New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

God knows when the season will start, but I’m ready to start talking about it. Here are some talking points. 

1. Hughes: What are our expectations for Jack in his second season?

2. Palmieri: Will he be re-signed or will he be elsewhere by February?

3. Youth: Who do we expect to see on the big club. Ty Smith? How about Nolan Foote? Is this the year to bring a bunch of these guys up to see what they’ve got to offer?

4. Captaincy: Besides “yo momma”, who gets the C? Is Nico a foregone conclusion?

Those and a billion other things. 

• Like 1

Well, as Ruff seems to like a high octane offense I'm expecting to see more from all the forwards. The D still looks a mess on paper so, as it stands, I'm not expecting anything above what we saw last season. I don't think the goalie tandem will change. We all know who the #1 is and I expect Schneider to be the very expensive back up for a final season. It makes more sense to buy him out then rather than pay his buyout cost plus another goalie this season on what, in all likelihood, won't be a very competitive team.

Of course a lot of this depends on what free agents get signed or what trades are made. There are several teams up against the cap who are going to have to either not re-sign players or actively trade players to fit others under the cap. I'm pretty sure Fitz can exploit that second category and take on an bad contract for a couple of seasons and get some good younger players/prospects for doing so. As for free agents there could be some good value out there with the cap not increasing but I hope they don't overpay just because they have the cap space.

And lastly, the assistant coaches. I would be very happy if they all went. Time for a change imo. 

Nico gets my vote for the C.

Palmieri to be re-signed.

Hughes to be much better.

Zacha to be Zacha. 

• Like 2

I think Palms gets re-signed for sure...partly because he loves it here (being a Devil and living in NJ), and partly because the Devils have the cap space to give him a raise.  Not saying that his next contact will be as cost-effective as his current deal, but I think he stays.

Yeah, Nico will get the C.  Just hope that this year doesn’t follow the same “show improvement, get hurt, fall back a little” pattern of his last two seasons.  And I’m a big Nico fan.

Man I hope Ty Smith reminds us all why we were so hopeful with him.

And I think Hughes will be a lot better in 2020-21.

• Like 2

I think Palms will sign. What I’m more interested in is what happens with Gusev. After he got over his initial rough start and adjusted to the NHL he was probably the best player on the team. I’d hate to lose him. He might not fit the “timeline” perfectly, but neither does Palms. And Fitz has come right out and said you can’t have a team full of all kids. I’d love to get him extended, but my gut tells me he’ll probably end up getting moved to a playoff team at the deadline. 

As for Hughes? He’ll look much better. Kakko and Dach both did after the long layoff, and we saw Nico put on weight and muscle after his first season. Jack will have had even more time to bulk up a little. I also think he’s a super competitive kid (remember how snarky he got with reporters a couple times?) so there’s probably nobody more upset with how his rookie season went than him. The talent is obviously there, if he puts in the work he’ll get better.

The C is a no brainer to me, give it to Nico and don’t think twice. Even if Palms re-signs I still think Nico should get it. We know he wants to step up and lead this team after Hall left, and he’d make a great face of the franchise. 

Ty Smith will probably be the only youngster to make the team next season. And boy do we need that to absolutely happen. Bing should be pretty stacked. A lot of these kids are probably close, but just not quite ready. The only player at #7 I could see making the jump directly to the NHL is Rossi, but I doubt he’s there. 

• Like 2

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

After giving it some time, I definitely have more faith in Ruff than I did when it was first announced. It would be awesome if many of the young guys took a step forward under the new staff-- not that I'm pushing for Hynes to look worse but I wonder if any of it was his approach. 

I definitely overreacted (negatively) to the hiring. We should have known we weren’t landing one hot names like Gallant. At least we got a bonafide NHL coach who’s had some success. Feels like an eternity since we’ve even had that. 

There's a feeling that too long a break has clouded our minds, and we've all forgotten how hard the devils svck. Let's not make the mistake of last season and not expect a lot of growth immediately. I am quite happy with Ruff's hire, but at this point he has not received the material to help Nico and Jack, it is not clear who will win the battles at the boards. And how we will play defense in General.

I expect 35-50 points from Jack, depending on whether they find him a partner capable of scoring and pushing. I trully belive Palms will or will not sign new deal depending on how the next draft goes. 

I'm not a fan of forcing the development of young players. Let them start the season in the AHL. Stay away from Hayden and Rooney will be enough. I wanna give Mcleod, Bastian and Anderson full shot. Although we have space in defense for rookies more than seats on stadium in the playoffs right now.

Nico  should be our captain or Travis for one year.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

Yeah i think it's important to have lower expectations. Next year is still a transition year and not a "we must not make the playoffs cause it's been x amount of time we didn't."

We need to see growth and creating a strong young core for the future when we'll be ready to contend

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i think it's important to have lower expectations. Next year is still a transition year and not a "we must not make the playoffs cause it's been x amount of time we didn't."

We need to see growth and creating a strong young core for the future when we'll be ready to contend

That’s why I wonder if we’ll see more prospects coming through town. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s why I wonder if we’ll see more prospects coming through town. 

because of the mentality and craving success of the fanbase i think maaaany of them will suffer from too high of expectations.

Like right now everyone wants Ty Smith to absolutely make the team... that's one thing to make the team... to become a solid dman in the NHL is another thing.

Many were thrilled with Butcher, a very young promising dman... CHOOSE to come here. And fans are still sh!tting on him

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

because of the mentality and craving success of the fanbase i think maaaany of them will suffer from too high of expectations.

Like right now everyone wants Ty Smith to absolutely make the team... that's one thing to make the team... to become a solid dman in the NHL is another thing.

Many were thrilled with Butcher, a very young promising dman... CHOOSE to come here. And fans are still sh!tting on him

I am not worried about fan expectations. At some point, these guys have to come up or they never will. If Ty Smith doesn’t make this team this year, that does not bode well for his career. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I am not worried about fan expectations. At some point, these guys have to come up or they never will. If Ty Smith doesn’t make this team this year, that does not bode well for his career. 

I think he’ll probably make the team, how he plays is another thing...

It kind of sucks he couldn’t play in the AHL last season. I’m not sure he gained much from completely dominating the WHL. 

Edited by Nicomo

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Mmmm why is that? Dman can take awhile to develop.

This season there was only 2 dmen from the 2019 draft who played in the NHL... 6 from the 2018 draft class (Ty Smith class.. and 2 of them played less than 10 games)... and 10 from the 2017 draft... 3 who played less than 10 games... all of that to say we need to be patient, this is normal

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Mmmm why is that? Dman can take awhile to develop.

This season there was only 2 dmen from the 2019 draft who played in the NHL... 6 from the 2018 draft class (Ty Smith class.. and 2 of them played less than 10 games)... and 10 from the 2017 draft... 3 who played less than 10 games... all of that to say we need to be patient, this is normal

Because he’s competing against absolute sh!t, that’s why. 

12 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I have a feeling Foote will make the roster. 

Now that would be surprising. How long has it been since he’s even played in a game? I know he got injured right around the time we traded for him. Maybe even before that.