Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I see him skate and make a few nice plays and that's about it.  You can say the same about Wood but he gets a pass while Bratt skates free because of where he was drafted?  Why the double standard about using Bratt's draft position to prop him up while I cannot use Zacha's draft position to be more critical of him?

Bratt has 4 points in 6 GP (and that’s after coming back from eating through a straw for weeks)

Wood has 5 points in 19 GP 

also, I haven’t really seen Wood make very many nice plays this season. He’s battling Mojo for the biggest disappointment on the team right now, imo  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt has 4 points in 6 GP (and that’s after coming back from eating through a straw for weeks)

also, I haven’t really seen Wood make very many nice plays this season. He’s battling Mojo for the biggest disappointment on the team right now, imo  

Wonderful.  Doesn't negate the fact that they are just alright players.

We really need to stop propping up mediocre to decent players as essential players.  I like Vatanen and I have always liked the trade for him.  However, he is another player who looks better than he is because we, as fans, have accepted mediocrity as being above average and been conditioned to accept less.  Realistically, Vatanen would be at best the #4 D-man on a contender.

This season has reminded me that the team is very much in a state of flux and not to get endeared to many of these guys.  We still have major issues in almost every single position and outside of 2-3 guys, we don't have any players I would consider to be "good."

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

No points in 10 for Wood.  None in 7 for Johansson.  Yeah, that's definitely hurting right now. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bratt is alright, but I just don't see the player that a lot of you are seeing.  I really do think that him being a 6th round pick is making people perceive his efforts and production as bigger than what they really are.

I think its not what he is now, but what he could be. He's been excellent with the puck, he's been feeding people amazing passes, he even forced Zacha to score twice. If he's doing that as a relatively inexperienced, young, 6th round pick, imagine what he could develop into.

I mean, how much time have we spent on this board saying "Zacha is young, don't give up on him". But a guy that's already pretty good at age 20, we shouldn't be optimistic about what may happen when HE matures?

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No points in 10 for Wood. 

How many goalies has he run over in that stretch?

Trick question, the answer is "all of them". 

• Like 1

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

I wonder how much of an impact missing all of training camp has had on Wood's season.

I would imagine not a whole lot.. but man, he's been awful.

I haven't noticed him playing any differently than last year. The difference is really just his lack of success on the score sheet. What do you say? Bad luck? How long does that hold out. These individual issues are quickly becoming a team wide issue and I don't know how long the morale holds up. RIP the NJD vs Everybody mentality.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I see him skate and make a few nice plays and that's about it.  You can say the same about Wood but he gets a pass while Bratt skates free because of where he was drafted?  Why the double standard about using Bratt's draft position to prop him up while I cannot use Zacha's draft position to be more critical of him?

Wood isn’t getting any pass, I just said the other day he needs to man up and start producing. I mean, if you don’t see that things happen when Bratt is on the ice, I can’t really help you. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Wonderful.  Doesn't negate the fact that they are just alright players.

We really need to stop propping up mediocre to decent players as essential players.  I like Vatanen and I have always liked the trade for him.  However, he is another player who looks better than he is because we, as fans, have accepted mediocrity as being above average and been conditioned to accept less.  Realistically, Vatanen would be at best the #4 D-man on a contender.

This season has reminded me that the team is very much in a state of flux and not to get endeared to many of these guys.  We still have major issues in almost every single position and outside of 2-3 guys, we don't have any players I would consider to be "good."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

One could include Zacha in the above comment.  Without them on the scoresheet, we have nooo scoring depth.

I guess if you were inclined to put a positive spin on things you could say that the team hasn't been... completely awful this year with most of the bottom-9 not contributing much.

If our guys (Wood, Zacha, Noesen, MarJo) start figuring their sh!t out we could conceivably make a push at some point.

40 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I guess if you were inclined to put a positive spin on things you could say that the team hasn't been... completely awful this year with most of the bottom-9 not contributing much.

If our guys (Wood, Zacha, Noesen, MarJo) start figuring their sh!t out we could conceivably make a push at some point.

I don't expect us to be as bad as we have been for the entire season. SOMEONE has to get going...

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't expect us to be as bad as we have been for the entire season. SOMEONE has to get going...

It's also fair to think to that we have 18m of cap space. And we're playing against teams who are up to the cap. So while it's no excuse to the disinterested play we've seen lately. It means the team could technically be a lot better if we'd spend some of that money on talent (there's not much to spend on but you know) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's also fair to think to that we have 18m of cap space. And we're playing against teams who are up to the cap. So while it's no excuse to the disinterested play we've seen lately. It means the team could technically be a lot better if we'd spend some of that money on talent (there's not much to spend on but you know) 

No question, I hate that we are that far below the cap.