The Devils Can't Score Since Nov. 16th.

Neb00rs

16 hours ago, Jersey Sure said:

This.  Looks like a team that is tired.  Just sloppy the last 3 games.  

I don't see how that can be an excuse.  Sure they've had some back to backs a number of times this season, and also coming off a stretch of like 8 games in 14 days or something, but still, before that, we already had that loooooong break earlier in the year of like 7 days off, not to mention we just had most of last week off (played Monday, then not again til Friday).  Same thing with this week coming up...we had off yesterday and now again today.  Two days rest should be plenty in order to gear up for tomorrow's game.  I'm not sure how much Hynes is working them in practice on off days or in the morning skates before games, but maybe he needs to go a little easier on them.  Not to mention the fact that this team is pretty young and should be full of energy.  I could understand if the team was full of older guys and veterans who have logged a lot of miles and time and have a hard time playing back to backs or maintaining energy levels for several games in a short amount of time, but this team should be hungry.  

I dont think the schedule or practices have as much to do with the sloppiness , it the demands of hynes in the 110% all out, style of play.. playing beyond your comfort zone each game is not sustainable, but even this is secondary.. we just dont have consistent finishers on this team.. dont care what the metrics say, we have playmakers

attitude or not, Id take evander over a bunch of devils, it why we cant bench stafford

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't see how that can be an excuse.  Sure they've had some back to backs a number of times this season, and also coming off a stretch of like 8 games in 14 days or something, but still, before that, we already had that loooooong break earlier in the year of like 7 days off, not to mention we just had most of last week off (played Monday, then not again til Friday).  Same thing with this week coming up...we had off yesterday and now again today.  Two days rest should be plenty in order to gear up for tomorrow's game.  I'm not sure how much Hynes is working them in practice on off days or in the morning skates before games, but maybe he needs to go a little easier on them.  Not to mention the fact that this team is pretty young and should be full of energy.  I could understand if the team was full of older guys and veterans who have logged a lot of miles and time and have a hard time playing back to backs or maintaining energy levels for several games in a short amount of time, but this team should be hungry.  

That was more of an agreement with a general observation.  I don't quite understand it myself.  Especially the past 2 games coming off a few days break.  This team should be hungry.  On the other hand, I might get caught up in "please don't turn into last season" that I might get lost in the grind of an 82 game season. And that teams do have peaks and valleys at different times.  Hopefully the valleys aren't extended.

Let's see the response this week.  

36 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

From a business sense, I don't see Zajac waiving his NTC. His agent knows he has the team by the balls despite whatever production, or lack of it, he produces. He could literally have zero points the rest of the season and Shero will be forced to keep him on the roster to the tune of $5.7 mil, hardly chump change. I'm not saying Travis would do that, but he has the peace of mind knowing he will get his guaranteed money regardless of his production.  I hated the contract when Lou did it because Zajac was clearly not worth $44 mil for 8 years plus the NTC. But he was a good soldier and Lou was loyal to "his guys" (especially utility players which he put a high premium on). 

Someone a few months ago said on this board that Lou was eyeing a return to NJ as GM or as a senior advisor above Shero if the Leafs don't extend him. I hope they were talking out of their ass...

That’s why I was trying to send him home to Winnipeg, that might be something he would waive his NTC for.

They aren’t bringing Lou back to replace Ray ir in a position above Ray. If they wanted to bring him back in an advisory position that they give to an old man just to keep his mind occupied but he doesn’t actually wield any power, I’d be ok with that. The guy put in his time, if there’s a “no-show” job within the organization, that’s fine. 

5 minutes ago, Jersey Sure said:

That was more of an agreement with a general observation.  I don't quite understand it myself.  Especially the past 2 games coming off a few days break.  This team should be hungry.  On the other hand, I might get caught up in "please don't turn into last season" that I might get lost in the grind of an 82 game season. And that teams do have peaks and valleys at different times.  Hopefully the valleys aren't extended.

Yeah, agreed.  Big road test tomorrow.  Friday will be equally tough, but I'm hoping the days off Wed/Thurs, and then coming home for the game, should give the team something extra to play for, especially depending on how tomorrow's game goes.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s why I was trying to send him home to Winnipeg, that might be something he would waive his NTC for.

They aren’t bringing Lou back to replace Ray ir in a position above Ray. If they wanted to bring him back in an advisory position that they give to an old man just to keep his mind occupied but he doesn’t actually wield any power, I’d be ok with that. The guy put in his time, if there’s a “no-show” job within the organization, that’s fine. 

