Blackwood to IR

Nicomo

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I guess I'm in minority thinking Blackie is toast. Seems like a whiney biatch! I wish I were wrong about this guy.  

Nope I'm with you.  Seems like a mental midget.

Hope he gets his confidence back and returns to form next season.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 1:20 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Blackwood's downward trajectory started well before his heel injury.  So while I do think it may have played a role in his recent play, it doesn't account for the rest.

Out of curiosity. When did he injure his heel exactly? I assume you know since you're making that statement.

Cause personally I don't know. But i know that he finished last season and got a surgery for his heel in the summer and that it's still bothering him. With only that information, one might consider as a possibility that maybe it was bothering him last season too and why he got the surgery? But again, i personally don't know.

So did he get injured in the summer ? Let us know

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Out of curiosity. When did he injure his heel exactly? I assume you know since you're making that statement.

Cause personally I don't know. But i know that he finished last season and got a surgery for his heel in the summer and that it's still bothering him. With only that information, one might consider as a possibility that maybe it was bothering him last season too and why he got the surgery? But again, i personally don't know.

So did he get injured in the summer ? Let us know

Maybe, but you would figure that it would have been mentioned last year.  Then again, due to the sorry state of our media, it's possible the Devils just didn't announce it since they were never pressed about it.

I am not saying trade Blackwood for a bucket of pucks, but he doesn't look like the goalie of the future for this team.  I would rather be wrong than right about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Maybe, but you would figure that it would have been mentioned last year.  Then again, due to the sorry state of our media, it's possible the Devils just didn't announce it since they were never pressed about it.

I am not saying trade Blackwood for a bucket of pucks, but he doesn't look like the goalie of the future for this team.  I would rather be wrong than right about that.

Yeah exactly. We don't even get upates when our guys are CLEARLY out with injury. I highly doubt we'd get updates on lingering issues lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I guess I'm in minority thinking Blackie is toast. Seems like a whiney biatch! I wish I were wrong about this guy.  

Nah I'm there with you, I think he's a guy who will be a backup in the next couple of seasons, hopefully elsewhere.  

One of two things happened with regards to Crapwood and the Merry Band of Idiots (MBI) we have in the front office:

1) He was injured, came back, then withheld how bad his heel was causing him pain AND our MBI were so incompetent, they didn't recognize it and kept playing him.

or

2) He said he was injured but wanted to keep playing, and MBI said "Sure, you're giving up four a night and whiff on two of them, you deserve to keep trying to grit through it."

Either way, the MBI are morons cause we all knew either he's mentally done as a goalie or something else or both

20 minutes ago, jagknife said:

One of two things happened with regards to Crapwood and the Merry Band of Idiots (MBI) we have in the front office:

1) He was injured, came back, then withheld how bad his heel was causing him pain AND our MBI were so incompetent, they didn't recognize it and kept playing him.

or

2) He said he was injured but wanted to keep playing, and MBI said "Sure, you're giving up four a night and whiff on two of them, you deserve to keep trying to grit through it."

Either way, the MBI are morons cause we all knew either he's mentally done as a goalie or something else or both

FWIW, I want my players to WANT to play through an injury. That kind of desire is what you should expect from players. It's up to management to decide that's a bad idea, especially if the on-ice product reflects that it could possibly be an issue. 

While its possible that he hid that it was bothering him, I find that the less likely situation, especially given that he had surgery, wasn't ready to start the season, etc., and went through rehab. I am sure he continued getting therapy on it throughout the season while he was playing (he should have, anyway). The team should have had better knowledge as to his condition. 

Again, I have no idea if all or part of Blackwood's issues relate to his heel. If they do, I believe the team is guilty of having dreadfully mismanaged the situation. Which, of course, is in keeping with their dreadful mismanagement of multiple aspects of the team. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

FWIW, I want my players to WANT to play through an injury. That kind of desire is what you should expect from players. It's up to management to decide that's a bad idea, especially if the on-ice product reflects that it could possibly be an issue. 

While its possible that he hid that it was bothering him, I find that the less likely situation, especially given that he had surgery, wasn't ready to start the season, etc., and went through rehab. I am sure he continued getting therapy on it throughout the season while he was playing (he should have, anyway). The team should have had better knowledge as to his condition. 

Again, I have no idea if all or part of Blackwood's issues relate to his heel. If they do, I believe the team is guilty of having dreadfully mismanaged the situation. Which, of course, is in keeping with their dreadful mismanagement of multiple aspects of the team. 

There is little to no doubt in my mind the team mismanaged him.

I refuse to blame all of his shortcomings this season in the team though. He absolutely shoulders a share of the responsibility

Just now, jagknife said:

There is little to no doubt in my mind the team mismanaged him.

I refuse to blame all of his shortcomings this season in the team though. He absolutely shoulders a share of the responsibility

Me either, that's why I included the "if" his issues relate to his heel part. I hope they do. 

According to Friedmans 32 Thoughts, Blackwood is probably out long term. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-unafraid-auston-matthews-takes-big-off-ice-step/

9. New Jersey and Mackenzie Blackwood are going through second and potentially third opinions over treatment for his injured heel. Timeline uncertain.

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

According to Friedmans 32 Thoughts, Blackwood is probably out long term. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-unafraid-auston-matthews-takes-big-off-ice-step/

9. New Jersey and Mackenzie Blackwood are going through second and potentially third opinions over treatment for his injured heel. Timeline uncertain.

Well that doesn't sound good lol. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well that doesn't sound good lol. 

If this means he comes back next season with a chance to be fully healthy, keep sending out Gillies, Schmid, and whoever else doesn't have any other plans on game nights, for the remainder of this season.  Works for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If this means he comes back next season with a chance to be fully healthy, keep sending out Gillies, Schmid, and whoever else doesn't have any other plans on game nights, for the remainder of this season.  Works for me.

At this point, that should be the plan. Get him back to 100% and then see what he's got. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It looks like another surgery could be in the cards. Hopefully he comes back and can build off his first couple of years 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

sure why not other than it means you're already heading into next season with a huge question mark in goal. Things are shaping up nicely there already.  Yet another season potentially destined for the sh!tter this one right from the gate. 

17 hours ago, titans04 said:

sure why not other than it means you're already heading into next season with a huge question mark in goal. Things are shaping up nicely there already.  Yet another season potentially destined for the sh!tter this one right from the gate. 

I think you have to imagine Fitzgerald will be looking for another solid option in goal like the past two summers with Crow and Bernier.  Let's just hope the third time doesn't also blow up immediately.

• Like 2