2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah you're probably right.  I wouldn't blame him for being tired and it wouldn't surprise me if he is.  I think he probably took the job with the Blues for a few reasons A) because he was with the organization already, and B ) because he was ending his career as an athlete, where hockey was all he knew for 20+ years, and wanted to see if he could stay involved in a managerial role and keep it going at the same level and pace as he did as a player.  Now that a few years has gone by and the smoke has settled, I think you're right - he probably is welcoming and ready for a job where he's still involved to a degree, but it's a much more relaxed and easy job that doesn't take up as much of his time and isn't mentally grueling.  The more I think about it the more this makes sense - it's a really good stepping stone for him to eventually segway into a front office role down the road, whether it's 5 years, 10 years, or more.

There's a part of me that wonders if he wouldn't mind becoming part of an ownership group one day (or even eventually having a stake in the Devils)...obviously not real soon, probably several years away.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's a part of me that wonders if he wouldn't mind becoming part of an ownership group one day (or even eventually having a stake in the Devils)...obviously not real soon, probably several years away.

Unless he strikes it big in real estate or some other business venture like Roger Staubach, he probably won't have the money to buy a stake in a team that's anything other than a token amount, sort of like what the Dolphins did with their various celebrity owners.  Mario was able to get a piece of the Penguins because of money he was owed. 

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Unless he strikes it big in real estate or some other business venture like Roger Staubach, he probably won't have the money to buy a stake in a team that's anything other than a token amount, sort of like what the Dolphins did with their various celebrity owners.  Mario was able to get a piece of the Penguins because of money he was owed. 

Not necessarily true...he just couldn't do it alone. Derek Jeter didn't bust out his wallet and pay $1.2 Billion for the Marlins. He could get a group of investors together to get it accomplished. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not necessarily true...he just couldn't do it alone. Derek Jeter didn't bust out his wallet and pay $1.2 Billion for the Marlins. He could get a group of investors together to get it accomplished. 

We don't know what Jeter's interest in the Marlins is and how much he might have paid for it.  Someone estimated his net worth to be something like $185 million, so maybe he put up $20 or $30 million, which is still a token interest.  The group had the money to buy the team without him, and brought Jeter on board more so he could run things.

Marty has to be worth significantly less than Jeter.  First he made much less in salary, has a bunch of kids and had to deal with a hefty divorce settlement.  So all told, even under the best case scenario, he might have a couple of million to invest in a team.  Basically, less than what Andy Greene takes home in a season.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

We don't know what Jeter's interest in the Marlins is and how much he might have paid for it.  Someone estimated his net worth to be something like $185 million, so maybe he put up $20 or $30 million, which is still a token interest.  The group had the money to buy the team without him, and brought Jeter on board more so he could run things.

Marty has to be worth significantly less than Jeter.  First he made much less in salary, has a bunch of kids and had to deal with a hefty divorce settlement.  So all told, even under the best case scenario, he might have a couple of million to invest in a team.  Basically, less than what Andy Greene takes home in a season.

Yea I was just thinking...in the same era hockey players were bringing home 6-8m tops, guys like A-Rod and Jeter were taking home like 20m a season or something.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could totally see him wanting to do that - like others have said though, he couldn't do it alone, and maybe not even with others. 

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I could totally see him wanting to do that - like others have said though, he couldn't do it alone, and maybe not even with others. 

Maybe marty would want to, but why would current ownership want to is what I am struggling with. Even Marty + some equity firm/rich group of people would have to make a pretty sweet deal for current ownership to give up the control they currently have. It doesn't seem like they're in need of any financial assistance either. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was never implying that he had the financial resources to even dream about doing it alone (unless he was interested in owning a lower-league franchise, which I doubt that he is).  And if he was ever going to become part of a potential ownership group, clearly other parties would be putting up a hell of a lot more than he would.  I think right now, if anything, he's trying to make himself more valuable in other ways (like knowing as many of the in-and-outs involved with running and being part of an NHL hockey franchise as he possibly can).

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Maybe marty would want to, but why would current ownership want to is what I am struggling with. Even Marty + some equity firm/rich group of people would have to make a pretty sweet deal for current ownership to give up the control they currently have. It doesn't seem like they're in need of any financial assistance either. 

If he was ever going to get a stake here, it would never be something so huge that all of a sudden he'd have all of the control.  In ways it would be a "Marty REALLY wants to be a part of the NJ Devils, until he doesn't" kind of thing, with current ownership's blessing.

Obviously we all know that even if he might have any interest in being part of an ownership sometime in the future (in one of those "maybe someday..." kinds of ways), doesn't mean it will ever happen.  If I had a dime for all of the things that I thought about doing at various times in my life...

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Agreed. According to Google, Jeter contributed $25 million. I'm not going to speculate on whether Marty can afford $25 million, but yes he clearly made a lot less than Jeter. 

But on the flip side, if you were a group of investors and had the opportunity to make #30 the face of your group, that might not be a bad thing to do. Maybe he would only have a token interest, but for the group, it's still "Hey, Brodeur is an owner, we're legit". 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. According to Google, Jeter contributed $25 million. I'm not going to speculate on whether Marty can afford $25 million, but yes he clearly made a lot less than Jeter. 

But on the flip side, if you were a group of investors and had the opportunity to make #30 the face of your group, that might not be a bad thing to do. Maybe he would only have a token interest, but for the group, it's still "Hey, Brodeur is an owner, we're legit". 

