The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree but now we're talking simply aesthetics. It would be better, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge because they didn't do it. 

Those away jerseys, in my opinion, look fantastic. There's something very old time hockey sweater about the whole design and I like that aspect of it. 

Erm of course we are talking asthetics, stripes aren't going to affect performance......or are they. 

No one is going to jump off a bridge either. But looking at this from a design point of view it makes literally no sense. It's stupid. 

I think you will find a lot of people would have been open to a redesign if it was actually good. 

4 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Erm of course we are talking asthetics, stripes aren't going to affect performance......or are they. 

No one is going to jump off a bridge either. But looking at this from a design point of view it makes literally no sense. It's stupid. 

I think you will find a lot of people would have been open to a redesign if it was actually good. 

If we make the playoffs this year, then obviously all those extra stripes were weighing us down. 

And I am not so sure, I couple of y'all sounded ready to take the plunge.

And regarding a re-design, what changes, somewhere between the old jersey and the new, would have been acceptable? I mean, they did not change much and they got destroyed. What redesign would have been "actually good"? 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If we make the playoffs this year, then obviously all those extra stripes were weighing us down. 

And regarding a re-design, what changes, somewhere between the old jersey and the new, would have been acceptable? I mean, they did not change much and they got destroyed. What redesign would have been "actually good"? 

Fair question.

I think the kinda-sorta tweak changes they made to aspects of the previous design hurt, in that it made it way too easy to invite (negative) comparisons directly between the corresponding elements from new to old, and it's really hard to argue that the truncated shoulders and fatter stripes (not the mention the eliminated stripes) are any kind of improvement.  It's like they landed somewhere between trying to make what they viewed as big changes, yet also wanted to play it safe.  It really is a testament to the "old" red and blacks, in that the old design was simply really that damned good, and easily could've survived with no changes at all. 

Assuming that the think-team had ultimately decided to keep the logo no matter what, I think they should have just done something completely different otherwise, from the outgoing jerseys...if you're going to take a risk, go all the way with it I guess...maybe no shoulder yoke at all, or a yoke more like the Xmas tree Devils jerseys (sans green), which had borders...hell, if you wanted to pay tribute to earlier franchise years, you could've worked some elements of the Xmas tree jerseys into the new desgin instead, instead of "Who gives a fvck?" crap from the Scouts and Rockies jerseys...fans here actually give a damn about the Xmas classics...I think the old Xmas white template in red and black (complete with the same stripe locations) would've looked pretty sharp.  Some of the photochops of the modern red and greens that were done up on here looked pretty cool as red and blacks, especially with some tweaks (like that "piece of white tape" sleeve stripe being excised).  I could've lived with a solid hybrid of the Xmas trees and red and blacks...I think that's the angle that really should've been explored.

In this vein, here's what I would've done (and I won't pretend that everyone will be on board with this, or it would have that elusive universal appeal):

Whites:  Same stripe and yoke pattern as the Xmas whites, replace green with black.

Reds:  Same stripes as the outgoing reds, but with the white-bordered yoke from the Xmas reds (with black instead of green)

Pays tribute to the pre-red and black Devils (if paying tribute was supposed to be a goal of the design, which apparently it was) without going too crazy, or killing too much of what people really liked.  

There probably aren't that one or two designs that was going to appeal to a ton of Devils fans though (even to those who were open to the idea, which I was), which makes you wonder why they just didn't leave it alone. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It was change for the sake of change and those are never good ideas. 

Islanders, Buffalo, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, etc all changed for the sake of change and all went back or close to back. Granted they made much broader changes but the idea is the same. One day we will have our old jersey back and these will be a memory. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I would have to agree with this. No change was needed. They could have scratched that itch by making a 3rd jersey, they could have done whatever they wanted with it, new logo, black jersey, etc., and people may have been upset, but they'd still have their original jerseys to fall back on.

If you are going to experiment, do it with a 3rd. If somehow you knock it out of the box and make a phenomenal jersey that everyone loves, it would be way easier to say "we're gonna switch to that one" rather than just revamp a design that for a majority of our fans, the team has worn the entire time they have been following the team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Islanders, Buffalo, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, etc all changed for the sake of change and all went back or close to back. Granted they made much broader changes but the idea is the same. One day we will have our old jersey back and these will be a memory. 

I think we'll have closer to old fairly quickly, but not quite the same. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Imagine the uproar when they put stripes back at the bottom, but its the new, "too wide" stripes. 

I don't think the "too wides" will survive a jersey revision.  A lot of people really seem to dislike those a lot (particularly the big whites). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think the "too wides" will survive a jersey revision.  A lot of people really seem to dislike those a lot (particularly the big whites). 

I would hope not. I just fear someone not really listening saying "they want the stripes back, give them stripes" without concern for what KIND of stripes.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I would hope not. I just fear someone not really listening saying "they want the stripes back, give them stripes" without concern for what KIND of stripes.

I could turn out to be 100% wrong, but I get the feeling this franchise is going to fix this and do it right.  I think they'll put a lot of time in to researching what the fans really want, in a "Let's work together" kind of way.  I do think they're very surprised by the general reaction so far. 

Hopefully someone there realizes that this is golden opportunity...like I've said, in a world where so many companies stubbornly refuse to admit that they fvcked up after a colossal error in judgment and just insist on plowing ahead, on those occasions where they actually DO say "We're sorry" and then take the even tougher step of correcting their mistake, it really blows people away, in the best way possible.  For some reason, I think the Devils are going to realize this sooner than we all think...and take appropriate action.  We'll just have to try to be patient until they do.     

