Devils Report Card

Nicomo

If I was just reading this article and I was not a Devs fan I would think this team was top 6 in the league and maybe made it to the conf, finals.

8 players w/ A's or better

Only players w less than a B are

Grabner, Hayes, Stafford, Mueller, Zacha & Corey,

1 was a total bust for the short time he was here, 2 never really played, 2 wee injured & Zacah was better than a c,

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, redruM said:

If I was just reading this article and I was not a Devs fan I would think this team was top 6 in the league and maybe made it to the conf, finals.

1 was a total bust for the short time he was here, 2 never really played, 2 wee injured & Zacah was better than a c,

A great deal of the grades were stupid. They also gave Johansson a C+, I guess its his fault he was injured. 

I disagree that Zacha was better than a C, except for the fact that they seemed to be passing out B's to everyone. There seems to be a large portion of the fanbase that thinks he's better than he actually has been. 

I also don't understand what Hayes' grade is based on, he was roster filler, and he filled the roster. Nobody expected anything from him and he barely played. 

4 hours ago, redruM said:

Zacha got a C+ to me that’s just about right. 

Moore and Severson having a B+ and B sounds generous considering they were both so bad down the stretch, but that’s what is fresh in our memory. Severson did have a career high in goals, and Moore was much better the first half of the season. 

Edited by Nicomo

Personally I don't like Schneiders quote of saying "i was a big reason why were were in the position we were".  Maybe bc I play the position and would never say anything like that, instead  always credit the team in front of me.  That line sounds like he's putting himself above the offense and D, which imo is something a goalie should never do.

he was bailed out big time by the offense that was scoring alot early on this season which hid the one or 2 weak ones per game (on average).   Once the offense slumped by Christmas he was exposed and "slumped", even though he was playing the same level goaltending.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, bobilly45 said:

Personally I don't like Schneiders quote of saying "i was a big reason why were were in the position we were".  Maybe bc I play the position and would never say anything like that, instead  always credit the team in front of me.  That line sounds like he's putting himself above the offense and D, which imo is something a goalie should never do.

he was bailed out big time by the offense that was scoring alot early on this season which hid the one or 2 weak ones per game (on average).   Once the offense slumped by Christmas he was exposed and "slumped", even though he was playing the same level goaltending.

You're nothing if not consistently predictable, in trying to slam Cory evey chance you get.  Cory was hardly bailed out "big time" when he was 17-6-4.  He had plenty of terrific games when he was winning.  But I suspect you'll keep up the "Cory has always been average" crap, whatever it takes.

Wow is this a fvcking stupid post.  He was playing the same level?  Really?  He had a save% over .920 prior to that brutal slump.  He was in the .860s during the slump.  No one will argue that he was bad during the slump...he was awful for much of it.  But you're really going to say that he was playing at the same level prior to and during the slump?  And what's even more ridiculous is with you it's wins wins wins...that's a really bad way to measure a goalie, but that's your thing.  You can't even be consistent there...when Cory was winning plenty in going 17-6-4, according to you it's not him at all, it was his team bailing him out.  Why can't you just be fvcking honest just once and admit that you just don't like Cory, and that any time that you have an opportunity to knock him, you'll take it? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're nothing if not consistently predictable, in trying to slam Cory evey chance you get.  Cory was hardly bailed out "big time" when he was 17-6-4.  He had plenty of terrific games when he was winning.  But I suspect you'll keep up the "Cory has always been average" crap, whatever it takes.

Not to mention literally every player on the team has cited how incredibly selfless and supportive he is. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed, some people are very “what have you done for me lately”.

17 hours ago, aclc79 said:

We just have to hope CS has turned the corner, mentally and physically.  He showed some positive signs toward the end.  And he really is a great guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if any day now we get an update that CS is having some sort of surgery this offseason.  He still looked like he was playing hurt in the Tampa series.

Hall- A+. Arguably the best season a Devil has ever had.

Nico- A. Everything you could ask for and more. Especially considering he had a bum wrist all year. 

Butcher- A. "" ""

Bratt- B+. Only thing holding him back from an A was the last month or two of the season.

Coleman- B+. Consistently awesome in bottom 6 role all year long

Maroon- B+. Brought a dimension to the team that it lacked

Noesen- B+. Love the way he played all year long in the middle six. 

Vatanen- B. Legitimatized the defense, though it still needs work. A little inconsistent.

Kinkaid- B. Played out of his mind the last two months of the season. He was also ass for the other part of it.

Palmieri- B-. Never looked quite right all year. He was fighting injury after injury.  However, he scored some big goals.

Gibbons- B-. Tale of two seasons before and after injury.

