The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

6 hours ago, sundstrom said:

i was going to - had a hughes in my cart and got distracted. now they're gone.

i don't love getting from NHL shop as they just iron it on and don't sew it. I'm ok to wait a little until one of the shops in Canada can get it and do a professional sew job.

also - i am legit thinking about taking the gamble and getting Holtz 88.

I haven’t bought a custom jersey from NHL Shop since the original Edge came out, but mine was definitely sewn on. Maybe they’ve changed since then? 

40 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I haven’t bought a custom jersey from NHL Shop since the original Edge came out, but mine was definitely sewn on. Maybe they’ve changed since then? 

Maybe. They have been using crap materials, like that plastic stuff they have in the arena, for a while now. At least that’s what I have received and subsequently returned. 

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe. They have been using crap materials, like that plastic stuff they have in the arena, for a while now. At least that’s what I have received and subsequently returned. 

I also forgot to mention my original Edge was made in Canada, so that would explain why the quality was better. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I also forgot to mention my original Edge was made in Canada, so that would explain why the quality was better. 

That only explains why the jersey is better, the customization they did was still inaccurate and for a time, was pretty poor quality as well. 

Since the Fanatics takeover, they don’t even try. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That only explains why the jersey is better, the customization they did was still inaccurate and for a time, was pretty poor quality as well. 

Since the Fanatics takeover, they don’t even try. 

Guess I got lucky. That jersey is like 13 years old and I’ve worn it a bunch. The stitching has held up fine. And the font on the name wasn’t wonky or anything. 

I can only go GI/GW for a Reverse Retro (they're kinda growing on me), but I would definitely have to move some other jerseys before I'd really consider it.  I'd also have to see how pricey they are.  Of course I'd probably go with Palms...and part of the reason for that is that his GW jerseys tend to be pretty fairly priced.  If not him, then possibly Bratt. 

Just doesn't seem like anyone's feeling much urgency right now.  I get that.  When you're an RFA you're pretty much at the mercy of your team anyway...I don't doubt these deals eventually get done though.

19 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

IMO the owners need to put it in the hands of the players, take our deal or we cancel the season. You have 48 hrs to give us your answer. Then we can all go on with our NHL hockey-less lives

I wouldn't argue with this. We'll probably never know what the financials really look like but it's hard to imagine a realistic scenario where most teams can operate in the green when they can't allow fans in the arena. It doesn't take a business degree to understand the concept of mitigating loss, and if that means keeping the doors closed that's what they'll do. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Guess I got lucky. That jersey is like 13 years old and I’ve worn it a bunch. The stitching has held up fine. And the font on the name wasn’t wonky or anything. 

13 years ago they were much better then they are now. The name may not be exactly right, but back then, yes, they were passable. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I can only go GI/GW for a Reverse Retro (they're kinda growing on me), but I would definitely have to move some other jerseys before I'd really consider it.  I'd also have to see how pricey they are.  Of course I'd probably go with Palms...and part of the reason for that is that his GW jerseys tend to be pretty fairly priced.  If not him, then possibly Bratt. 

Honestly, I have only been collecting goalie jerseys and I anticipate that being an expensive endeavor, as Meigray always charges a premium for goalies (I guess it makes sense since there's less of them). Look at the prices for Cory Schneider jerseys, they're exorbitant. I will be attempting to make that happen, but bought a cheap green one just in case it doesn't.

That said, and I stress this again, I haven't seen the cheapo yet and its very likely to wind up right back in the package to be returned. Or, if they start turning up at high prices because they are sold out, on eBay. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

You would have to go to either the game issued or game worn route then.

Yeah I know.... It sucks that the NHL and Adidas insist on selling a subpar product to the public. The NHL is the only league of the four North American majors where you can’t buy the jerseys the players wear on the field/court/ice. I don’t understand it.

Edited by MadDog2020

17 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He doesn't look healthy.....

And thats from someone who lost too much weight once and realized, "holy sh!t, I look waaaay freaking worse than usual...."

He had a heart attack a couple of years ago and almost died. He actually went vegan after that I think. I’m just glad he’s still with us, love that dude.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

He doesn't look healthy.....

And thats from someone who lost too much weight once and realized, "holy sh!t, I look waaaay freaking worse than usual...."

In fairness, he also didn’t look healthy before the weight loss, just in a different way. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

He had a heart attack a couple of years ago and almost died. He actually went vegan after that I think. I’m just glad he’s still with us, love that dude.

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, he also didn’t look healthy before the weight loss, just in a different way. 

In my Jack Nicholson as Col Nate Jessup voice, “Well don’t I feel like the fvcking a$$hole...”

my take was when I went from 200 lbs to 167ish in less than a year (maybe 6 months, I can’t remember)  I looked sickly...

Edited by jagknife

Multiple NHL Teams Exploring Hosting Multiple Outdoor Games

It was discussed on the Board of Governors call on Nov. 12. Afterwards, the league sent out a query to all 31 clubs inquiring what the level of interest was in either hosting outdoor games or taking part in them as a visiting team, sources confirm.

