The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

28 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Figured make a thread just for the off-season area, especially with the draft and free agency this week.

kinda hope we go for it since it would probably take a mid level pick and he still can score.

This is exactly what I was talking about yesterday. Tampa is not trading Sergachev. 

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Still gonna have to move someone else too, though

Probably Killorn. I guess Cernak is also a possibility. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Some chatter out there that Hall is willing to sign a one-year deal with a contender (read:  Colorado).  Not like he has much choice, given the balance of his last two seasons (injured much of 2018-19, kinda meh in 2019-20), and the current environment.  He pretty much has to bet on himself at this point.

• Like 1

just read that Taylor Hall would be willing to sign a one-year deal with a team who could win the cup.

I've been saying it for awhile he will end up in colorado.

If im taylor and after being sooooo affected and sucking for so long and not making it far into the playoffs. Well if that's SO important to you. sign a cheap ass deal with a top team and go for it. Then at least you can't blame yourself for not doing everything to put yourself in the best position to win

Sounds like Pietrangelo won't explore the market too much if he does. From everything im seeing it's either staying in St-Louis... Vegas or Toronto. 

Looking forward to see the ever typical...

"Pietrangelo signs deal with ______"

Usual suspects on NJDevs:  "ughhhh, other teams are getting better while our GM is sitting on his hands not even trying to sign top players" 

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Usual suspects on NJDevs:  "ughhhh, other teams are getting better while our GM is sitting on his hands not even trying to sign top players" 

Exactly, our GM (whoever it is, Ray, Fitz, the next guy, etc.) never knows that you’re supposed to try to sign free agents. They’ve never heard of that concept. All these dudes just knocking down the door to play for us, all they need is a phone call... 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly, our GM (whoever it is, Ray, Fitz, the next guy, etc.) never knows that you’re supposed to try to sign free agents. They’ve never heard of that concept. All these dudes just knocking down the door to play for us, all they need is a phone call... 

we really should write him a letter, or send a telegraph, or carrier pigeon...

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

just read that Taylor Hall would be willing to sign a one-year deal with a team who could win the cup.

I've been saying it for awhile he will end up in colorado.

If im taylor and after being sooooo affected and sucking for so long and not making it far into the playoffs. Well if that's SO important to you. sign a cheap ass deal with a top team and go for it. Then at least you can't blame yourself for not doing everything to put yourself in the best position to win

Many others have been saying that too.  It's a pretty obvious fit.

Doesn't look like he has much of a choice anyway...the high-priced, long-term UFA deal is not going to be there for him this year.  Yeah, might as well jump on board and play for a team that's close...and then try to cash in next season.  

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I think Ray's plan (had he been given more time to carry it out) was to build it, so they ("they" being some of the higher-profile UFAs) would come once there was a good young talent base established...and due to not spending high on meh-ish UFAs for the sake of doing so, he would have had the money to do it...of course, if a guy like Tavares was super-bullish on playing for the Devils, I think Ray happily finds a way to sign him.  2017-18 made everyone (including ownership) less patient...as Ray's run looms further and further in the rear view, I think he was the only one willing to fully stay the course.  Not saying that he was 100% right...he definitely stuck with Hynes too long, and his patience in trying to build the way he believed would eventually pay off wound up coming across as "Oh well, guess it's not happening again this season...PUNT!" (even though he rightly recognized there was no quick fix solutions, especially with the farm still not sufficiently stocked yet).  Acquiring Subban feels like a compromise move between ownership and Ray...I still wonder if he really wanted to make that deal.

But anyway, Fitz is in the same boat...Devils still have to build it, and maybe then if there's a higher-profile UFA or two that makes sense, Fitz has a real shot at signing him.  But for now, I still think it's finding young bodies from within, and making smart trades for helpful, cost-controlled pieces.       

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If Johnson is agreeing to be moved that’s bad for having a chance at Sergachev. Would much rather have the latter. 

When you have a player like Sergachev you make room. The chances Tampa would be willing to move him, especially with whatever NJ could put together, are slim.

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

When you have a player like Sergachev you make room. The chances Tampa would be willing to move him, especially with whatever NJ could put together, are slim.

We’ll see. NJ absolutely has the draft capital to get it done if they are shopping him though. 

"… But their salary increases, which are well deserved, are going to eat into our cap space. And we didn't have any cap space to start with."

