UPDATE 3/11/22 - Wood Practicing (Non-Contact) Again - Had Hip Surgery 11/8/21

RunninWithTheDevil

52 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you are going to be bold enough to do it, do it all the way.

Sometimes you just gotta say what the fvck. 

Heh heh yeah when he first showed up, people were asking "What are you supposed to be?"  When he answered, the response was "C'mon man, Joel didn't wear BOXERS!"  It was a mixer (with a sorority), so I think his fear was one of the bros would sneak up behind him and rip down his pants, and he wanted some kind of protection.  Considering how a couple of our bros would get when they were hammered, I could kinda-sorta understand the precaution. 

44 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Again, i get it but give me one legit good reason why you and I should/have to be given more details? 

Like i said, everyone that HAD to know (coaches, GM, players, family, etc) they knew, cause it was impacting them directly, not us.

I explained it...I don't think it's too much for a team to update the fans as to the status of an injury, as developments occur, or as things change...like I've said, it's not like this is unheard of...even if it's not good news, or contradicts what we were previously told, at least you get a general idea of how things are going.  Clearly some people don't agree (fine), or choose to try to pounce and make it sound like some fans think they're entitled to know every last thing about professional athletes (simply incorrect).  Like I said, I couldn't care less about players' (or celebs in general) private lives...who they're sleeping with, how extravagant their weddings are (or how brutal their divorces), etc...I will occasionally pick up a biography about someone who interests me, but mags like People (and the trashier versions of it)...that stuff just doesn't do a thing for me.  It is sometimes a lot of fun to hear the players share stories first-hand (on and off the ice), but I don't necessarily expect (or need) them to share that info with us. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, StarDew said:

No one has any right to know anyone's medical situation unless they want to give permission to. It is called HIPPA. If you don't like it well too bad. You have enough info..hip requires surgery. Instead worry more about his health.

lol that's not how HIPAA works.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

We don't have to know that guys like Rooney are nice guys, the the team tells us anyways.

We don't have to watch Ty Smith play video games on his off time, but the team shows us anyways.

We don't have to know (or want to know) what shoes Stein is wearing that day, but she shows us anyways.

On the other hand, we would like to know what is going on regarding a players status and a ballpark estimate for their return but that's a fvcking state secret.

The team treats its fans like children.

yeah, i'd like to know too personally. But i understand that i don't have to know

i have yet to hear about a "good" reason why fans should be given that information. Beyond that they "want" it.

Hey bud, i want $500. Can you just paypal that to me? thanks

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, StarDew said:

No one has any right to know anyone's medical situation unless they want to give permission to. It is called HIPPA. If you don't like it well too bad. You have enough info..hip requires surgery. Instead worry more about his health.

No one said that they weren't worried about his health...don't twist this around into something else.  It's quite possible to hope he'll fully recover (without saying it aloud), and wonder if the Devils could be a little more forthcoming with injury info.  It's not like every single injury in sports (and status updates) is given some automatic shroud of secrecy, and like I said SEVERAL times, I don't think those who were hoping for a little more info and/or updates from the Devils were looking for every last detail.        

3 minutes ago, StarDew said:

If an employer pays for the health insurance they fall under HIPAA.

lol no they don't.  Stop spouting off on something you have little to no clue about.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/499/am-i-a-covered-entity-under-hipaa/index.html

"Neither employers nor other group health plan sponsors are defined as covered entities under HIPAA."

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah, i'd like to know too personally. But i understand that i don't have to know

i have yet to hear about a "good" reason why fans should be given that information. Beyond that they "want" it.

Hey bud, i want $500. Can you just paypal that to me? thanks

Get out of here with that lmfao.  What an awful comparison lol.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MB3 said:

look who's back with another pearl-clutching post. didn't even spell HIPAA right but wants to lecture everyone about it. 

I have been correcting people on the HIPAA vs. HIPPA thing since it has come into effect. Very few people get it. HIPPA is like a female hippo, innit?

48 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol no they don't.  Stop spouting off on something you have little to no clue about.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/499/am-i-a-covered-entity-under-hipaa/index.html

"Neither employers nor other group health plan sponsors are defined as covered entities under HIPAA."

This is correct. The doctor would not be able to release Miles' medical information without an authorization. Once the team has that information, they can tell anyone they want. 

Most people don't get it, even most people who don't work in doctor's offices. For example, I had an MRI done and couldn't reach my doctor because the office had no hours. So I called the MRI facility and asked for my results, which I am perfectly well trained to interpret. They told me they could not release my own records, to me, because of HIPAA, and that because of HIPAA I had to get it through my doctor. 

I went through my whole spiel about why that is completely wrong, and also suggested they review New York State Public Health Law Section 18, re: suspending the license of a physician who does not comply with requests for medical records. 

Needless to say, I got my results promptly. 

Basically, "because of HIPAA" has become a fallback for anyone who doesn't want to do something in the medical field, regardless of whether it applies or not. 

36 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You're usually pretty far off on your anal-retentive anecdotal analysis, but this is just.... 

what? lmao.

I'm not sure if you are sending him $500 because he asked you to, but if you are, I am also asking lol. 

48 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Get out of here with that lmfao.  What an awful comparison lol.

i know i made it silly on purpose.

But again, i have yet to hear one single good reason why the team should be giving that informations to fans at all, considering it has absolutely no impact on the team, the timeline or the players health. 

And i repeat, yes it's frustrating and i'd love to know, but again, that doesn't mean that i should or that they are doing something wrong by not giving it to me

Well this royally sucks. I think we’re missing Wood’s energy more than many of us would have thought. I even remember commenting on it during the last game. 