These are some of the teams I’ve been able to confirm as affirmative:

Boston Bruins: The Bruins answered yes to the NHL’s outdoor query and are indeed exploring the possibility of playing at Fenway Park, obviously depending on state and city guidelines. And we’re not just talking one outdoor game, the Bruins, I’m told, are exploring the idea of multiple games at Fenway. They want their fans watching live hockey.

Carolina Hurricanes: The Hurricanes have a football stadium across the parking lot from their arena. It’s a no-brainer for them and the club answered yes to the league. And I think the idea that the Canes have explored for a few months now is not just to play one game but a few and maybe even buy their own refrigeration system and not rely on the league’s outdoor game infrastructure.

Dallas Stars: Let’s put it this way, the Dallas Cowboys just had 30,000-plus at their Thanksgiving day game. So to nobody’s surprise, I can confirm the Stars answered yes to the league’s query. What a great venue to have an outdoor hockey game in. Heck, why just one?

Los Angeles Kings: The Kings were actually on this early, months ago telling the NHL of their idea to stage multiple games at an MLS stadium when county guidelines allow for fans to gather at outdoor venues. I think what the Kings have shared with the NHL is that they would begin the season with no fans inside Staples Center but once (if) the guidelines were loosened, they would play in front of 8,000 or so physically distanced fans for the final two months or so of the regular season. The Kings, I’m told, have also approached the nearby Ducks about playing outdoor games. But again, all this is really depending on when Southern California health authorities loosen up the guidelines for outdoor venues.

Nashville Predators: The Predators responded to the league that they would be willing to host an outdoor game if it made sense for the NHL and in fact would be willing to have multiple games and teams play out of it whether that’s in a traditional stadium or a unique setting.

Pittsburgh Penguins: As mentioned above, the Penguins have looked at the idea of maybe opening the first month or so of the season outdoors and buy some time before limited crowds can start gaining access to indoor games. There’s no guarantee that will happen this season at all, depending on the access and distribution of the vaccine over the coming year. But rest assured, the Penguins are thinking outside the box here.

I’m told Buffalo, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey and both New York teams are among the U.S.-based teams who answered no to the league, for various reasons.
https://theathletic.com/2237361/2020...shared-article

46 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good.  The outdoor game sucked.  The seating sucked, the game sucked, and freezing my ass off in temps in the lower to mid 20's sucked.  The only positive that came out of it was Marty embarrassing both himself and the team enough to make Lou realize he was finished.

As far as an outdoor game goes...you kinda know what you're getting.  It's more of a place to be/an event, than the ideal venue to watch a hockey game.  I don't mind watching outdoor games on TV (though I rarely do), but the idea of freezing my ass off to watch a game where it likely won't be easy to get a decent view of the action doesn't really appeal to me.  When I was younger (say 20s-mid 30s), I might have been more amenable to going once, just to see what it might be like.

I'm not going to beat up on Marty, but the White Knight treatment he rec'd that season was absurd.  Cory (despite being the vastly superior puck-stopper at that point) was treated like he had something to prove and needed to earn his franchise's respect.  The mutants were the worst...they went on and on about how the guy with the .901 save% and 2.51 GAA knew how to win, while the guy with the .921 save% and 1.97 GAA was this loser.

Part of the problem was that after a slow start in 2013-14 (Marty's final season with the Devils), he put together the last productive mini-burst of his career...his numbers at that point were respectable:  a .916% save% and 2.06 GAA.  That bought him just enough currency for him to keep getting chances at Cory's expense...the problem was from that point on (11/27), Marty put up an .893 save% and 2.77 GAA in 25 GP.  Cory played 35 games in that same timeframe and put up a .919 save% and 2.00 GAA...the GP split should have been MUCH more pronounced.  Cory was unconscious at times too...he put up a .944 save% in one 15-game stretch, and had a .952 save% over his final 8 games of that season.  It was sad, because it was clearly a case of a former great getting treatment that he no longer deserved.  

And yeah, at that point, Marty's comments were definitely getting hard to take.  Like many faded former stars, he could never differentiate between what was and what is.  Like I've always said, you'll forever trade those 2-3 cringey years for a H-O-F career full of special moments and championships.  Doesn't mean that Marty couldn't be a little prickly in his prime years at times of course.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good.  The outdoor game sucked.  The seating sucked, the game sucked, and freezing my ass off in temps in the lower to mid 20's sucked.  The only positive that came out of it was Marty embarrassing both himself and the team enough to make Lou realize he was finished.

I enjoyed the game and had a great time despite the result. 'twas cold though. But 24 games outside in the middle of winter....that'd be a no from me dog, unless all the home games were like Sat/Sun 1pm for the Sun...I'd probably want to go to 5-10 if that were the case. Could they get 5K/game socially distant at RBA? I think they could.

Be interesting if they did a neutral site for NYR/NJ at the Meadowlands or RBA. Lots of Rangers fans aren't schelpping into the city especially w/mass transit - and few are working in the city anyway.

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Shocking 1