GDT: Devil's @ Sens 7:30, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

Great test tonight to see if and how they respond in a back to back situation.  REALLY hoping they are able to score some goals for Cory. If they don't, the guy will probably be pissed, and rightfully so.

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Would love to see Hall bury a couple and get on a little bit of a tear. 

I LITERALLY almost said at the end of my last post "Would love to see Hall get a hattrick of his own, or maybe a 4 point night". 😳

• Like 2

I agree with the two posts above re: Hall. Much apreesh on all of the assists, Taylor, but you need to get some goals. 

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

REALLY hoping they are able to score some goals for Cory. If they don't, the guy will probably be pissed, and rightfully so.

The entire concept is flawed. The fact that they "don't score for Cory" is chance, nothing more. Can you really argue that they try less hard for him? I haven't seen that. I think he recognizes that and while he may be pissed about his bad luck, he's certainly not going to be pissed at the team for not scoring. 

The team would have a better argument for him "not saving". 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with the two posts above re: Hall. Much apreesh on all of the assists, Taylor, but you need to get some goals. 

The entire concept is flawed. The fact that they "don't score for Cory" is chance, nothing more. Can you really argue that they try less hard for him? I haven't seen that. I think he recognizes that and while he may be pissed about his bad luck, he's certainly not going to be pissed at the team for not scoring. 

The team would have a better argument for him "not saving". 

Oh I agree with you, I don't think for a second they "don't try as hard" for Cory.  Any player that plays favorites and tries less for any other particular player isn't a very good teammate if you ask me.  But stats don't lie, and the simple fact is that Cory doesn't tend to get a whole lot of goal support.  Again, not saying this is intentional at all, but it's true.  And in regards to him being pissed, I didn't mean that he'd be pissed at his teammates per se, just pissed at the situation in general.  Basically like the guy can't catch a break, that's all.  I mean, there was a pretty good chance that he and KK were going to each get a game between last night and tonight since it was a back to back scenario, and as luck would have it, the game Cory doesn't play, we score 5 goals.  Go figure.  

44 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

But stats don't lie, and the simple fact is that Cory doesn't tend to get a whole lot of goal support.  

I tried to find actual stats to examine the issue, where are you finding the stats for "Goals For" for an individual goalie? I'm only finding the team stat. 

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Would love to see Hall bury a couple and get on a little bit of a tear. 

As far as that goes, this is all small-sample sh!t, but on the surface, you see 40 SOG in 12 GP and figure that's right where Hall should be.  Also easy to see Hall's 5.0 shooting% and assume there's no way that will continue (and for sure, it won't).  And Hall actually got off to a similar start last season...in his first 9 GP, he'd scored just one goal and put up a 3.7 shooting%.  From that point on, he never went more than four games without scoring (and the four-game drought happened only once).

The one thing that's been different this season is that early on last year, Hall was getting good looks, but wasn't finishing...just when I was starting to wonder if lack of finish was a real flaw in Hall's game, he went on a tear that pretty much lasted the rest of the season (38 goals in his next 67 GP, 15.1 shooting%).  The main difference I see this year is that he doesn't seem to be getting many great opportunities...his shots don't seem to be as dangerous, and something just seems a little bit off.  But it's nice to have a guy who still has 14 points in 12 games and feel like he hasn't really gotten locked in yet. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That statement warranted repeating. 

Hopefully fans are willing to consider that last season might very well have been Taylor's career year too...he was on an 100-point pace over 82 GP (42 G and 58 A per 82 GP paces).  He very well may never match that pace again...but he could still flirt with 30+ goals and a point-per-game pace (and rack up some nice assist totals), have his share of dirty/clutch goals and extended "What would the Devils do without him?" kinds of runs, and just in general be that guy that you're so glad is on YOUR team.  It's easy to use a career year as a benchmark, and constantly compare everything a guy does afterwards to that one year.  Hopefully fans don't do too much of that with Hall, and aren't always looking for just a little more than what he gives you. 

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hopefully fans are willing to consider that last season might very well have been Taylor's career year too...he was on an 100-point pace over 82 GP (42 G and 58 A per 82 GP paces).  He very well may never match that pace again...but he could still flirt with 30+ goals and a point-per-game pace (and rack up some nice assist totals), have his share of dirty/clutch goals and extended "What would the Devils do without him?" kinds of runs, and just in general be that guy that you're so glad is on YOUR team. 

Is that your gut being an ass again??

;)

right now Hall is on pace for 96 pts, 14 goals. Palms is on pace for 103pts, 64 goals and Hischier is on pace for 69 pts, 21 goals. 

Small sample size is always giving weird results lol Hischier is the only one that i feel is what we can expect

Edited by SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Small sample size is always giving weird results lol Hischier is the only one that i feel is what we can expect

Agreed. There is no way Taylor Hall scores only 14 goals and also has 82 assists. And if he does, I am totally OK with that. 

Palmieri, obviously, not gonna happen either. Unless Taylor Hall has 82 assists, then I guess its possible lol. He'll hit his usual streak of 20-25 games with like 5 goals and it'll normalize. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Is that your gut being an ass again??

;)

Heh heh, more just hoping if Hall has, say, 60-65 points as he's closing in on 70 GP, that people aren't knocking him or assuming that he's become complacent, or calling him disappointing...or constantly comparing him to the 2017-18 Hall.  Not many guys putting up 100-point pace seasons year in and year out these days.  Elias put up 96 points in 2000-01 (age 24) and Parise put up 94 (also age 24) in 2008-09.  Neither really came close to those totals again. 

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, more just hoping if Hall has, say, 60-65 points as he's closing in on 70 GP, that people aren't knocking him or assuming that he's become complacent, or calling him disappointing...or constantly comparing him to the 2017-18 Hall.  Not many guys putting up 100-point pace seasons year in and year out these days.  Elias put up 96 points in 2000-01 (age 24) and Parise put up 94 (also age 24) in 2008-09.  Neither really came close to those totals again. 

I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong, I just didn't want to hear it lol. 

• Haha 1