Realistic trade targets in the offseason

mort4345

If you make a trade for Kessel, Toronto better be retaining at least 25% of his salary or it's a no deal.

The Devils are in a good enough position capwise that they don't need Toronto to retain any of his salary.  If the Devils are actually interested in trading for him, I imagine this will be part of the justification for offering less than other teams might in prospects/picks. 

The Devils are in a good enough position capwise that they don't need Toronto to retain any of his salary.  If the Devils are actually interested in trading for him, I imagine this will be part of the justification for offering less than other teams might in prospects/picks. 

Enough of washed up players past their prime.  No to FROLIK, No to St. Louis, No to THORNTON.

If you make a trade for Kessel, Toronto better be retaining at least 25% of his salary or it's a no deal.

Tons of people apparently think Kessel is overpaid. I really don't see it that way. He is an elite goal scorer with five 30+ goal seasons (would've been 6 if not for the lockout). With the new CBA preventing front-loaded contracts, that production is absolutely worth IMHO his $8 mill cap hit. He's 27 and has four seasons 7 seasons left on his contract - analytics show he should remain an elite goal scorer for at least two of these seasons.

Edited by hoekster316

At this point I'm feeling oddly confident that Kessel is a Devil come draft day.

It'll probably involve our first, and probably Gelinas, among other pieces.

And I'll hate it.

PLEASE NO.

Enough of the band-aid approach and barely making the playoffs or missing them entirely. I'd gladly accept 2-5 years of sucking and high draft picks if it got us to the LA Kings' level of firepower.

Tons of people apparently think Kessel is overpaid. I really don't see it that way. He is an elite goal scorer with five 30+ goal seasons (would've been 6 if not for the lockout). With the new CBA preventing front-loaded contracts, that production is absolutely worth IMHO his $8 mill cap hit. He's 27 and has four seasons left on his contract - analytics show he should remain an elite goal scorer for at least two of these seasons.

He'll be 28 when next season starts and will have six more years on his deal. 

Tons of people apparently think Kessel is overpaid. I really don't see it that way. He is an elite goal scorer with five 30+ goal seasons (would've been 6 if not for the lockout). With the new CBA preventing front-loaded contracts, that production is absolutely worth IMHO his $8 mill cap hit. He's 27 and has four seasons left on his contract - analytics show he should remain an elite goal scorer for at least two of these seasons.

Here's a couple of points in Kessel's favor:

If he matched his 12.3% shooting rate of the last three seasons, he'd have 33 goals right now.  If he matched his career rate of 10.8%, he'd have 29 goals.  His 8.9 shooting% this season is his lowest since '07-'08 (for whatever that's worth).   

$8 million per season (cap hit) is still a LOT of coin though.  He's also signed for SEVEN more years, not four:

Cap Hit: $8 million.

2015-16: $10 million.

2016-17: $9 million.

2017-18: $9 million.

2018-19: $7 million.

2019-20: $7 million.

2020-21: $6 million.

2021-22: $6 million.

2022-23: UFA

It's risky, especially since he's not exactly renowned for work ethic, attitude, and being able to do more than score. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's risky, especially since he's not exactly renowned for work ethic, attitude, and being able to do more than score. 

At this point, I would take the 25-30 goals per season (maybe more on our offense, where he'd be the only guy scoring) and worry about what kind of a d!ck he is later. 

• Like 1

Here's a couple of points in Kessel's favor:

If he matched his 12.3% shooting rate of the last three seasons, he'd have 33 goals right now.  If he matched his career rate of 10.8%, he'd have 29 goals.  His 8.9 shooting% this season is his lowest since '07-'08 (for whatever that's worth).   

$8 million per season (cap hit) is still a LOT of coin though.  He's also signed for SEVEN more years, not four:

Cap Hit: $8 million.

2015-16: $10 million.

2016-17: $9 million.

2017-18: $9 million.

2018-19: $7 million.

2019-20: $7 million.

2020-21: $6 million.

2021-22: $6 million.

2022-23: UFA

Ah crap, you're right. I'm all kinds of messed up without CapGeek. :(

In that case, yes, Toronto would need to take on some of his salary.

What center would the Devils put him with?  Who knows.  Do the Devils have a center in the organization that should play with Kessel?  Not really.  Do they have any young players who could become that center?   No.  Do they have any draft picks who could?  Well, if they trade this year's, no, they don't.  Is there anyone likely to be available on the free agent market who can?  No.  And on and on we go.