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could turn out to be 100% wrong, but I get the feeling this franchise is going to fix this and do it right.  I think they'll put a lot of time in to researching what the fans really want, in a "Let's work together" kind of way.  I do think they're very surprised by the general reaction so far. 

Hopefully someone there realizes that this is golden opportunity...like I've said, in a world where so many companies stubbornly refuse to admit that they fvcked up after a colossal error in judgment and just insist on plowing ahead, on those occasions where they actually DO say "We're sorry" and then take the even tougher step of correcting their mistake, it really blows people away, in the best way possible.  For some reason, I think the Devils are going to realize this sooner than we all think...and take appropriate action.  We'll just have to try to be patient until they do.     

I think it would be pretty awesome if they wind up switching back before the season (if league rules permit, some say yes, some say no). Of course, as a jersey collector, that will make me want to buy the new, rare, unused version even more!

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think it would be pretty awesome if they wind up switching back before the season (if league rules permit, some say yes, some say no). Of course, as a jersey collector, that will make me want to buy the new, rare, unused version even more!

The league won't let them change before this season. They may even have a rule in place that it has to be a couple of seasons. But I have a feeling that as soon as possible there's a re-design

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

The league won't let them change. They may even have a rule in place that it has to be a couple of seasons. But I have a feeling that as soon as possible there's a re-design

I remember that being the case several years ago, not sure if that rule still exists. I'm not going to pretend I have any idea. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I remember that being the case several years ago, not sure if that rule still exists. I'm not going to pretend I have any idea. 

My reason for thinking this is because they just signed this big Adidas deal. I'd imagine they don't want it to appear like the design of any jersey is "bad". Regardless of how bad it actually may be. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would have to agree with this. No change was needed. They could have scratched that itch by making a 3rd jersey, they could have done whatever they wanted with it, new logo, black jersey, etc., and people may have been upset, but they'd still have their original jerseys to fall back on.

If you are going to experiment, do it with a 3rd. If somehow you knock it out of the box and make a phenomenal jersey that everyone loves, it would be way easier to say "we're gonna switch to that one" rather than just revamp a design that for a majority of our fans, the team has worn the entire time they have been following the team. 

This is exactly how I feel, except I don't think a new crest, even on a third jersey, is going to fly with this fanbase.  They easily could have waited a year to unveil a third jersey, and likely would have heard very little uproar.  Instead, this blew up in their face big time, mainly because they (Hugh Weber in particular) are completely out of touch with this fanbase.  I have a very strong feeling that it was Hugh that was pushing for the major changes to the jersey and crest.  The guy just seems like a total phony to me who thinks he knows everything but is really just clueless and lucky to be in the position he is in.   

It would be amazing to see the team admit it's mistake and go back to the prior jersey design, but I highly doubt that is going to happen for the next year or 2.  It's likely that Adidas has already started production and is not going to be willing to take a financial hit for the Devils mistake and misjudgment of its fanbase.  I can't see the Devils buying their way out of this either (if its even an option for them at this point).  I think we are stuck with this crap for a few years unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

In terms of acceptable redesign it's going to be personal taste. I really don't agree that they didn't change much. They removed a fundamental element of the jersey in the lower strips.  

Anyway, personally I actually like the new shoulders. I have had no problem losing the white on  collar or the stripes on the arm all being the same width. 

I would have been happier if they had kept some stripes on the bottom. Even if they did something like the Oilers jersey with thin stripes inter spaced with red. 

The current design just doesn't make any sense to me. The fact it's a redesign is not my issue. It's the fact that it's a bad redesign with some real flaws.

5 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

This is exactly how I feel, except I don't think a new crest, even on a third jersey, is going to fly with this fanbase.  They easily could have waited a year to unveil a third jersey, and likely would have heard very little uproar.  Instead, this blew up in their face big time, mainly because they (Hugh Weber in particular) are completely out of touch with this fanbase.  I have a very strong feeling that it was Hugh that was pushing for the major changes to the jersey and crest.  The guy just seems like a total phony to me who thinks he knows everything but is really just clueless and lucky to be in the position he is in.   

It would be amazing to see the team admit it's mistake and go back to the prior jersey design, but I highly doubt that is going to happen for the next year or 2.  It's likely that Adidas has already started production and is not going to be willing to take a financial hit for the Devils mistake and misjudgment of its fanbase.  I can't see the Devils buying their way out of this either (if its even an option for them at this point).  I think we are stuck with this crap for a few years unfortunately.

On a third I think it would have gone over fine. It's almost expected to be a different crest on a third. Even if people didn't like that idea, mist would probably say "it's only a third, the real jerseys still have the right crest".

I'd not advocate changing the crest on the main jerseys, let's be honest, 35 years later, that crest is still awesome. 

On 6/26/2017 at 4:30 PM, mfitz804 said:

fwiw I remember the Islanders were able to change their crest back to the real Islanders logo after 2 years of fisherman. They kept the wavy look for 1997-1998 with the old crest and by 1998-1999 went back to a tradional Islanders look.

So it may be 2 or 3 years unfortunately

10 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

We need to keep making sure we're making noise about this or else the organization sees it's blown over and tries to ignore the issue until most of the fan base is over it.

They aren't going to go back to the old jersey because a handful of fans can't handle change.