

Goal rates don't look terribly different at 4 on 4 - it seems to amount to something like .5 goals per 60 minutes of 4 on 4 per team, and we have to remember that more skilled players are more likely to play 4 on 4 as it is now than if it were 60 minutes - but goal rates on 4 on 3 power plays are way higher.   I'd be curious to see a game of hockey that was 4 on 4 all the time - would it lose something without all the board play?  Years ago I definitely would've said yes, now I'm not so sure.

As for whoever said increase the rink size - that doesn't work.

Edited by Triumph

Wait, did you just argue that intricate passing plays would go away?  If anything there would be more of them.  That's the whole idea.  The extra player out there makes it more difficult for teams to enter the offensive zone with the puck, and the shot rates and goal rates on dump ins are horrendous.  

Goal rates don't look terribly different at 4 on 4 - it seems to amount to something like .5 goals per 60 minutes of 4 on 4 per team, and we have to remember that more skilled players are more likely to play 4 on 4 as it is now than if it were 60 minutes - but goal rates on 4 on 3 power plays are way higher.   I'd be curious to see a game of hockey that was 4 on 4 all the time - would it lose something without all the board play?  Years ago I definitely would've said yes, now I'm not so sure.

As for whoever said increase the rink size - that doesn't work.

Right but how many intricate passing plays can you really do with 2 forwards. Theres too much room to cover for a variety of passes: such as one-touch passing, long stretch passes, passes off the boards to frequently occur. Im not saying that 5 on 5 has lots of that because it is crowded out there, but i'd imagine more variety 5on5 than 4on4.

I'd like to see Power Plays be 4 on 3.

Edited by devlman

I actually play roller hockey and have my entire life for various reasons, and I've always hated that it was 4 on 4 instead of 5 on 5. It's more wide open, and more goals, sure, but that's not always more fun or exciting, and as a player I find it less fun to play too -- having a 'true center' and a 5th man opens up so many more possibilities and also adds strategy and complexity to the game. It's too wide open and run-n-gun with 4 on 4.

where I play hockey on li the under 18 divisions play 4vs 4. Once 18 and up its normal hockey,5 vs 5. They do sometimes have one 4 vs 4 adult league but it's not popular,esp among goalies like myself.

where I play hockey on li the under 18 divisions play 4vs 4. Once 18 and up its normal hockey,5 vs 5. They do sometimes have one 4 vs 4 adult league but it's not popular,esp among goalies like myself.

Where do you play on LI?  I used to play at Bellmore-Merrick as a young lad  :P

When I moved to FL though and played in rec leagues and eventually even when I moved to High School leagues everything was 4 on 4.  The HS league was officially sanctioned and used the National Inline Roller Hockey rules/rulebook too which I believe states 4 on 4 (plus a goalie) for regulation play.

We could employ my baseball strategy...

Each team fields 4 infielders and 3 outfielders at the same time. The team that is not batting's job stays the same. The non-batting team gets to defend against the defense. No direct contact allowed, only if you are both reaching/diving for the ball. 

You want higher scoring action? Invent the ANTI-GOALIE, whose job it is to stand next to or in front of the goalie to distract him and try to help his team score. 

In all fairness, Sean Avery already partially invented that position but still...

Where do you play on LI?  I used to play at Bellmore-Merrick as a young lad  :P

When I moved to FL though and played in rec leagues and eventually even when I moved to High School leagues everything was 4 on 4.  The HS league was officially sanctioned and used the National Inline Roller Hockey rules/rulebook too which I believe states 4 on 4 (plus a goalie) for regulation play.

I play at Skate Safe America (old bethpage), and sometimes Sport Time which is also 5 vs 5.  Some of the smaller rinks are 4 vs 4 (but most of them are in suffolk)

While I am not saying you are wrong.. I've come to expect you to back up your claims with something factual.. :D  Isn't there more goals in european hockey leagues?

Traditionally there are not more goals in the Swedish and Russian leagues, though this year with all the KHL expansion I think there are more goals there this year.  Even so, it's comparing two groups of players to one another that have wildly varying levels of talent.  I don't think wider ice makes for better hockey.