Wood- B-. Reverted back to last year's Wood down the stretch but made some serious improvements early on.

Zajac- B-. Not gonna lie. I thought he was "done" but found a spark with Noesen and Coleman.

Severson- C+. A little disappointed with his season, but I have higher expectations for him than most. I think he'll be ok w/o Moore. 

Zacha- C+. He definitely made improvements, but he still has a ways to go. I think his season was a step in the right direction. 

Johansson- C+. You could see glimpses of what he can do when healthy. Hope for a full season next year. 

Mueller- C+. Don't love his game but he does some nice things.

Lovejoy- C+. I thought he had a decent season. He played too much down the stretch but it's not his fault. He is what he is- A 6 or 7 dman.

Boyle-C. Incredible story and has some soft hands. I still feel he's a miscast on this team.

Schneider- C. People will forget his first half where he carried, but he needs to put together a healthy season.

Stafford- C. We don't make the 'yoffs without his shootout prowess but he doesnt really do anything else well. He just existed.

Moore- C-. Same old story. Scores some big goals, does nothing else well. 

Greene- D+. Please find a suitable guy who can play top pair mins and send this guy to the bottom pair. 

Santini- D. Looked totally overmatched. Coaching didn't help. 

Hayes- D. Ugh

Grabner- F. What a flop..even though I supported the move and still do. Didn;t create anything the last 15 games and earned his healthy scratches in the playoffs.

---

Hynes- B+. Pushed a lot of the right buttons, but still makes bad personnel decisions. Feels like he got almost everything out of this team.

Shero- B+. Not a fan of the extend he "went for it" this year, but they got in and we sorely needed it as fans. Full faith in him going forward. 

Edited by Derlique
  • Like 1

Think you're off on your assessment of Palms, Derlique.  It did take him a while to get into a groove earlier in the season due to the injuries (and he does tend to be streaky), but the guy was completely dialed in over his last 33 regular season GP (16 goals, 12 assists).  He looked plenty right during that stretch.  Finished with 24 goals in 62 GP for the season (better than a 30-goal pace).  Not sure what you were expecting.  

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Think you're off on your assessment of Palms, Derlique.  It did take him a while to get into a groove earlier in the season due to the injuries (and he does tend to be streaky), but the guy was completely dialed in over his last 33 regular season GP (16 goals, 12 assists).  He looked plenty right during that stretch.  Finished with 24 goals in 62 GP for the season (better than a 30-goal pace).  Not sure what you were expecting.  

Exactly right. There were streaks where he looked like garbage, but he got it together and had a nice season. The effort in his last 33 games was likely overshadowed by another guy. 

11 hours ago, Derlique said:

Hall- A+. Arguably the best season a Devil has ever had.

Nico- A. Everything you could ask for and more. Especially considering he had a bum wrist all year. 

Butcher- A. "" ""

Bratt- B+. Only thing holding him back from an A was the last month or two of the season.

Coleman- B+. Consistently awesome in bottom 6 role all year long

Maroon- B+. Brought a dimension to the team that it lacked

Noesen- B+. Love the way he played all year long in the middle six. 

Vatanen- B. Legitimatized the defense, though it still needs work. A little inconsistent.

Kinkaid- B. Played out of his mind the last two months of the season. He was also ass for the other part of it.

Palmieri- B-. Never looked quite right all year. He was fighting injury after injury.  However, he scored some big goals.

Gibbons- B-. Tale of two seasons before and after injury.

Wood- B-. Reverted back to last year's Wood down the stretch but made some serious improvements early on.

Zajac- B-. Not gonna lie. I thought he was "done" but found a spark with Noesen and Coleman.

Severson- C+. A little disappointed with his season, but I have higher expectations for him than most. I think he'll be ok w/o Moore. 

Zacha- C+. He definitely made improvements, but he still has a ways to go. I think his season was a step in the right direction. 

Johansson- C+. You could see glimpses of what he can do when healthy. Hope for a full season next year. 

Mueller- C+. Don't love his game but he does some nice things.

Lovejoy- C+. I thought he had a decent season. He played too much down the stretch but it's not his fault. He is what he is- A 6 or 7 dman.

Boyle-C. Incredible story and has some soft hands. I still feel he's a miscast on this team.

Schneider- C. People will forget his first half where he carried, but he needs to put together a healthy season.

Stafford- C. We don't make the 'yoffs without his shootout prowess but he doesnt really do anything else well. He just existed.

Moore- C-. Same old story. Scores some big goals, does nothing else well. 

Greene- D+. Please find a suitable guy who can play top pair mins and send this guy to the bottom pair. 

