2016 Devils 1st Round Pick (#12) Michael McLeod

Zubie#8

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So you know when you go to a bar and see a dime? Like a real soslid ten and your friendskeep saying "duuuuude yiu totally have a shot at Keller" and ur like "lol no I don't" but in the back of ur head you're already sleeping w her. But then someone else snags her before you do you go home with a really cute girl but still are thinking about that slam piece Keller you could have been banging for the next two decades?

thats how I feel.

i may have lost my train of thoughtf

Except for the fact that you have to give the person that snags her 5000 dollars plus the deed to your houe just so you can take a shot at her.

36 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So you know when you go to a bar and see a dime? Like a real soslid ten and your friendskeep saying "duuuuude yiu totally have a shot at Keller" and ur like "lol no I don't" but in the back of ur head you're already sleeping w her. But then someone else snags her before you do you go home with a really cute girl but still are thinking about that slam piece Keller you could have been banging for the next two decades?

thats how I feel.

Let's hope the fiancé doesn't peruse the boards lol

Floor is a good 3C, ceiling an elite 2C or low-end 1C. I specifically had this guy on my Do Not Draft List, but am coming around after reading up on him. It really boils down that NJ liked him over Logan Brown, which seems to be a minority opinion.  He is a zone entry and zone exit freak so he should really help in transition. The most common criticism is that he needs to work on his shot. I think that's the easiest thing to work on IMO

McLeod was a 57% possession player in the six games I tracked. Had 36(!) controlled entries in those games. He's a play driver.

Edited by SMantzas

9 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

thats how I feel.

Sterio, is that you!? haha

Seriously, tho. I knew Keller was becoming a pipe dream, especially the last week where there was chatter of him going top 5.

24 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Sterio, is that you!? haha

Seriously, tho. I knew Keller was becoming a pipe dream, especially the last week where there was chatter of him going top 5.

no but someone has been taking notes i see haha

I'm trying to be excited with the new guy but his lack of hockey IQ and lack of hands/finish is worrying me, just hoping we don't just end up with another Mason Raymond that sure he's fast, scoring a bit but that's it.

I said this yesterday but again.. i'd rather have a very good scorer that will finish more often than not when he's in good position. Than have a bunch of "safe guys" who plays well all game but we lose by a goal cause we can't finish. We've seen this too much in the last few years. You don't get points for  just playing well, if you don't score there's nothing to show

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

no but someone has been taking notes i see haha

I'm trying to be excited with the new guy but his lack of hockey IQ and lack of hands/finish is worrying me, just hoping we don't just end up with another Mason Raymond that sure he's fast, scoring a bit but that's it.

I said this yesterday but again.. i'd rather have a very good scorer that will finish more often than not when he's in good position. Than have a bunch of "safe guys" who plays well all game but we lose by a goal cause we can't finish. We've seen this too much in the last few years. You don't get points for  just playing well, if you don't score there's nothing to show

That's a broad over simplification. Everyone in the world would prefer a "finisher". But that's far from the whole story. Would you rather have a Zajac or Tedenby? Looking at a highlight film Tedenby would seem to be a much better finisher. If McLeod develops into a Zajac, count me in as thrilled. A rock solid contributor for a decade. 

There seems to be a misconception around here lately that is "offense or bust". That's not a fundamentally sound way to build a hockey team. You can't go into a draft and pick "best scorer available". Scoring doesn't always translate playing against grown men. Speed is a concrete quality that you can't take away. Annnnnnnnnd... Speed kills.

The speed and his ability to be a puck mover is key.  Zacha can be the finisher, but he needs someone to get him the puck and set him up in good scoring areas.  Hopefully this kid can do that.

Clearly, Shero had him ranked over Brown.  It's not easy to pass over a 6'6' center with speed, so I hope they know what they are doing here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

It's not easy to pass over a 6'6' center with speed, so I hope they know what they are doing here.

Bingo, that and his possession numbers (specifically zone exits and entries) are the key.  Hockey IQ can be learned to an extent by playing with the right players and within a system conducive to a skill set - which the Devils deploy and McLeod has.

The league has become more and more about speed, which he has in spades, plus the size to back it up.

