2/22 Caps and Mister 699 goals vs Devils 1PM

DevilMinder

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

How were they a bust? Nico is looking better and better all the time, and Jack is still a baby...

I think you’re misunderstanding, sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. The kids are great and I thought I implied that in my previous post. The Devils losing would show the contrary, that they aren’t game breakers, play drivers, etc. A team in the bottom of the standings indicates that the players stink. Good players win games. 

52 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah im a bit conflicted here. I certainly enjoy wins and im thrilled for the guys but keeping the big picture in mind... we're also moving away from our best odds at getting a franchise changing player too. Though we could very well get one further down

But i mean... would the Pens or Caps trade getting Lemieux, Crosby or Ovechkin for a "good stretch late in the season to boost their moral" the year before? Are the Pens becoming this succesful with a younger group who learned how to win down a 20 games stretch with Bobby Ryan instead of Crosby you know? lol so i find the whole "they need to learn how to win" thing a bit insignificant when you look at it that way. Also games like this is the reason we got Zacha and not Marner.

But that's just me, its obviously not a bad thing to win. I guess it helps both ways cause if we win then good, and if we lose then good. 

it's just a very conflicting situation

I think it's because at this point we are stripped down essentially to the core of what is to be the future of this team. And if they can't show that they are at least capable of winning some games then maybe they shouldn't be your core. 

I think it is at least becoming clearer by the game that Blackwood is legit. Get his some help next year from a 1B vet type fit and the team should at least be set in one department. 

In terms of getting Lafreniere our odd shift by about 0.75% per per spot. We are not catching Detroit for last , no one is and LA is dropping off. To significantly improve our chances we have got to finish third last. 

I agree it's a conflicting situation. 

(Interestingly out current draft odds have us most likely picking at 7th. Even though we are 6th. I don't know how they works) 

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

45 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Actually that's really not true. What got us in this position is years of going all out trying to win no matter what, no matter how low our chances at a cup was and not making decisions based on what was best for the the future of the team, re-stocking with picks and bet on our youngsters.

An aging bubble team no getting the best picks, not getting a return on walking UFAs and aging vets losing all their values and not giving much chances to our young guys was the problem.

That's why we got to the point where we were the oldest team in the league and absolutely no prospects or core to build around. And that's why it's taking thiiiiis long to rebuild cause we started from almost nothing. And why we need to hit on the best possible talent every year through draft to restock

It's precisely that "we must win now no matter what" mentality that got us there.

This isn’t “win now no matter what” this is “let’s show some kind of progress here and not play to be the worst team in the league. 

Lou’s been gone 4 plus years. Find a new scapegoat

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think it's because at this point we are stripped down essentially to the core of what is to be the future of this team. And if they can't show that they are at least capable of winning some games then maybe they shouldn't be your core. 

I think it is at least becoming clearer by the game that Blackwood is legit. Get his some help next year from a 1B vet type fit and the team should at least be set in one department. 

In terms of getting Lafreniere our odd shift by about 0.75% per per spot. We are not catching Detroit for last , no one is and LA is dropping off. To significantly improve our chances we have got to finish third last. 

I agree it's a conflicting situation. 

(Interestingly out current draft odds have us most likely picking at 7th. Even though we are 6th. I don't know how they works) 

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

yup at least feeling like we have a legit and young goaltender is incredibly encouraing. Then our centers situation, it's still up in the air if we have a true #1 center ala Toews, crosby, getzlaf or wtv... but at least we have 2 players with that potential, which is better than nothing.

As for our D that's where it's a bit discouraging. We better pray to the hockey gods that Smith do develop into a top 2... cause we really really need to work on that D corp.

Also i'd just as pumped getting Byfield than getting Lafrenniere... since byfield is about a year younger... to me they are the top 2 then there's a sliiight drop in talent but this top 10 is solid. 

4 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

This isn’t “win now no matter what” this is “let’s show some kind of progress here and not play to be the worst team in the league. 

Lou’s been gone 4 plus years. Find a new scapegoat

It's not about Lou it's about the mentality. Many here have the same mentality that would have led to the same results if they would be GM

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It's precisely that "we must win now no matter what" mentality that got us there.

The "lose and lose and lose until we win" mentality is no better nor is it proven. Its based on a lot of luck. The win at all costs mentality got us about 25 years of competitive teams. 

no matter how low our chances at a cup was

Also, not going for it because you have "low chances" is a terrible attitude to have in a league where the winner is never set in stone. This isn't the NBA. We all saw St Louis last year. Chicago was 3rd in their division in 2015. When LA beat us in 2012, they were a 8 seed and we were the 6th seed in the East.

