2022 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

MadDog2020

16 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Hopefully Colorado fans are all jacked up to win the cup at home on Friday, they come out and dominate the first 10 minutes, including getting a goal that gets called back and then give up a totally deflating goal from the blue line and things just snowball on them from there.   

That’s my exact hope as well. I then hope they lose game 7 in OT and have to watch Tampa parade the Cup aground on their ice, just as an extra form of payback for having to be reminded about Ray Bourque every time that franchise is mentioned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eldon said:

Just saw in the Post an article about Avs having 6 guys on ice during OT game winner...

https://nypost.com/2022/06/23/stanley-cup-final-should-avalanche-game-winner-have-counted/

C'est la vie...

40 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this happens 900 times a season. if he’s taking himself out of the play it’s no discussion. he’s taking himself out of the play, so — again, no discussion.

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The above looks like a discussion, I'm just saying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The above looks like a discussion, I'm just saying. 

You must be a fvcking idiot if you think this warrants a discussion 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This Tampa defense is insane. Colorado has nearly 4 minutes of time in Tampas zone and only 1 shot so far. 7 blocked shots for Tampa already. 

They play their asses off.  But when you're up against a big, fast, strong and supremely skilled opponent like the Avalanche, you cannot take penalties or get hemmed in. They can only block so many shots. I like the Bolts. I can't hate them. Even if they came back last round and won 4 straight. They have likeable players, a great coach who's complimentary, and are built well. Going for a 3-peat in this era is unheard of.  

They dominated the 1st period last night. It didn't matter because they only scored one goal on Kuemper. The power play again failed.  The biggest difference in the series is special teams.  It's 6-1 Colorado in PPG. Plus the Makar shorthanded goal. Tampa is too predictable. Their PK isn't aggressive enough and they don't clear pucks. 

It also could be that they're worn out from going this deep a third consecutive year. They're banged up. Look at Cernak and Cirelli. You have Stamkos selling out to block shots. Colorado is fresher and had a layup last round. Two byes essentially. That really helps. Their forecheck is tenacious. Vasilevskiy and that D can't do it by themselves. They need to forecheck early to win tomorrow. Get ahead. Take that crowd out of it. They're mostly fraud fans anyway who don't understand the rules. 

The mentality is win Game 5. Then they're not losing at home. Which means Game 7. It can happen. But how much do they have left? They have the right goalie and personnel. Kucherov, Stammer, Palat and Hedman all must step up along with Paul, Cirelli and either Colton or Perry. Do not take penalties. 

I'd like to see them do it. Just get Game Five. The pressure will shift. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

this happens 900 times a season. if he’s taking himself out of the play it’s no discussion. he’s taking himself out of the play, so — again, no discussion.

It was noticeable on the replay. They miss it too much. I hate to see such a big game decided that way. Colorado probably would've won anyway. But the way the rules are set up, how is that not an automatic review in Toronto? It's a scoring play in overtime of the Stanley Cup. They have the technology. The pr statement they put out was embarrassing. It doesn't matter now. Now we see what happens tomorrow. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

It was noticeable on the replay. They miss it too much. I hate to see such a big game decided that way. Colorado probably would've won anyway. But the way the rules are set up, how is that not an automatic review in Toronto? It's a scoring play in overtime of the Stanley Cup. They have the technology. The pr statement they put out was embarrassing. It doesn't matter now. Now we see what happens tomorrow. 

If they are going to have replay, I agree with you. Personally I don’t think anything should be reviewable, but if you’re going to review stuff it would seem this would be one of the things you might want to take a look at.

1 hour ago, Derek21 said:

They play their asses off.  But when you're up against a big, fast, strong and supremely skilled opponent like the Avalanche, you cannot take penalties or get hemmed in. They can only block so many shots. I like the Bolts. I can't hate them. Even if they came back last round and won 4 straight. They have likeable players, a great coach who's complimentary, and are built well. Going for a 3-peat in this era is unheard of.  

They dominated the 1st period last night. It didn't matter because they only scored one goal on Kuemper. The power play again failed.  The biggest difference in the series is special teams.  It's 6-1 Colorado in PPG. Plus the Makar shorthanded goal. Tampa is too predictable. Their PK isn't aggressive enough and they don't clear pucks. 

It also could be that they're worn out from going this deep a third consecutive year. They're banged up. Look at Cernak and Cirelli. You have Stamkos selling out to block shots. Colorado is fresher and had a layup last round. Two byes essentially. That really helps. Their forecheck is tenacious. Vasilevskiy and that D can't do it by themselves. They need to forecheck early to win tomorrow. Get ahead. Take that crowd out of it. They're mostly fraud fans anyway who don't understand the rules. 