Keller and Jost were the big prizes at #11, but they didn't get there.  That's disappointing, but all things considered, squeezing another third and nabbing McLeod is certainly not a bad haul for the first round.

And there are still trade targets out there to be had.  If the Devils could work some magic to snag DeBrincat in the second round I'd be thrilled with those first two picks (hey, at least we're reasonably assured they won't take another goalie).

eh, this pick still feels like its a Conte type pick just trying to fill out our middle six with safe two way players.  I haven't seen one source that thinks McLeod's peek potential is anything more than a 2C given his hands and shot.   While that's not necessarily a bad thing at #11, I don't think it fits well with our particular situation.  I leave the first round feeling like Zacha is still our only prospect with a legitimate shot of being a good first liner.   

Edited by Lateralous

9 minutes ago, Hellacious_D said:

Bingo, that and his possession numbers (specifically zone exits and entries) are the key.  Hockey IQ can be learned to an extent by playing with the right players and within a system conducive to a skill set - which the Devils deploy and McLeod has.

The league has become more and more about speed, which he has in spades, plus the size to back it up.

Keller and Jost were the big prizes at #11, but they didn't get there.  That's disappointing, but all things considered, squeezing another third and nabbing McLeod is certainly not a bad haul for the first round.

And there are still trade targets out there to be had.  If the Devils could work some magic to snag DeBrincat in the second round I'd be thrilled with those first two picks (hey, at least we're reasonably assured they won't take another goalie).

Yeah this is where I'm at with this pick.  I know the Devils don't need finishers - not that they have the best finishers in the world, but they have lots of guys who score goals and can shoot the puck.  They don't have players to get those guys into positions to score, and that's where hopefully McLeod comes in.

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

eh, this pick still feels like its Conte just trying to fill out our middle six with safe two way players.  I haven't seen one source that thinks McLeod's peek potential is anything more than a 2C given his hands and shot.   While that's not necessarily a bad thing at #11, I don't think it fits well with our particular situation.  I leave the first round feeling like Zacha is still our only prospect with a legitimate shot of being a good first liner.   

Conte's gone.  But I think you know that.  There weren't any forwards with first line upside left.  Well, besides DeBrincat, who is still available, but NJ would've had to keep trading down to nab him.

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Conte's gone.  But I think you know that.  There weren't any forwards with first line upside left.  Well, besides DeBrincat, who is still available, but NJ would've had to keep trading down to nab him.

Yes, that was poorly worded.  I meant Conte type pick.  

1 hour ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

That's a broad over simplification. Everyone in the world would prefer a "finisher". But that's far from the whole story. Would you rather have a Zajac or Tedenby? Looking at a highlight film Tedenby would seem to be a much better finisher. If McLeod develops into a Zajac, count me in as thrilled. A rock solid contributor for a decade. 

There seems to be a misconception around here lately that is "offense or bust". That's not a fundamentally sound way to build a hockey team. You can't go into a draft and pick "best scorer available". Scoring doesn't always translate playing against grown men. Speed is a concrete quality that you can't take away. Annnnnnnnnd... Speed kills.

how is it a broad over simplification. We have tons of guys who plays well all around game but we can't finish. We saw it. it's a thing. Last in the league in scoring eventhough we always "play well". Plus safe guys like this can be signed or acquired almost every year at a decent price for that role. Why waste picks on guys like that? We look at our roster and from top to bottom we have bottom 6 safe kind of guys that are decent all around. I'd really rather take a gutsy pick for a scorer that may bust than fill our pool with average guy with no high ceiling at all

I really wish im wrong in the end. 

As Alanis would say. It's like 10 thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

how is it a broad over simplification. We have tons of guys who plays well all around game but we can't finish. We saw it. it's a thing. Last in the league in scoring eventhough we always "play well". Plus safe guys like this can be signed or acquired almost every year at a decent price for that role. Why waste picks on guys like that? We look at our roster and from top to bottom we have bottom 6 safe kind of guys that are decent all around. I'd really rather take a gutsy pick for a scorer that may bust than fill our pool with average guy with no high ceiling at all

I really wish im wrong in the end. 