I'm betting and praying there's no shot of him coming back, I just don't see it under any circumstances.  There's no way he settles  for a role where he has no say, even if that was the job description.  He's too controlling to not jump into the middle of everything like hair length, beards etc..... :)

I feel like Zajac makes the Devils a worse team. Whenever he comes back from whatever injury we play worse. I feel this year when Boyle came in we went from being a super scoring team to a high level team, and now with zajac we are just a normal team. The chemistry at the beginning of the year was amazing. Too bad we couldn't trade Zajac instead of Henrique.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vic Rattlehead18 said:

I feel like Zajac makes the Devils a worse team. Whenever he comes back from whatever injury we play worse. I feel this year when Boyle came in we went from being a super scoring team to a high level team, and now with zajac we are just a normal team. The chemistry at the beginning of the year was amazing. Too bad we couldn't trade Zajac instead of Henrique.

Yea you obviously wouldn't be getting Vatanen back for a Zajac :lol:

6 hours ago, Jersey Sure said:

They started 9-2-0.

Then went 0-2-2.

Then 5-1-2.

Now they've lost 2 out of three.

They haven't come close to really hitting a valley yet, and that's with guys out of the lineup (though to be fair it's not like they've been completely decimated by injuries). 

This isn't directed at you or anyone in particular, but this team is 15-7-4 and one point out of first, Nico and Bratt have done quite well for an 18 and 19-year-old rookies, Butcher has been a nice find, Schneider overall is having a more Schneider-type of year, Hall is off to a fine start and seems to be very much all-in, but now there's implications that maybe the team isn't hungry enough and somehow last season is coming up again. 

Last year's team started off 9-3-3.  This one was 9-4-2 at the same point.  Last year's team went 3-5-3 and was 12-8-6 at the 27-game mark (they would go 0-5-1 in their next six to fall to 12-13-7).  This team has gone 6-3-2 in its last 11.  Last season's Devils basically fell to pieces in December...I just don't see that happening again with this group...especially since they have a nice chunk of home games coming (a 6-game homestand in there as well). 

If someone told us this season would get off to this kind of start, we'd all would've been beyond thrilled with it...we all expected a team with upside and young talents, but with enough growing pains that we sure as hell didn't expect the Devils/Blue Jackets home-and-home to have as much early-season significance as it will.

Just feels like some fans should be enjoying this more than they are...or at least be more accepting of the fact that it's not always going to be as easy as it seemed to be earlier on.  I get criticisms, but it just feels like the standards are already being set too high.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

If Cammy was bought out last off-season... I could see Zajac getting the same treatment this summer.

He looks done.

Cam only had two seasons left.  Zajac will have three and at more money.  One of those questions of how much dead cap space does Shero really want to accumulate? 

CapFriendly lists the Devils taking a cap hit of $1.25 mil, $2 mil, $2 mil, $2 mil, $2 mil, and $2 mil over the next six seasons if they buy out Zajac.  After this season, they're still taking a $1.67 million hit on Cam for the next three seasons (there's also DSP's $225k and Kovy's $250k hits next season). 

Right now just cross your fingers that Zajac just needs time to get things going (I admit it, I'm not encouraged, and hope I'm very wrong).  But yeah, he's one guy that definitely is concerning me right now...Greene too.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just feels like some fans should be enjoying this more than they are...or at least be more accepting of the fact that it's not always going to be as easy as it seemed to be earlier on.  I get criticisms, but it just feels like the standards are already being set too high.     

Thanks.  I need to be reminded more.  Your entire response was exactly what I needed to hear.

Edited by Jersey Sure

It's not that we aren't enjoying this, everyone is.. it's just that we are at that next jump mode, and seeing some of the warts

Maybe realizing the next steps get harder... Bratt a great find, but now we see him missing those one-timers, hall doing everything, but..., zajac just not scoring, marcus looking a bit lost , zacha not panning out.. the defense we see santini just getting by, and butchers defensive game a bit small.. Greene digressing fast... severson just being severson

We will see what we have over the next 10-12 games, then Shero has continue making moves.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the reason for that is because for 20-25 years we were used to having a team that was expected to either be in the playoffs and going through a deep run, or at the very least had a shot at the playoffs, and then we went through 5 years being at the bottom of the league, so to finally come out of that, people are anxious to immediately put us back at the top.  Obviously it doesn't usually happen like that, but because we're still hovering around top 5 in the league or so, it's easy to get carried away.  Expectations should be tempered a little bit, and then I think people will be enjoying this more.

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

We will see what we have over the next 10-12 games, then Shero has continue making moves.