The mentality is win Game 5. Then they're not losing at home. Which means Game 7. It can happen. But how much do they have left? They have the right goalie and personnel. Kucherov, Stammer, Palat and Hedman all must step up along with Paul, Cirelli and either Colton or Perry. Do not take penalties. 

I'd like to see them do it. Just get Game Five. The pressure will shift. 

It might just be too much. The core players have to be closing in on 300 or so games over the last 3 years. That is a ton of hockey and Colorado is hungry and so close. I agree, Tampa is going to need a few guys other than Vasilevskiy to make some big plays to take game 5. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How the fvck is this a real article lol.

"IF there's a rift he COULD ask for a trade." 

there's 'clickbait nonsense' and then there's whatever the hell this is, lmao.

The dude who refused to play anywhere but New York is going to demand a trade? Doubt it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Also, who is going to trade for Panarin? He's 30 years old and he makes 11.7m per year. He produces, obviously, but he's a winger. You'd basically be paying for that "ew yuck" back end of a UFA contract without getting the "ooooh shiny" beginning part. 

Ironically enough there's probably a fit there for the Devils, but the Rangers and Devils wouldn't ever make a trade of this magnitude.  

Probably so, let him play a couple years then he “retires” to go back to Russia. Sounds like a Devils move. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

(I also sorta didn't realize Shesterkin was only signed for 3 more years before he's an unrestricted free agent. Kinda feels like their window is between now and 2025.)

Why, like he’s not going to sign an extension? Of course he will. There’s no “cap hell” that would ever result in them letting him go. 

Edited by mfitz804

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Also, I'm just going to say this and hope I'm not jinxing anything.

The Rangers are about to be in cap hell. Not "oh no, they can't afford to pay their 3rd line center!" like Tampa. More like, "they... might be fvcked." I know SD will pipe in here and say "but I thought you said there's no such thing as cap hell" and he'd be right, but I didn't see the kind of silliness the Rangers fvckled themselves into. 

They're going into next year with $12m in cap space. Right off the top, they need to find/sign a 2nd line center, and almost an entirely new bottom six. They need a 6th and 7th defenseman. They owe a bridge deal to Kakko and they need a backup goalie (or they need to pay Giorgiev, but he's unlikely to give them much of a discount since he wants a starting role). 

The situation for next year alone is pretty dire. They'll likely lose their 2nd line center (Strome), 3rd line center / swiss army knife (Copp), and the rest of their entire fourth line that was so successful in the playoffs (Vatrano and Motte). They're all UFAs and will not be cheap. But the situation gets MARKEDLY worse the next season, where they will owe massive raises to Chytil (he'll want his big ticket as their 2nd line center), Lafreniere (who looks like he might explode next year) and -- most importantly, K'Andre Miller who is developing into one of the best defenseman on their team. 

They're uber talented. Which is obviously a good problem to have, but I don't know how they'll be able to fill out a bottom-6 or a bottom-pairing. (I also sorta didn't realize Shesterkin was only signed for 3 more years before he's an unrestricted free agent. Kinda feels like their window is between now and 2025.)

Without reading the whole post, I will just tell you that we’e seen this movie before, and it always ends with some sucker stepping in to help them out with their sh!tty contracts and mistakes.  I see no reason why anything will be any different this time around. They ALWAYS find their way out of cap issues. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Without reading the whole post, I will just tell you that we’e seen this movie before, and it always ends with some sucker stepping in to help them out with their sh!tty contracts and mistakes.  I see no reason why anything will be any different this time around. They ALWAYS find their way out of cap issues. 

This right here.  I really cannot think of any other team that was supposed to be in cap Armageddon actually get into that situation.  There are always cap floor teams willing to take on bad contracts for a price (typically a pick like the Marleau trade to Carolian that the Devils should have totally done), dumb GMs willing to seemingly lend a helping hand to these teams with bad trades, and the ever-present LTIR workaround that Tampa and Vegas have recently used.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This right here.  I really cannot think of any other team that was supposed to be in cap Armageddon actually get into that situation.  There are always cap floor teams willing to take on bad contracts for a price (typically a pick like the Marleau trade to Carolian that the Devils should have totally done), dumb GMs willing to seemingly lend a helping hand to these teams with bad trades, and the ever-present LTIR workaround that Tampa and Vegas have recently used.

Yep. Cap hell does not exist. It’s not a thing. 

• Like 1