2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao God bless Calgary, this is awesome. fvck Carolina and their stupid little post-game circle jerks.  

Wow, I didn't know Lindholm was a Hurricane too.  I think the celebration is insanely stupid, but regardless, if someone did that to us and mocked the Devils celebration, I'd want to fvcking murder them.  Wouldn't surprise me if Lindholm gets his ass beat next time they play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Various sources are reporting that Auston Matthews has signed an extension in Toronto.  5-year deal with about $11.6AVV.  Over 90% of deal is signing bonuses and will be an UFA afterwards.

The bolded is absolutely ridiculous.  Hello lockout, here we come!

Also, great deal for the Matthews, the player.  High hit, short term.  UFA as a 26 year old.

Some GM out there is going to give him 15M x 7 at that point.  Don't see how the Leafs can keep him at that point with any hope of keeping the rest of their roster together.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Various sources are reporting that Auston Matthews has signed an extension in Toronto.  5-year deal with about $11.6AVV.  Over 90% of deal is signing bonuses and will be an UFA afterwards.

If Matthews gets $11.6m, is it overvaluing Taylor Hall to say he gets $10m? Maybe it is. 

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow, I didn't know Lindholm was a Hurricane too.  I think the celebration is insanely stupid, but regardless, if someone did that to us and mocked the Devils celebration, I'd want to fvcking murder them.  Wouldn't surprise me if Lindholm gets his ass beat next time they play.

I'd be more annoyed that the Devils were doing stupid celebrations to begin with lol

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The guy's truly a piece of sh!t.  And a sad one at that.

To be fair, it doesn't say he requested a trade. It is prob in the King's best interest to dump him while they can and he wants a shot at the playoffs before his time runs out. I don't see anything about this situation that would make him anymore of a piece of sh!t than he was before.

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If Matthews gets $11.6m, is it overvaluing Taylor Hall to say he gets $10m? Maybe it is. 

If Hall does love playing here and has little interest in going elsewhere, I honestly see him as an 8 x 9M kinda guy.  He wants a team built around him.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The fact that Lindholm is a former Hurricane makes it even better lol.

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

To be fair, it doesn't say he requested a trade. It is prob in the King's best interest to dump him while they can and he wants a shot at the playoffs before his time runs out. I don't see anything about this situation that would make him anymore of a piece of sh!t than he was before.

That may be true, but to me the simple fact that he asked for and got a NMC implies that he didn't want to go anywhere when initially signing with them, and now just 4 months later, with things not going the way he wants or planned, suddenly he's perfectly fine waiving the clause.  It just screams of his selfishness and me-first attitude.  He's not in it for the long haul or a team player.  Guy's only ever looked out for himself.  At this stage of his life/career it no one knew any better, we'd say, "yeah, 35 year old guy, never had a Cup, makes sense for him to waive his NMC and try to get one somewhere at the end of his career", but alas, we know who this guy really is.  I hope he ends up in Arizona.

28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Agreed. He’s still at the same piece of sh!t level. 

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That may be true, but to me the simple fact that he asked for and got a NMC implies that he didn't want to go anywhere when initially signing with them, and now just 4 months later, with things not going the way he wants or planned, suddenly he's perfectly fine waiving the clause.  It just screams of his selfishness and me-first attitude.  He's not in it for the long haul or a team player.  Guy's only ever looked out for himself.  At this stage of his life/career it no one knew any better, we'd say, "yeah, 35 year old guy, never had a Cup, makes sense for him to waive his NMC and try to get one somewhere at the end of his career", but alas, we know who this guy really is.  I hope he ends up in Arizona.

I doubt that if this was any other player in the exact same position you would have nearly this much issue with this.  He can still nix any deal he doesn't want as it is his right in the agreement he made with the Kings.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The fact that Lindholm is a former Hurricane makes it even better lol.

100%.  I thought it was pretty ballsy before I knew that.  Him being a former Cane is golden.  I still think there's a chance someone comes for his head the next time they match up.  Hell, if I was a Cane, I'd be gunning for him every shift.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Literally anyone who asks for a NMC is “only thinking about themselves”. In fact, negotiating your contract might be the only time it’s acceptable to be completely selfish. 

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I doubt that if this was any other player in the exact same position you would have nearly this much issue with this.  He can still nix any deal he doesn't want as it is his right in the agreement he made with the Kings.

Yes that's probably right, difference being most other players aren't pieces of sh!t.

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Literally anyone who asks for a NMC is “only thinking about themselves”. In fact, negotiating your contract might be the only time it’s acceptable to be completely selfish. 

For sure, but a NMC can be a pretty big hindrance to a team down the road.  Plus, that's taking it out of context.  In context, with us knowing the backstory and history of this guy, to me this is just another BS move.  

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

For sure, but a NMC can be a pretty big hindrance to a team down the road.  Plus, that's taking it out of context.  In context, with us knowing the backstory and history of this guy, to me this is just another BS move.  

Elias had a NMC on his 7-year contract he signed with the Devils in 2007.  Did you hate him too?

27 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

🤨No, he didn't sign a 15 year contract and leave after 2. 

Look at it from the perspective of the athlete as a person. Do you want some suit executive moving you and your family around the country at his will, or do you want to have some say in that decision? A NMC gives him the ability so say, "fvck you, I don't want to move my family to (insert crap city/geographical location)".

Edited by NJDevils1214

25 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Look at it from the perspective of the athlete as a person. Do you want some suit executive moving you and your family around the country at his will, or do you want to have some say in that decision? A NMC gives him the ability so say, "fvck you, I don't want to move my family to (insert crap city/geographical location)".

Oh I hear ya, I'm not knocking the concept of No-Move Clauses, I'm just knocking Kovy and his current, and past, track record. :)