I disagree with that big time.  How much more can you ask Shero to do?  At least in this small amount of time?  The guy's only been at the helm a couple of years, and he's made significant moves in that time span, including a pretty big shake-up just last week.  At some point he's going to run out of options, just until more time passes. But even when certain contracts expire and he gets some more flexibility, it doesn't mean that he should or will be making moves right away.  Constantly bringing in new guys and sending people out doesn't build team chemistry and unity.  When you look at our roster, who have we had on the team for more than 5 years?  Greene and Zajac (not counting Schneider since he's stuck in net).  That's a damn small percentage when you consider a roster of 21.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wouldn't take a McDavid or someone like that if it makes our team better, I'm just saying that I think A) those types of deals won't be available to us, and B ) unless it's some type of insane deal where we are the clear winners, we might want to just take it easy for a while and let this team find its identity.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I disagree with that big time.  How much more can you ask Shero to do?  At least in this small amount of time?  The guy's only been at the helm a couple of years, and he's made significant moves in that time span, including a pretty big shake-up just last week.  At some point he's going to run out of options, just until more time passes. But even when certain contracts expire and he gets some more flexibility, it doesn't mean that he should or will be making moves right away.  Constantly bringing in new guys and sending people out doesn't build team chemistry and unity.  When you look at our roster, who have we had on the team for more than 5 years?  Greene and Zajac (not counting Schneider since he's stuck in net).  That's a damn small percentage when you consider a roster of 21.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wouldn't take a McDavid or someone like that if it makes our team better, I'm just saying that I think A) those types of deals won't be available to us, and B ) unless it's some type of insane deal where we are the clear winners, we might want to just take it easy for a while and let this team find its identity.  

In 10 to 20 games we will know if a run is in order, im thinking not yet.. this team still needs work 

I think Shero knows what type of team he wants and will continue to replace peices.. it doesn't mean bringing in big names.. in fact, if things start to slip, I can see him trading some assets for draft picks.. rather than the opposite   

Btw, outside of our top line and the AHL overachievers we have little chemistry to screw up lol

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The record at the time was good (11-4-2), but there were growing concerns about defense and faceoffs...it was thought by many that Zajac could not only help in those areas, but be a stabilizing veteran presence on a young team.  The biggest surprise has been the donuts in both goals and assists through nine games...I didn't kid myself that Zajac would step in and be some kind of offense dynamo, but he's been completely invisible in that regard.  What's scary is that I don't think he was rushed back...I think this might be what he is...he'll get some points eventually and maybe he can still be useful in some ways, but he simply may not be a great fit on the New Devils.

Some are criticizing Lou about Zajac's deal, but they've forgotten the circumstances at the time.  Kovy had "retired", Parise had gone to the Wild, and the Devils' center depth was not good.  There's was a lot of "Oh great Zajac's going to leave next, he'll probably go to Winnipeg!"  No, he hasn't lived up to the deal, but Zajac in three out of the last four seasons has been pretty good offensively (about 47 points per 82 GP in those three seasons)...if he can keep doing that, we can live with the cap hit...but he can't be 2014-15 Zajac or worse.     

SD is right in that this team was also due for some regression in shooting%...but I think the Devils are REALLY starting to miss Palms.  And MoJo is still trying to find himself after missing a nice chunk of time...though we really shouldn't expect a ton from him.  He's basically good for Henrique-type numbers when healthy (that's what he's done over the last three seasons...last year was better, but he also shot well above his career shooting%). 

Very well said on everything here. But yeah, I get that the team was eager to improve their defense, but given that they were finding ways to win, I don't imagine Zajac would have been rushed back if he was still injured, especially not after a torn pec. Like you said, I'm starting to think he's just not working on this new Devils team, which makes sense, because all the Devils teams he's been on have not been this quick or aggressive in the offensive zone.

6 hours ago, NLinfante said:

Here's the thing about Zajac: he's always been praised for his defensive play and FO%, but his offensive production has largely been tied to having great wingers ( our old friends 9 and 17 come to mind). With Palms and MoJo out, or just recently returned, Hall-Nico-Bratt occupying the top line and Rico traded, who exactly has Zajac played with who can help produce points?

I guess my point is, play him as a shut-down guy? Fine by me, but no one should really complain about a lack of production then. Play him as a top 2-center? Also fine, but at least give the guy some offensively gifted players to work with. I think we need to let this play out just a bit more before we start dreaming about waiving the NTC.

Not having great wingers is a valid excuse when you are producing more than the wingers you are on a line with. Zajac is not doing that.