I also know how serious hip surgery can be. My wife had to get a full on replacement a couple of years ago after finding out she has Congenital hip dysplasia (which was made worse by 6 years in the army). She was only in her mid 30’s when she had the surgery, and it’s obviously much harder on older people (as opposed to someone my wife’s age or even younger like Wood), but after dealing with her recovery I can’t imagine how a professional athlete bounces back from that. 

Guess it all depends on exactly what they have to do though. 

Edited by Nicomo
Clarity

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well this royally sucks. I think we’re missing Wood’s energy more than many of us would have thought. I even remember commenting  on it during the last game. 

I also know how serious hip surgery can be. My wife had to get a full on replacement a couple of years ago after finding out she has Congenital hip dysplasia (which was made worse by 6 years in the army). It’s obviously much harder on older people, but after dealing with her recovery from that surgery I can’t imagine how a professional athlete bounces back from that. 

Guess it all depends on exactly what they have to do though. 

Sadly I can absolutely see this being a career-ender for poor Miles...I hope he recovers enough to be able to enjoy a relatively active "off the ice" life, if his hip doesn't bounce back enough to allow him to return to the ice.  I can see the Devils offering him some job within the organization if he could no longer play.

BUT, hopefully this isn't the end of the road for him, as a hockey player.   

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Q: How do I know Nicomo's wife doesn't read NJDevs

A: Because he just referred to her as "older people"

No, I meant it’s much worse on people older than my wife (who’s only 36) and Miles Wood. 

Broken hips can be killers for elderly folks. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

No, I meant it’s much worse on people older than my wife (who’s only 36) and Miles Wood. 

Broken hips can be killers for elderly folks. 

The old double-whammy:  break a hip, then die of pneumonia.  That's what happened to my 90-year-old grandmother, back in 2002.  Lots of great stories about olden days...she was actually born before the Titanic sank.  

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have been correcting people on the HIPAA vs. HIPPA thing since it has come into effect. Very few people get it. HIPPA is like a female hippo, innit?

This is correct. The doctor would not be able to release Miles' medical information without an authorization. Once the team has that information, they can tell anyone they want. 

Most people don't get it, even most people who don't work in doctor's offices. For example, I had an MRI done and couldn't reach my doctor because the office had no hours. So I called the MRI facility and asked for my results, which I am perfectly well trained to interpret. They told me they could not release my own records, to me, because of HIPAA, and that because of HIPAA I had to get it through my doctor. 

I went through my whole spiel about why that is completely wrong, and also suggested they review New York State Public Health Law Section 18, re: suspending the license of a physician who does not comply with requests for medical records. 

Needless to say, I got my results promptly. 

Basically, "because of HIPAA" has become a fallback for anyone who doesn't want to do something in the medical field, regardless of whether it applies or not. 

I'm not sure if you are sending him $500 because he asked you to, but if you are, I am also asking lol. 

The pandemic has made it worse regarding incorrect interpretations of HIPAA.  A lot of people think it is a giant security blanket where no one is allowed to talk or ask about your medical information.

A lot of stink was made this past year about HIPAA in regards to vaccination status at work.  It is a HIPAA violation for a healthcare provider to release medical records of a person without the consent of the patient to an employer.  However, it is not a HIPAA violation where an employer can ask an employee for something like proof of vaccination or they will get fired.

43 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The pandemic has made it worse regarding incorrect interpretations of HIPAA.  A lot of people think it is a giant security blanket where no one is allowed to talk or ask about your medical information.

A lot of stink was made this past year about HIPAA in regards to vaccination status at work.  It is a HIPAA violation for a healthcare provider to release medical records of a person without the consent of the patient to an employer.  However, it is not a HIPAA violation where an employer can ask an employee for something like proof of vaccination or they will get fired.

Exactly. Your employer asking you for vaccination proof does not violate HIPAA. You are more than free to not give it to them, but that’s not based on HIPAA. 

They are also more than free to not allow you to work there.

• Like 2

Here is how I think a sane organisation would handle this injury, let's see if we can all agree before someone gets eaten by a female hippo. 

Injury takes place.

Team announcement: Miles has picked up a knock. Its a lower body injury that will need to be assessed, currently the timeline for his return is unknown. 

A month down the line, they do some assessments and it's not looking great.

Team Announcement: After the initial assessment and tests the lower body injury is more serious than first expected. Miles will not be available to start the season. We will continue to review the situation and provide further details on the timeline when possible. 

Three months down the line, they have been assessing all the treatment to avoid surgery but that's not possible. It's not good he will be out for a while. 

Team announcement: After exhausting all alternative options Miles will now need surgery to repair his injury. We currently do not have a timeline for his return until the surgery is complete. We will provide an update when we have more information. 

How fvcking difficult is that? You are not giving away any personal information. You aren't pointing out the area that someone might target down the line. At the same time it gives the key info fans want, when are we likely to get our Wood back. 

The trouble with what the team do is the set fans false expectations early doors with language like day to day. Imagine if a delivery company did this, your package will be with you in 2-3 days. Those days pass, the delivery company are like , sorry still working on it, another couple of days. That sh!t is going to get old quick. Then imagine after a month of that they say "sorry we lost that package, no idea where it's gone" you are going to be pissed off.

This is the hockey version of that. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. Your employer asking you for vaccination proof does not violate HIPAA. You are more than free to not give it to them, but that’s not based on HIPAA. 

They are also more than free to not allow you to work there.

But who gets to keep the Hippo? 

• Thanks 3