Here's a legit hockey presence, a top name, and on top of that, he's gaining experience in some of the day-to-day operations of an NHL hockey franchise...he'll be more than just a face.  I agree, what he won't have in cash, he would be able to make up for in other areas.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Here's a legit hockey presence, a top name, and on top of that, he's gaining experience in some of the day-to-day operations of an NHL hockey franchise...he'll be more than just a face.  I agree, what he won't have in cash, he would be able to make up for in other areas.

He probably got paid well for that "Aston Mar-tan" commercial. 😀

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, you might as well just make him team president and leave it at that.  The Canucks did something like that with Trevor Linden, and didn't have to go through the rigamoral of giving him an ownership interest.  I can't imagine that you're putting one additional butt in a seat because you can say he owns less than a one percent interest in the team.

Edited by Daniel

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Oh yeah, I don't think it happens anytime soon, and likely doesn't happen with the current group of owners.  If it ever did happen, I see this as something 10 years down the road or so, maybe even 15-20.  Marty's not that old, he's what, 46?  I could see him wanting and/or exploring something like this in his late 50s or early 60s.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was never implying that he had the financial resources to even dream about doing it alone (unless he was interested in owning a lower-league franchise, which I doubt that he is).  And if he was ever going to become part of a potential ownership group, clearly other parties would be putting up a hell of a lot more than he would.  I think right now, if anything, he's trying to make himself more valuable in other ways (like knowing as many of the in-and-outs involved with running and being part of an NHL hockey franchise as he possibly can).

If he was ever going to get a stake here, it would never be something so huge that all of a sudden he'd have all of the control.  In ways it would be a "Marty REALLY wants to be a part of the NJ Devils, until he doesn't" kind of thing, with current ownership's blessing.

Obviously we all know that even if he might have any interest in being part of an ownership sometime in the future (in one of those "maybe someday..." kinds of ways), doesn't mean it will ever happen.  If I had a dime for all of the things that I thought about doing at various times in my life...

Oh I know you weren't, I was just saying/agreeing with what the others had said too :) 

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He doesn't have that kind of money. He got hit hard with alimony.

11 hours ago, devlman said:

He doesn't have that kind of money. He got hit hard with alimony.

Even assuming that's true (like mfitz just pointed out, not like any of us know the state of his finances...or for that matter, the terms of his alimony), who's to say that his situation couldn't be better down the road (smart investments, possible successful business ventures, etc)?  No one was suggesting that this would ever happen anytime soon.  He just got here.

Also, as was stated in a number of posts previously, if he were ever to be part of an ownership group, it doesn't necessarily mean that he has to come up with an insane amount of cash.  Like mfitz said, he can be the hockey "face" of his group, and the guy who was not only a top player, but someone who's accumulated experience being involved in different departments of an NHL franchise. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even assuming that's true (like mfitz just pointed out, not like any of us know the state of his finances...or for that matter, the terms of his alimony), who's to say that his situation couldn't be better down the road (smart investments, possible successful business ventures, etc)?  No one was suggesting that this would ever happen anytime soon.  He just got here.

Also, as was stated in a number of posts previously, if he were ever to be part of an ownership group, it doesn't necessarily mean that he has to come up with an insane amount of cash.  Like mfitz said, he can be the hockey "face" of his group, and the guy who was not only a top player, but someone who's accumulated experience being involved in different departments of an NHL franchise. 

His alimony is $500K per year until 2020. I Googled and found the court documents. But the rest of what I said, I stand by. He had endorsements. He wrote a book. There's merchandise. I assume he invested money, possibly even having done so wisely. 

I'm in no position to have any opinion concerning his finances, nor are any of us. 

But, based on straight salary, and the fact that Jeter was a baseball player, on the Yankees, and was not only paid more salary but probably more for his endorsements, its pretty clear that Jeter SHOULD be on a different level. He did have to pay for those baskets of team merchandise his booty calls got to leave with, at least I hope he did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

His alimony is $500K per year until 2020. I Googled and found the court documents. But the rest of what I said, I stand by. He had endorsements. He wrote a book. There's merchandise. I assume he invested money, possibly even having done so wisely. 

I'm in no position to have any opinion concerning his finances, nor are any of us. 

But, based on straight salary, and the fact that Jeter was a baseball player, on the Yankees, and was not only paid more salary but probably more for his endorsements, its pretty clear that Jeter SHOULD be on a different level. He did have to pay for those baskets of team merchandise his booty calls got to leave with, at least I hope he did. 

If it's been that much, he's presumably paid out something close to $10M in alimony.  I'm too lazy to try to figure out exactly how much money he made post-tax in his career but I'm guessing somewhere around $30-35M?   So he could be a token part of an ownership group, but unless he's gotten very lucky with investment returns, there's no way he has that kind of cash.  Either way, I think he wants to become a team president somewhere down the line and presumably he wants to do it here.

Edited by Triumph

6 hours ago, Triumph said:

If it's been that much, he's presumably paid out something close to $10M in alimony.  I'm too lazy to try to figure out exactly how much money he made post-tax in his career but I'm guessing somewhere around $30-35M?   So he could be a token part of an ownership group, but unless he's gotten very lucky with investment returns, there's no way he has that kind of cash.  Either way, I think he wants to become a team president somewhere down the line and presumably he wants to do it here.

That’s only alimony, don’t forget, he pays for the kids too.

• Thanks 1