At this point, I would take the 25-30 goals per season (maybe more on our offense, where he'd be the only guy scoring) and worry about what kind of a d!ck he is later. 

Easy to say that, but seven years is a long time.  As we've seen, even seemingly unmovable contracts managed to get moved, but are the Devils really the kind of team that can afford to make a potentially expensive mistake right now?  Especially if they start giving up high draft picks AND possibly players?

What center would the Devils put him with?  Who knows.  Do the Devils have a center in the organization that should play with Kessel?  Not really.  Do they have any young players who could become that center?   No.  Do they have any draft picks who could?  Well, if they trade this year's, no, they don't.  Is there anyone likely to be available on the free agent market who can?  No.  And on and on we go.

I don't think they would trade this year's pick for Kessel,  and I think Toronto could be convinced not to demand it.  Toronto also won't have much of a choice if he's not traded before the draft.

Otherwise the issues you raise are legit, which is why I would only be interested in him only if Toronto is truly desperate to unload him. 

I understand the need for youth and the negatives attached to Kessel and I probably wouldn't be jumping for joy if we traded for him, and I also understand that we aren't one player away from a cup...but the odds that the #6 pick in this draft ever approaches kessel's production are very, very low.

• Like 1

I understand the need for youth and the negatives attached to Kessel and I probably wouldn't be jumping for joy if we traded for him, and I also understand that we aren't one player away from a cup...but the odds that the #6 pick in this draft ever approaches kessel's production are very, very low.

If Kessell were four years younger, this reasoning would make sense. But a forward that is drafted number 6 overall is someone you can reasonably predict to be a 20-25 goal scorer and would be doing so for a relatively extended period of time, and at a time when there are hopefully other younger players in the mix. (I'm talking only about goals for simplicity sake). The odds tell you that Kessel will be more like 20 goal scorer in not too long.

That's why I say that I'd only make a low ball offer. As George Costanza said, all they have to do is say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to say that, but seven years is a long time. As we've seen, even seemingly unmovable contracts managed to get moved, but are the Devils really the kind of team that can afford to make a potentially expensive mistake right now? Especially if they start giving up high draft picks AND possibly players?

We already made mistakes in long term commitments to Kovalchuk and Clowe, maybe 3rd Time is the charm?

Edited by mfitz804

Clowe was a horrible signing! what was the upside? when he skated he was a JAG..the upside was in no way worth the risk. now we pay him 5 mil of three years. terrible 

Kovy bailed us out big time, we'd be cursing that contract right about now...and every year it would become worse. 

I'd love to get kessil but not our firsts (this and nexts). I would consider the first for a RNH type young center, I 'd throw in larsson and maybe JJ

Clowe was a horrible signing! what was the upside? when he skated he was a JAG..the upside was in no way worth the risk. now we pay him 5 mil of three years. terrible

Kovy bailed us out big time, we'd be cursing that contract right about now...and every year it would become worse.

I'd love to get kessil but not our firsts (this and nexts). I would consider the first for a RNH type young center, I 'd throw in larsson and maybe JJ

Clowe isn't taking up cap space so who cares.

So putting a bag over your head and crossing the street would be a bad idea ONLY if you get hit by a car?

Well said. We tried to lock two guys up and failed miserably, that was my only point.

And Kovy's contract would have been a mistake if he stayed also. He has sucked since he left, and how many more years would we be committed to? Him leaving was a blessing in terms of cap room, and that was just a stroke of luck. Still an awful deal.

show me where its written that clowe will never play another game and I'll agree with you to a point. 4.8 mil aint chump change,

Sadly hes one of our better forwards when hes healthy, we have a ton of space when hes on the cap, he always gets hurt so we LTIR, its really no big deal he isn't hurting the team.

show me where its written that clowe will never play another game and I'll agree with you to a point.  4.8 mil aint chump change,

The hit that put Clowe out for the year was not a serious one.  I could see him attempting one more comeback but I don't think it will be successful.  We haven't even gotten word of him skating, or working out off the ice - he's traveled with the team so he's healthy enough to do that, but I'm not sure he wants to risk one more concussion.  

Sadly hes one of our better forwards when hes healthy, we have a ton of space when hes on the cap, he always gets hurt so we LTIR, its really no big deal he isn't hurting the team.

This doesn't seem true - he was real bad in his 13 healthy games this year.  LTIR does still hurt the team - you don't bank cap space when a player is on it - and it messes with the summer cap as well.