Andrew Gross leaving beat?

mikemarc1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Regarding the bolded - I barely use twitter at all, but when I do check my feed it's entirely for sports-related news.  I don't mind a tweet or two to give me a look behind the scenes, if you will, but I don't need dozens and dozens of tweets about sh!t unrelated to the Devils if I'm following you for Devils-related news.  I'm probably in the minority here, admittedly.  

Again, I am not a Twitter user, but being on the outside looking in, what you "need" from someone else's Twitter account is kind of irrelevant. The fact that you only follow Amanda for Devils news doesn't mean she is obligated to only post Devils content so that you don't get dozens of Tweets you don't "need". 

If there's any doubt that its not a professional news source, the picture of her in the Devils vs. Everybody shirt with the sunglasses and duckface kind of sealed that. 

Its just like this message board, you may not be interested in every thread, but that doesn't stop people from posting them. 

As far as her Twitter account goes, it's her world, and you're just living in it. 

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Perhaps I am.  But I don't put "Works for _____ but have interests outside engineering" on my business cards or on my LinkedIn.  My point is, I think it reflects poorly on her professionally to be this seemingly dismissive of the team and sport she's paid to cover.

Also, I suspect that like many young people, she's trying to get as many followers as possible to generate some kind of following that she can take with her in the event she parts ways with the Devils, which let's face it, in this world, is more likely than not to happen eventually. 

I don't see how having other interests makes one dismissive of the team or the sport, she's just saying that's not her whole world. Maybe it's yours or mine, maybe you want it to be that your beat reporter is 100% red and black all the time, but that's not reality. 

Well there is still a difference between what AS tweets and what Abbey tweets.  Stein largely tweets about the Devils, but she also puts in stuff about her personal life here and there.  There used to be more (especially of the whiny, entitled brat kind) early on, but in the last few months it has gotten a lot better.  On the other side you have Abbey who seems like she wants to tweet about anything but the Devils.  Kind of an interesting approach since she is the Devils beat writer for the newspaper she works for.  Even when the Devils were in the playoffs she tweeted almost as much about the Mets (her old job) as she did about the Devils.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Well there is still a difference between what AS tweets and what Abbey tweets.  Stein largely tweets about the Devils, but she also puts in stuff about her personal life here and there.  There used to be more (especially of the whiny, entitled brat kind) early on, but in the last few months it has gotten a lot better.  On the other side you have Abbey who seems like she wants to tweet about anything but the Devils.  Kind of an interesting approach since she is the Devils beat writer for the newspaper she works for.  Even when the Devils were in the playoffs she tweeted almost as much about the Mets (her old job) as she did about the Devils.

Flipping through the first couple pages, I didn't get that impression. But again, you are on Twitter, not on the Bergen Record's website. The fact that YOU may want to use Twitter as your source of news doesn't mean Amanda or Abbey or anyone has to restrict their account to the things you are interested in. 

On a more important sexist note...Amanda vs. Abbey...who do you choose?

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Flipping through the first couple pages, I didn't get that impression. But again, you are on Twitter, not on the Bergen Record's website. The fact that YOU may want to use Twitter as your source of news doesn't mean Amanda or Abbey or anyone has to restrict their account to the things you are interested in. 

On a more important sexist note...Amanda vs. Abbey...who do you choose?

Amanda at least keeps it somewhat Devils-centric at worst.  Abbey seems like rather talk about anything else.  Also, her tweets and columns are not exactly all that great compared to not only her 2 direct predecessors (TG and AG), but are also poor quality compared to Stein, Chris Ryan, etc.

Eh neither.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Maybe, but I think I saved myself a lot of headaches.

The obvious answer is:

RECAP:

• Abbey goes to games using her press credentials.
  • Amanda works for the team. Can get you free tickets and probably a prize pack. 

Amanda wins. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to unfollow Mastracco on twitter. The only tweets I have seen from her related to hockey ( there rest have been arguing with fans or about puppies) have been about David Quinn and the Rangers.

I had a look back through her feed and there are two mentions of Lou and the islanders and a solatary post about Yakovlev , so maybe it's just he case these aren't finding their way into my feed, but honneslty I don't feel like she gives two fvcks, so what's the point? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Decided to unfollow Mastracco on twitter. The only tweets I have seen from her related to hockey ( there rest have been arguing with fans or about puppies) have been about David Quinn and the Rangers.

I had a look back through her feed and there are two mentions of Lou and the islanders and a solatary post about Yakovlev , so maybe it's just he case these aren't finding their way into my feed, but honneslty I don't feel like she gives two fvcks, so what's the point? 

That's funny because today on my lunch break I decided to scroll through her timeline for the past 2-3 weeks worth of posts and noticed the exact same thing.  She doesn't even hide it anymore that she doesn't give a sh!t.  Her solidary post about Yakovlev was a straight-forward "Devils signed x player" while she had a bunch of Lou-Islanders related stuff including articles and posts she re-tweeted.

Also to top an irony sundae her pinned tweet is her responding to a guy asking her why can't she root for the Devils with "Because that's considered unprofessional."

• Like 1

I think the other Abbey articles were really interesting, like “should the Devils bring back Drew Stafford” or “Jimmy Hayes year in review”

I’ll still follow her on twitter because why not.  But it’s clear the Record couldnt find the Devils beat important enough to find someone of the caliber of TG or AG

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think the other Abbey articles were really interesting, like “should the Devils bring back Drew Stafford” or “Jimmy Hayes year in review”

I’ll still follow her on twitter because why not.  But it’s clear the Record couldnt find the Devils beat important enough to find someone of the caliber of TG or AG

I don't think AG was anything special either.

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

Based by how she is doing it seems like the Record took her away from the Mets kicking and screaming and towards the Devils.

Based by how she is doing it seems like the Record took her away from the Mets kicking and screaming and towards the Devils.

Well they should either stick her back on the Mets beat or just have her cover something else. I have no interest in having the team covered indifferently by someone who’s more interested in what socks deGrom wore during his last start. Until then, I’ll stick with Ryan and Stein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 2:50 PM, DevsMan84 said:

That's funny because today on my lunch break I decided to scroll through her timeline for the past 2-3 weeks worth of posts and noticed the exact same thing.  She doesn't even hide it anymore that she doesn't give a sh!t.  Her solidary post about Yakovlev was a straight-forward "Devils signed x player" while she had a bunch of Lou-Islanders related stuff including articles and posts she re-tweeted.

Also to top an irony sundae her pinned tweet is her responding to a guy asking her why can't she root for the Devils with "Because that's considered unprofessional."

She Also had a bunch of posts about the new rangers coach...  I unfollowed as don't need Twitter clogged with mets, arguing with fans, and her whining about how nyc is different from la..making fun of us in ny for eating lunch in a park during a workday and not working out.   

Never read one of her articles, and have no inclination to do so.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:15 PM, DevsMan84 said:

She covered the Mets for the Ledger, she wasn't re-assigned.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, DevsMan84 said:

She actually blocked that person.   What a tool