Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He already did last year I think. After Bratt made it known how much it helped him. The team actually hired one for the players.

Oh wow, no kidding.  That's great news - very forward-thinking of the Devils too.

Hope it ends up paying dividends. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We've been over it, but Shero clearly wanted to evaluate what he had here this year, and see who will fit beyond 2018-19.  Q is one of those guys that, if he wants to be a part of the plan, had better start to show something soon.  Still young but not THAT young, and didn't do much with his first chance this year.  A guy like him is only going to get so many.  Like that Hynes is drilling that point home to select players. 

For sure, but I think, and like, how that seemed to be not just directed at Q, but the team as a whole rather.  Clearly Q is probably the best case example at the moment, as he's the one leaving the most to be desired, but I think his message was to the entire team, and basically a way of saying "pull your own weight, or their will be consequences". 

I am about 90% given up on Zacha being any sort of impact player.  I honestly do not see him improving at all at this point.  His previous 2 seasons his growth was little to nothing and this season it looks no different.  We see flashes of what could be with him, but he cannot even string more than 1-2 good shifts together let alone a couple of good games.  He has largely been invisible since the Washington game.

I really hope I am wrong.  I don't take any sort of joy or satisfaction to see him fail.  That would be cutting my nose off to spite my face.  I really really REALLY want him to succeed for the sake of the team.  However, at this point, I just do not see it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can we talk about how much the early part of this year's schedule fvcking blows?  Way too much time between games.

I feel like it's still the offseason.

Starting Thursday the season really kicks into high gear with us where we are playing pretty much every other day through the end of the year.  Just a weird early part of the schedule for us.

Meanwhile it feels like the Rangers already played 15 games lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Can we talk about how much the early part of this year's schedule fvcking blows?  Way too much time between games.

42 games in 87 days starting Thursday.  So it's going to change drastically and in very short order.

Ordinarily I'd be in full agreement (if anything I'd rather have those extra days much later in the schedule), but considering the situation with Bratt, Zajac and others, I don't mind this too too much. 

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am about 90% given up on Zacha being any sort of impact player.  I honestly do not see him improving at all at this point.  His previous 2 seasons his growth was little to nothing and this season it looks no different.  We see flashes of what could be with him, but he cannot even string more than 1-2 good shifts together let alone a couple of good games.  He has largely been invisible since the Washington game.

I really hope I am wrong.  I don't take any sort of joy or satisfaction to see him fail.  That would be cutting my nose off to spite my face.  I really really REALLY want him to succeed for the sake of the team.  However, at this point, I just do not see it.

I'm hopeful with any real concrete reason to be hopeful.  All I've really got is his age, and even that has a minor asterisk, as he's now started his third full NHL season.  Some guys do take time, no doubt, and of course I would love to see a 22 or 23-year-old Zacha suddenly putting it all together...it's just hard for me to have a ton of faith in it ever happening.  Not giving up on him...just feeling less hopeful in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And these afternoon games on the weekend suck too, imo. Guess it’s nice for people to take the kids, but I’m usually busy during the day. I like watching hockey at night. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And these afternoon games on the weekend suck too, imo. Guess it’s nice for people to take the kids, but I’m usually busy during the day. I like watching hockey at night. 

Yeah I don't mind the occasional one, but I agree I prefer them at night.  The only time I really like the afternoon games is at the end of the season, especially the playoffs when it coincides with horse racing/Derby season.

• Like 2

As someone who has a 10-year-old, I do like the matinee games...it's cool to watch the game during the afternoon and be able to hit a restaurant afterward, or have time to chill back at home after the game...and not have your kid starting to get a little tired by the third period (my daughter varies from game to game on this one...some days she's more tired than others as a night game rolls on).  It makes sense for the Devils to do it too, to try to tap a little harder into the family demographic. 

Prior to my daddy days, I did like the occasional matinee because it was fun to sometimes head over to a sports bar after a game, or have the evening free to hit the town.  Made for some full but fun days...especially if the Devils had won that day's game.

My only real beef with matinees is that they haven't been that great to the Devils over the years...but it's not like they've ever had a ton of them. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I don't mind the occasional one, but I agree I prefer them at night.  The only time I really like the afternoon games is at the end of the season, especially the playoffs when it coincides with horse racing/Derby season.

I hate afternoon games. Something about having a game start at 12 or 1 and then go for 3 hours feels like it eats a whole chunk of my day and then I sit around going...okay now what? I'm so used to coming home and hanging at night, that when I hang all afternoon I am bored all night and also not tired because I sat around all day. Also...NJ suck at 1PM games!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

When my daughter was little I always preferred taking her to the day games. Now that she’s older, staying up for night games isn’t an issue, but having multiple activities on the weekend sure is. A couple years ago a 12:00 Saturday game would have been amazing, now she’s busy and I have to drive her. 

But for little kids, yeah, it’s perfect. I feel like having zero day games like a couple seasons ago was a bad idea. But having this many is also bad. 4-5 during the season to allow for those with young kids would be great. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As someone who has a 10-year-old, I do like the matinee games...it's cool to watch the game during the afternoon and be able to hit a restaurant afterward, or have time to chill back at home after the game...and not have your kid starting to get a little tired by the third period (my daughter varies from game to game on this one...some days she's more tired than others as a night game rolls on).  It makes sense for the Devils to do it too, to try to tap a little harder into the family demographic. 

Prior to my daddy days, I did like the occasional matinee because it was fun to sometimes head over to a sports bar after a game, or have the evening free to hit the town.  Made for some full but fun days...especially if the Devils had won that day's game.

My only real beef with matinees is that they haven't been that great to the Devils over the years...but it's not like they've ever had a ton of them. 

You said what I was trying to say but way better. 

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

DVR the game and just don't check the score. If the team is on the road I never plan my day around watching the game. I dvr it and watch it when I get home or sometimes I get to it the next day. I don't find it hard to not check forums or the score if I haven't watched the game yet. 

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

DVR the game and just don't check the score. If the team is on the road I never plan my day around watching the game. I dvr it and watch it when I get home or sometimes I get to it the next day. I don't find it hard to not check forums or the score if I haven't watched the game yet. 

Yeah, I can't always do matinee games on the weekends with my daughter, depending on what she has going on...so I'll do the same...DVR and watch when we're both free, later in the day or in the evening.  Actually works out quite nicely...watch the game around 4:30-5:00, blow past commercials, maybe check out intermission highlights or an interview or two...feels a little bit weird to blow through a game so much more quickly, but definitely not a deal-breaker.  Also not the end of the world to be able to check out of a trainwreck loss in the making. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I can't always do matinee games on the weekends with my daughter, depending on what she has going on...so I'll do the same...DVR and watch when we're both free, later in the day or in the evening.  Actually works out quite nicely...watch the game around 4:30-5:00, blow past commercials, maybe check out intermission highlights or an interview or two...feels a little bit weird to blow through a game so much more quickly, but definitely not a deal-breaker.  Also not the end of the world to be able to check out of a trainwreck loss in the making. 

I do the DVR thing all the time. Usually even with night games. It's pretty easy for me to avoid the score, I just don't check it and I don't subscribe to any apps that send me score alerts. If I am not in the GDT posting, its usually because I am at least an hour behind everyone else. 

• Like 1