The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He also was the Ducks' selection from us in the expansion, but most importantly he was the first Russian to sign for the franchise along with Fetisov.

Also was a fairly decorated member of the Russian National team before coming over, multiple time Olympian if I recall, including on the losing team in 1980 lol. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I have absolutely no idea who that is…

Was a huge deal at the time (1989-90)…Fetisov and Starikov (who wore #4) came over from the USSR first, and Starikov was so out of shape that he was soon banished to the AHL…Kasatonov would join later that season, but it was well known that Fetisov and Kasatonov were not on speaking terms at the time (due to hockey matters back home…you can look up what caused their estrangement, which has since been resolved).  Lou told them both that if their conflict ever became an issue in any way, he’d boot them both off the Devils.  Fortunately it never came to that.  Of the three, Kasatonov was the best one.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 hours ago, MB3 said:

Not that one statistic does it for me, but it's loooooooooong overdue that some of you fvckers put respect on Damon Severson's name. All he does is stay healthy, eat top-line minutes and look pretty darned good in the process. Some of you act like he's a traffic cone. 

Overall, Severson is a solid defender.  I think he gets more hate than he deserves.

However, he does have games where he is the worst D-man on the team.  I think the issue with him is that when he has off games he has REALLY off games.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Overall, Severson is a solid defender.  I think he gets more hate than he deserves.

However, he does have games where he is the worst D-man on the team.  I think the issue with him is that when he has off games he has REALLY off games.

Yeah I agree with this. He’s forced to play big minutes and he’s usually fine but his brain farts are massive, so they stick out. 

• Like 1

I actually recently traded a photo-matched 1990-91 Kasatonov game worn jersey to a guy in Russia.  Was hard to part with it but my memories of him were pretty vague compared to what I got in return.

I also sold a Larionov 03-04 preseason game worn jersey that I photomatched to a preseason game to the Rangers last year (used the funds to buy a Brodeur gamer).  Was a bit sad for me to part with gamers of 2 of the 5 members of the famous Russian Green Unit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

28 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah I agree with this. He’s forced to play big minutes and he’s usually fine but his brain farts are massive, so they stick out. 

I agree 100% with the above.  By virtue of having played on a bad team for much of his career, he's often been asked to do more than what he's truly capable of.  To date, on a team with more talent and depth, he probably would've had a better career than he's had here.

That being said, yeah, the bad games and what seems to be a general lack of evolution can be infuriating...it's not like he's just unfairly been targeted and criticized.  What's funny is that metrics have often been kind to Severson (part of the reason why some defend him no matter how bad he can look, or how many minuses he racks up), but the eye test has never really matched the metrics with him.  He's just never been very consistent, but as previously mentioned, bad teams (and often not great goaltending when he's on the ice) and having to do more than he should are factors.

We'll see if Severson can really be part of the solution going forward.  If he's being given more manageable minutes and situations and still making us crazy a little too often, ya gotta wonder if, despite what select numbers suggest, he's really all that good.  

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

@DevsMan84you're really gonna say you have a Brodeur gamer without posting pics??!? The fvck is wrong with you?!

Yeah I got it last year.  It is a 2011-12 white set 2.  It was only worn in the second period of the 2/19/2012 game in Montreal (he wore a different jersey in each period for that game) so it has light wear.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I actually recently traded a photo-matched 1990-91 Kasatonov game worn jersey to a guy in Russia.  Was hard to part with it but my memories of him were pretty vague compared to what I got in return.

I also sold a Larionov 03-04 preseason game worn jersey that I photomatched to a preseason game to the Rangers last year (used the funds to buy a Brodeur gamer).  Was a bit sad for me to part with gamers of 2 of the 5 members of the famous Russian Green Unit.

I don't think I could've given up the Kasatonov GW...that's just too sweet of a grab.  But I guess if the price was that good...

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think I could've given up the Kasatonov GW...that's just too sweet of a grab.  But I guess if the price was that good...