We spent 4 of the last 5 seasons tanking and worrying about the draft lottery. Whatever we get this year will complement what we already have nicely no matter where the pick is. There's no need to try to increase the odds anymore

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The "lose and lose and lose until we win" mentality is no better nor is it proven. Its based on a lot of luck. The win at all costs mentality got us about 25 years of competitive teams. 

I never said I wanted the team to lose on purpose or that it should be the goal. All i said is that i was conflicted cause right now winning is potentially not helping the long-term of this team as much as getting a top player could.

Dealing in extremes is never good either. It doesn't have to be "win at all cost" or "lose on purpose until we win".

The disconect i personally have with some people here and past management is that it's like it has to be black and white. Win at all cost. If you have even a 0.05 chances to the cup.. there's a chance! Let's go and fvck it even if it's impacting our future negatively!"

It doesn't have to be a position where you deal out of fear either and just never take a chance if you don't feel like an ultimate contender and rather lose until you land the golden goose either

All i ever wanted and i just can't understand why not everyone would want this to just being able to sit and make the right decision based on the situation when a choice has to be made with players, really go over the situation, assess the pros and cons and come to an educated decision once you gather all the infos you need to form a decision rather than just make a blind choice based on the direction you wanted all along. I just don't think it's smart.

Just like in politics... people don't make an opinion on something or a decision based on common sense. They make it based on if that thing fits the side they decided to stand on. Which is problematic.

And we won for 25 cause we were able to put a solid core together, then we were able to ride that wave for decades surrounding that core. Just like the Red Wings did. We don't have that core yet.

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I never said I wanted the team to lose on purpose or that it should be the goal. All i said is that i was conflicted cause right now winning is potentially not helping the long-term of this team as much as getting a top player could.

But we don’t necessarily have to win the lottery to get a top player. Look at Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Elias Pettersson, etc. 

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But we don’t necessarily have to win the lottery to get a top player. Look at Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Elias Pettersson, etc. 

Of course not and I did mention that somewhere earlier a few times. We may land the next pastrnak with our 3rd first round pick say we don't trade it, who knows.

My point was simply that we need to rebuild through the draft and the best position were in for that, the best odds are being able to pick the right player is greater for us.

I also never encourage the team to lose or tank lol

All i did was challenge the claim or notion that it's more important for the long-term of the team that the players "learn how to win" within this specific window of games until the end of a lost season than getting the best odds at getting the best possible impact player to join the team.

We're a sh!t team lacking skills and impact players. What we need is more skills. You don't win cups "learning how to win through a season with a mediocre group" lol You win by putting the right group together. I mean come on lol

I mean i don't want to use hindsight 20/20 here cause it's too easy to just pick a specific situation that fits your narrative. But how many teams who landed the "right player" would trade getting that player for getting an extra 4-5 wins the previous season? But obviously you can be lucky and get a better results say you end up picking a few position further and in hindsight that player end up better than the one you would have picked if you had a better pick, who fvcking knows lol 

All we can hope for is getting the best odds at making the best possible decision for the team

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Of course not and I did mention that somewhere earlier a few times. We may land the next pastrnak with our 3rd first round pick say we don't trade it, who knows.

My point was simply that we need to rebuild through the draft and the best position were in for that, the best odds are being able to pick the right player is greater for us.

I also never encourage the team to lose or tank lol

All i did was challenge the claim or notion that it's more important for the long-term of the team that the players "learn how to win" within this specific window of games until the end of a lost season than getting the best odds at getting the best possible impact player to join the team.

We're a sh!t team lacking skills and impact players. What we need is more skills. You don't win cups "learning how to win through a season with a mediocre group" lol You win by putting the right group together. I mean come on lol 

Edmonton has two of the best players in the world, and had 4 #1OA picks and they have accomplished absolutely nothing as of yet. Maybe they haven’t learned how to win yet...

At some point I do think non-stop losing is damaging. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Edmonton has two of the best players in the world, and had 4 #1OA picks and they have accomplished absolutely nothing as of yet. Maybe they haven’t learned how to win yet...

At some point I do think non-stop losing is damaging. 