BriseBois on signing his RFA’s. Look, he’s obviously going to do everything possible to not have to move Sergachev, but I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities that some of you are suggesting. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/lightning-free-agency-offseason-priority/c-319268154

We have so much cap space and, let's be honest, we're a hell of a lot more attractive place to play than Buffalo or Ottawa.

What does make me anxious is like death and taxes, someone is always going to bail out the Rangers (thanks this time, Detroit) and while they have their own RFAs to worry about, they have the draw of "big market"  or whatever you want to call it.

I just want us to add pieces so we have hope. I'm not dilusional that we'll be a cup contender, but man I'd love to go into next year like we did this season thinking "hey, they could make the playoffs"

Also: Gamma AND Delta lining up the Gulf coast... thanks, 2020....

Edited by jagknife

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I just want us to add pieces so we have hope. I'm not dilusional that we'll be a cup contender, but man I'd love to go into next year like we did this season thinking "hey, they could make the playoffs"

For me, its not just about hope. You need to start showing people that New Jersey is a serious organization. Build a culture of winning. Make New Jersey a destination people want to go to again. I mentioned the other day that any city is a good place to raise kids when you have money. I was saying it somewhat tongue in cheek, but for the most part, every NHL city probably has its expensive suburbs where the players live and raise their families. No matter how many times people on this board say "New Jersey is a great place to raise a family", that's never going to get people here. It could, though, help make them want to stay once they are here. 

If you want to get people to want to come here, or to stay here, easy access to pork roll will not be enough. You have to look like you want to win. Saying "we have the best under 22 players in the whole league" is great, hopefully one day some of them will pan out. 

Passing over guys because they don't "fit our window" is perhaps one of the stupidest things I have ever heard on this board. Get a couple of those guys, have a couple of the young guys get going, and all of a sudden you have a huge fvcking window before you expected. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

For me, its not just about hope. You need to start showing people that New Jersey is a serious organization. Build a culture of winning. Make New Jersey a destination people want to go to again. I mentioned the other day that any city is a good place to raise kids when you have money. I was saying it somewhat tongue in cheek, but for the most part, every NHL city probably has its expensive suburbs where the players live and raise their families. No matter how many times people on this board say "New Jersey is a great place to raise a family", that's never going to get people here. It could, though, help make them want to stay once they are here. 

If you want to get people to want to come here, or to stay here, easy access to pork roll will not be enough. You have to look like you want to win. Saying "we have the best under 22 players in the whole league" is great, hopefully one day some of them will pan out. 

Passing over guys because they don't "fit our window" is perhaps one of the stupidest things I have ever heard on this board. Get a couple of those guys, have a couple of the young guys get going, and all of a sudden you have a huge fvcking window before you expected. 

I guess I didn't want to sound too greedy expecting us to start winning again, but I'm in agreement with you. It has to start happening. We can't just live on hopes and well-maybe-if-things-fall-the-right-way. We need guys to take that next step and not entirely rely on building within which I know it isn't what we've been doing but just saying.

I'm also really tired of seeing our leading scorers being 40 point guys.

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I guess I didn't want to sound too greedy expecting us to start winning again, but I'm in agreement with you. It has to start happening. We can't just live on hopes and well-maybe-if-things-fall-the-right-way. We need guys to take that next step and not entirely rely on building within which I know it isn't what we've been doing but just saying.

I'm also really tired of seeing our leading scorers being 40 point guys.

Definitely true. If you are OK with only building from within, you are resigned to being losers in the interim. And that's how your team will be viewed. 

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Wasn't sure where to post this

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would do that. 

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Besides the ability to add that 8th year but.. yeah I'm with you.  Unless it's like for a 7th round pick or something.

There's already talk of him taking a 1 year deal from a contender. Why would anyone be looking to trade for his rights to get the 8th year? And would he even sign that deal right now, knowing that the AAV would have to be pretty low considering the last two seasons?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There's already talk of him taking a 1 year deal from a contender. Why would anyone be looking to trade for his rights to get the 8th year? And would he even sign that deal right now, knowing that the AAV would have to be pretty low considering the last two seasons?

Totally with you, have no clue what the thought process is here.

Unless Hall figures 8 years at 6-7M is preferable to whatever he'd get if he waited.  But like you said, rumors are that he's looking at a one year deal.