Santini- D. Looked totally overmatched. Coaching didn't help. 

Hayes- D. Ugh

Grabner- F. What a flop..even though I supported the move and still do. Didn;t create anything the last 15 games and earned his healthy scratches in the playoffs.

---

Hynes- B+. Pushed a lot of the right buttons, but still makes bad personnel decisions. Feels like he got almost everything out of this team.

Shero- B+. Not a fan of the extend he "went for it" this year, but they got in and we sorely needed it as fans. Full faith in him going forward. 

Although some may question ratings for some players, I think it is spot on.  Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I know the production was there but I didn't love his play without the puck or neutral zone play. B- is probably a little harsh, but I dont think he was never really "on". Seemed to lack the extra gear he usually has

4 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Although some may question ratings for some players, I think it is spot on.  Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

I find Derlique's grades to be closer to reality than the ones from the article. Just a few issues with them. 

Hayes I might change, I think the guy did exactly what he was expected to do, which was a whole lot of nothing. I would call him a C- rather than a D. 

I might give Lovejoy a B- rather than C+ just because I expected D level play based on last year and he improved a lot. 

I also think Johansson's grade is undeserved, as I did with the grade given in the article. As far as I am concerned, he missed the midterm and the final because his roommate had a mental breakdown and had to go home. I would give him an "incomplete". 

I would give Bratt a B, just because I think Coleman deserves a better grade, and I cannot call Coleman an A-. he keeps the B+, Bratt gets a B. This is based mostly on expectations, plus the fact that Bratt wound up a healthy scratch so much at the end. Coleman should have been the odd man out as a 4th liner on a few occasions when guys came back, etc., but he made it so that couldn't happen by his play. 

I'd give Kinkaid a B-. He had a great couple of weeks at the end, before giving up a tremendous number of goals in the first two games and then getting benched again. We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him, but he really looked incredibly bad before that, to where people were calling for Eddie Lack. I'd have given him a C+ but for the last two weeks, that earns him the B-. 

Aside from those, there's a couple I would adjust the +/- on, but the argument could be made either way. 

I would note also, all of our defenseman outside of Butcher and Vatanen are C+ or lower. That sounds about right and that is what needs to be addressed most in the offseason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I find Derlique's grades to be closer to reality than the ones from the article. Just a few issues with them. 

Hayes I might change, I think the guy did exactly what he was expected to do, which was a whole lot of nothing. I would call him a C- rather than a D. 

I might give Lovejoy a B- rather than C+ just because I expected D level play based on last year and he improved a lot. 

I also think Johansson's grade is undeserved, as I did with the grade given in the article. As far as I am concerned, he missed the midterm and the final because his roommate had a mental breakdown and had to go home. I would give him an "incomplete". 

I would give Bratt a B, just because I think Coleman deserves a better grade, and I cannot call Coleman an A-. he keeps the B+, Bratt gets a B. This is based mostly on expectations, plus the fact that Bratt wound up a healthy scratch so much at the end. Coleman should have been the odd man out as a 4th liner on a few occasions when guys came back, etc., but he made it so that couldn't happen by his play. 

I'd give Kinkaid a B-. He had a great couple of weeks at the end, before giving up a tremendous number of goals in the first two games and then getting benched again. We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him, but he really looked incredibly bad before that, to where people were calling for Eddie Lack. I'd have given him a C+ but for the last two weeks, that earns him the B-. 

Aside from those, there's a couple I would adjust the +/- on, but the argument could be made either way. 

I would note also, all of our defenseman outside of Butcher and Vatanen are C+ or lower. That sounds about right and that is what needs to be addressed most in the offseason. 

Would agree with some of the above...funny, I have Johansson as an INC too.  I thought Derlique was way off on how he described Palms' play this year, but I think he was in the ballpark on most of the others.  I thought Chris Ryan was too generous. 

I'd go B or B+ on KK, mostly because he did what he did with no safety net.  Guy was clearly not good early on, but was pretty much lights out when the team needed him most.  You can say he was a B-, but then he got the extra credit question right, so that brought his grade up. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd go B or B+ on KK, mostly because he did what he did with no safety net.  Guy was clearly not good early on, but was pretty much lights out when the team needed him most.  You can say he was a B-, but then he got the extra credit question right, so that brought his grade up. 

OK, I can agree with that. He went to the teacher and begged to do an extra book report for extra credit so that his parents didn't get mad at his grade. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 11:45 AM, mfitz804 said:

OK, I can agree with that. He went to the teacher and begged to do an extra book report for extra credit so that his parents didn't get mad at his grade. 

Shouldn't we all want to improve at what we do?