As Alanis would say. It's like 10 thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

What are you talking about?  It's like you didn't even watch the team last year.  The Devils have almost no one who matches this description 'bottom 6 safe kind of guys that are decent all around' besides Travis Zajac.  Josefson I suppose matches it but he doesn't belong in an NHL top 9.  Regardless, the Devils have scorers up and down the roster - Cammalleri, Palmieri, Henrique, Smith-Pelly, Boucher - these players have good shots and score when they get into position.  They have finish.  The problem is that the puck doesn't get to them enough.  They can't get enough shots on goal because the transition game isn't there and the Devils don't have any dynamic forwards who consistently gain the zone with the puck and make space for other players.  The Devils ranked 30th in shots on goal (and it wasn't close) because of this.  It's probably because of their finishing talent that they weren't way in last in scoring.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

What are you talking about?  It's like you didn't even watch the team last year.  The Devils have almost no one who matches this description 'bottom 6 safe kind of guys that are decent all around' besides Travis Zajac.  Josefson I suppose matches it but he doesn't belong in an NHL top 9.  Regardless, the Devils have scorers up and down the roster - Cammalleri, Palmieri, Henrique, Smith-Pelly, Boucher - these players have good shots and score when they get into position.  They have finish.  The problem is that the puck doesn't get to them enough.  They can't get enough shots on goal because the transition game isn't there and the Devils don't have any dynamic forwards who consistently gain the zone with the puck and make space for other players.  The Devils ranked 30th in shots on goal (and it wasn't close) because of this.  It's probably because of their finishing talent that they weren't way in last in scoring.

how many of those guys would be first line on a good team? Real top line talent can create opportunities for themselves, we got career years out of Palmieri and Henrique which is beyond what we could have expected really and still didnt have enough scoring. With "better transition and all" you think they'd hit 50 goals each? even that would put average in scoring through the league.

And Cam, how long you think we'll be able to count on that guy? he's always injured. He won't be around by the time were competitive. 

And i still stand by my point that you can easily get that kind of safe 2 way talent through free agency or trade for a very fair price and most of the time it's barely a gamble cause the guy is proven and the team just need to make room. The draft is where you try to get special talent in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

how many of those guys would be first line on a good team? Real top line talent can create opportunities for themselves, we got career years out of Palmieri and Henrique which is beyond what we could have expected really and still didnt have enough scoring. With "better transition and all" you think they'd hit 50 goals each? even that would put average in scoring through the league.

And Cam, how long you think we'll be able to count on that guy? he's always injured. He won't be around by the time were competitive. 

And i still stand by my point that you can easily get that kind of safe 2 way talent through free agency or trade for a very fair price and most of the time it's barely a gamble cause the guy is proven and the team just need to make room. The draft is where you try to get special talent in my opinion.

Can the Devils change the fact that they don't have much top line talent?  No.  But they don't need more scorers right now.  They need distributors.  

You're asserting that McLeod is a safe pick without much evidence.  He played for a young team and put up good numbers - the only thing missing, according to scouts, was his shot.  Who drafted after him looked like a top line player?  I don't see anyone who looks considerably better.   Plus we know from a guy watching the OHL that McLeod was dominant in the neutral zone - he was great at exiting the defensive zone and entering the offensive zone.  These skills lead to offense when done well.

I don't agree we have enough finishers, when camilari is hurt 40% of the year , and with rico and palms coming off near career years. we have inconsistency there. but I also don't think the pick was safe, not by a long shot, in fact its a gamble on upside. not exactly what I want with the top pick, but our guys went early

btw I don't think his wrist shot is all that bad

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

Can the Devils change the fact that they don't have much top line talent?  No.  But they don't need more scorers right now.  They need distributors.  

You're asserting that McLeod is a safe pick without much evidence.  He played for a young team and put up good numbers - the only thing missing, according to scouts, was his shot.  Who drafted after him looked like a top line player?  I don't see anyone who looks considerably better.   Plus we know from a guy watching the OHL that McLeod was dominant in the neutral zone - he was great at exiting the defensive zone and entering the offensive zone.  These skills lead to offense when done well.

Listen if you don't agree that the Devil historically pick safe 2 way players with an average to below average scoring projection. I don't know what to tell you. Am i saying there's always a better pick to make at that moment or not? no. But quite a few times we passed on a scorer to take one of safe 2 way guys.