6 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Not to mention the fact that this team is pretty young and should be full of energy. 

Eh, very often the veterans are the ones conditioned to make it through a full NHL season. The NHL is faster and more physical than the lower tier leagues and it takes a bigger physical toll on the body and mind. And the Devils have had a tough travel schedule the past two weeks. I think exhaustion is a factor.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

Just now, Neb00rs said:

Eh, very often the veterans are the ones conditioned to make it through a full NHL season. The NHL is faster and more physical than the lower tier leagues and it takes a bigger physical toll on the body and mind. And the Devils have had a tough travel schedule the past two weeks. I think exhaustion is a factor.

Part of the adjustment process for the kids is figuring out how to get through the grind of an 82-game NHL schedule.  It's a much different beast than the young guys are used to...sure, some guys can handle it right away, but many struggle with both the increased number of games and the much stiffer competition.  Not saying that he ever did, but Hischier probably could've coasted and still put up 3-4 points in the Q in any given game last season.  As we just saw, you don't get that in the NHL...it's the best hockey league in the world, and some days where you're gassed out or not feeling it, even a seemingly bad team can take full advantage of it. 

Like I've said elsewhere, the VERY good news is that Nico and Bratt are at least holding their own most nights, and have shined at times, despite making a big jump, playing against many experienced NHLers, and not even being old enough to buy a post-game drink.  Glad that December will be a bit more relaxing...fair number of days off in between games, and not too much travel.  Perfect time for them to catch their breath (along with others).  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Part of the adjustment process for the kids is figuring out how to get through the grind of an 82-game NHL schedule.  It's a much different beast than the young guys are used to...sure, some guys can handle it right away, but many struggle with both the increased number of games and the much stiffer competition.  Not saying that he ever did, but Hischier probably could've coasted and still put up 3-4 points in the Q in any given game last season.  As we just saw, you don't get that in the NHL...it's the best hockey league in the world, and some days where you're gassed out or not feeling it, even a seemingly bad team can take full advantage of it. 

Like I've said elsewhere, the VERY good news is that Nico and Bratt are at least holding their own most nights, and have shined at times, despite making a big jump, playing against many experienced NHLers, and not even being old enough to buy a post-game drink.  Glad that December will be a bit more relaxing...fair number of days off in between games, and not too much travel.  Perfect time for them to catch their breath (along with others).  

To the bold, which raises an important point, the parity in the NHL is probably the best of any of the major North American sports leagues. The old cliche about "losing a step" could not be truer in the case of the NHL. Because on a night when you have a tired player or two, it can indeed make a huge difference. Which is why there's no need to burn the house down when the team loses 5-0 against the Coyotes...well okay that was bad.

Agreed re: Bratt and Nico. I feel especially good about Nico, being that even when the team has looked beat, he has looked good. Against Florida at home, when the team was dragging their feet, he looked quick.

42 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I was thinking of that myself, and I'm definitely a person who likes to play devil's advocate, BUT...as someone who is on the wrong side of 30 myself and still playing hockey, I can tell you when I see younger guys on the rink and compare myself to them, there's no doubt that they have more energy and can keep the engines running longer than I can.  It's just a product of getting older and your body not being able to keep up.   Now if we're talking from a mental standpoint, then sure, maybe the veterans have the minds and experience to push themselves harder, but from a physical aspect, the younger guys with less miles on their bodies are the ones who have a pep in their step each night, even if they've played a string of games recently.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was thinking of that myself, and I'm definitely a person who likes to play devil's advocate, BUT...as someone who is on the wrong side of 30 myself and still playing hockey, I can tell you when I see younger guys on the rink and compare myself to them, there's no doubt that they have more energy and can keep the engines running longer than I can.  It's just a product of getting older and your body not being able to keep up.   Now if we're talking from a mental standpoint, then sure, maybe the veterans have the minds and experience to push themselves harder, but from a physical aspect, the younger guys with less miles on their bodies are the ones who have a pep in their step each night, even if they've played a string of games recently.

Young'uns are the type to have that pep in their step and fizzle out after 20 games just like a five year-old bonces off walls for three hours and then drops into a nap in the middle of the floor. I'm not talking about 38 year old veterans here, I'm talking about 26-33. Those are the best conditioned guys on the ice AND they have the strongest bodies to bear the brunt of the opposition. Honestly, Nico's endurance looks good, but he's is getting manhandled out there. At 18 years old and a lanky 6'1 175 lbs, he's going to need some rest time this season, or the physical impact will take a toll. 

• Like 1