For sure but that's also nitpicking one example that fits the narrative. I could bring up that the 2 most successful teams in the last 10 years were the Pens and the Blackhawks, which were a product of landing the right players at the right time.

but like i said IMO every situations should be looked at for pros and cons etc etc

in THIS situation for a team lacking sooo much skilled impact players and that isn't a top destination for UFAs. Which is a lost season before what is said to be the best draft in a long time. We'd be better off getting the best possible players vs being happy about an extra 6-7 points in the standings.

I mean it's a catch 22... so many fans are sick of losing and keep whining about the players we have and that our GM isn't able to get us better players and that we need more skills... but then they turn their back on what has the biggest chance of helping that situation... for the satisfaction of winning a few extra irrelevant games. 

But wtv im not mad if the guys are winning obviously. Just like last year i wanted them to get in the best position and below LA but turns out being in that position won us the lottery, so you never know obviously.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Dealing in extremes is never good either. It doesn't have to be "win at all cost" or "lose on purpose until we win".

The disconect i personally have with some people here and past management is that it's like it has to be black and white. Win at all cost. If you have even a 0.05 chances to the cup.. there's a chance! Let's go and fvck it even if it's impacting our future negatively!"

It doesn't have to be a position where you deal out of fear either and just never take a chance if you don't feel like an ultimate contender and rather lose until you land the golden goose either

All i ever wanted and i just can't understand why not everyone would want this to just being able to sit and make the right decision based on the situation when a choice has to be made with players, really go over the situation, assess the pros and cons and come to an educated decision once you gather all the infos you need to form a decision rather than just make a blind choice based on the direction you wanted all along. I just don't think it's smart.

Just like in politics... people don't make an opinion on something or a decision based on common sense. They make it based on if that thing fits the side they decided to stand on. Which is problematic.

And we won for 25 cause we were able to put a solid core together, then we were able to ride that wave for decades surrounding that core. Just like the Red Wings did. We don't have that core yet.

But how are you conflicted? If you are confident that the farm system was improved over the last 5 years, then why is the team finally putting together some wins and decent performances such a negative impact on the future? Is finishing with the 8th pick instead of the 5th really that bad? 

It just makes no sense to me to hem and haw after every win because we might drop a spot. 

7 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

But how are you conflicted? If you are confident that the farm system was improved over the last 5 years, then why is the team finally putting together some wins and decent performances such a negative impact on the future? Is finishing with the 8th pick instead of the 5th really that bad? 

It just makes no sense to me to hem and haw after every win because we might drop a spot. 

dude im not here saying we need to lose or saying winning is bad. There's also no need for me to say the same thing all over again i said everything there was to say about it. If you're still curious and wanna know then re-read my posts. It's incredibly basic, the more we win, the less odds we get at the best player we could add to the team. That's it. And it's conflicting cause i want to see the team win, but i also know we need to add major talent.

and as for the the bolded... who knows, it could. thats exactly the gap that got us Zacha instead of Marner for example. But like i mentioned before that's cherry picking in hindsight.

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

dude im not here saying we need to lose or saying winning is bad. There's also no need for me to say the same thing all over again i said everything there was to say about it. If you're still curious and wanna know then re-read my posts. It's incredibly basic, the more we win, the less odds we get at the best player we could add to the team. That's it. And it's conflicting cause i want to see the team win, but i also know we need to add major talent.

and as for the the bolded... who knows, it could. thats exactly the gap that got us Zacha instead of Marner for example. But like i mentioned before that's cherry picking in hindsight.

Think of it this way... Maybe we miss on a Zacha and land a Barzal :rolling:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Think of it this way... Maybe we miss on a Zacha and land a Barzal :rolling:

oh i know i did mention that earlier too. Some team got better players by being lower. There's so much luck involved.

But all you can really do and have control on is where you'll endup and depending on where it is your odds are simply better. So if i had to pick i'd rather be lower when it's such a strong draft with top talent. But i'm happy to see Blackwood having so much success obviosuly. Which is what is conflicting to me

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nothing annoys me more than kissing the ass of another franchise/player. I would have NJ Devil put that net on fire and throw out the ashes.

Hell yeah. Besides, do players even keep the net for stuff like that? I can see the puck, but isn't keeping the net like a goalie thing?

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

lol this is just a sad post.

Are you sticking to some sort of new years resolution to be nicer to others? You've said stuff in the past that makes my post look like child's play lol

Why do we have to kiss Ovi's ass more than we already have? Just send him the dumb net and keep it to yourselves. Posting a stupid video to kiss his ass some more to get some social media likes is way more sad to me. 

Edited by Satans Hockey