I would rather not say publicly what I got in return, but if I posted it, I would expect most, if not all, of the board to call me crazy.  Fact of the matter is I focus my collection on guys I like and remember and while Kassy is probably a bigger part of Devils and hockey history, the one I got in return I actually remember being on the Devils.  Plus the other way I look at it is that the guy I got in return is much harder to find a Devils gamer of than Kassy.

I have basically rid myself of the old 1982-1992 era Devils red white and green jerseys from my collection save 1 (Laurie Boschman 1991-92 white set 2 with the 10th and 75th patches that I have photomatched).  In the past 2-3 years I have sold from that era:

90-91 Kasatonov

88-89 Tom Kurvers Red set

91-92 Kevin Todd Red set 1 (with the 75th and 10th anniversary patches)

91-92 Doug Dadswell Utica Devils red

90-92 Kevin Dean Utica Devils white

82-93 Mike Moher red (I actually sold that to his stepson)

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would rather not say publicly what I got in return, but if I posted it, I would expect most, if not all, of the board to call me crazy.  Fact of the matter is I focus my collection on guys I like and remember and while Kassy is probably a bigger part of Devils and hockey history, the one I got in return I actually remember being on the Devils.  Plus the other way I look at it is that the guy I got in return is much harder to find a Devils gamer of than Kassy.

I have basically rid myself of the old 1982-1992 era Devils red white and green jerseys from my collection save 1 (Laurie Boschman 1991-92 white set 2 with the 10th and 75th patches that I have photomatched).  In the past 2-3 years I have sold from that era:

90-91 Kasatonov

88-89 Tom Kurvers Red set

91-92 Kevin Todd Red set 1 (with the 75th and 10th anniversary patches)

91-92 Doug Dadswell Utica Devils red

90-92 Kevin Dean Utica Devils white

82-93 Mike Moher red (I actually sold that to his stepson)

Yeah you sold me the Kurvers...love that one.

Yeah you were quite young when Kasatonov was playing...I was in my late teens (and in college), so I remember him very well, and what a big deal it was that the Russian players were allowed to start coming here, without having to defect (like Mogilny).  I wasn't knocking you for selling it (or trying to pry the price out of you)...I more meant that for ME personally, that it would be an awesome grab, one that I wouldn't be likely to give up.

Same, in terms of trying to snag players that I like (see Palms, heh heh), though there's been obvious exceptions here and there...that being said, I can handle a player who's obscure or didn't play a whole lot (like my "other" McMullen Nighter, #33 Auvitu, or my RR Bastian, who I was hoping would still be here, but oh well), as opposed to someone higher-profile, who I'm not a fan of.

If you ever decide to part with the Boschmann, let me know.  I'd be all over it.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah you sold me the Kurvers...love that one.

Yeah you were quite young when Kasatonov was playing...I was in my late teens (and in college), so I remember him very well, and what a big deal it was that the Russian players were allowed to start coming here, without having to defect (like Mogilny).  I wasn't knocking you for selling it (or trying to pry the price out of you)...I more meant that for ME personally, that it would be an awesome grab, one that I wouldn't be likely to give up.

Same, in terms of trying to snag players that I like (see Palms, heh heh), though there's been obvious exceptions here and there...that being said, I can handle a player who's obscure or didn't play a whole lot (like my "other" McMullen Nighter, #33 Auvitu, or my RR Bastian, who I was hoping would still be here, but oh well), as opposed to someone higher-profile, who I'm not a fan of.

If you ever decide to part with the Boschmann, let me know.  I'd be all over it.  

Oh yeah lol almost forgot about that.

That Boschman is my last 82-92 era gamer and I doubt I will part with it.  Plus they are worth their weight in gold as they are amongst the hardest sets to get.  I actually only parted with my Kevin Todd because I had the Boschman, but I sold the Todd to pay for my 99-00 photomatched patched Claude Lemieux white set 1.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not sure why but ok lol.

I think the implication was that the "return" might not have been money, heh heh.  I didn't read your post that way, but if someone did, I can see why they'd find it funny.  

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the implication was that the "return" might not have been money, heh heh.  I didn't read your post that way, but if someone did, I can see why they'd find it funny.  

Correct.   The post was fine, just my immaturity I guess.     

• Like 1