• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

worth remembering there's a thread on NJDevs where we all said the same thing when the draft-eve report came that the Devils loved Cale Makar. 

I trust our scouts. Defense is a huge organizational position of need, especially top-end talent like Nemec or Jiricek. So I'd be fine with either. 

You’re absolutely right, left off the defenders, wouldn’t be upset there either.

I’m just more thinking about the guys who haven’t been in the conversation for top 5 now going 2nd. I don’t want another chase stillman-type if “what the hell are you doing?” Pick

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You'd think that maybe there's a specific player they want, say they really want Slaf... and that he's picked by MTL. You'd imagine that id they'd rather trade the pick vs getting Wright or Cooley... they'd have done all the leg work with another GM and they'd just have to make the call to finalize / confirm it. There's no way to make such a big decision within 5 minutes.

It would have to be. I don't want anyone making that decision in that short of a time frame!!

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

Slaf, Cooley or Wright (in that order) and I’m happy. Fitz can’t fvck up the selection even if he tried. 

"With the second overall pick, the Devils pick some Russian dude that only @Guadana has ever heard of, and that everyone has ranked as a late 2nd rounder". 

37 minutes ago, MB3 said:

worth remembering there's a thread on NJDevs where we all said the same thing when the draft-eve report came that the Devils loved Cale Makar. 

I trust our scouts. Defense is a huge organizational position of need, especially top-end talent like Nemec or Jiricek. So I'd be fine with either. 

Becoming a dad has made you far too rational. :P

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Everyone in the world already knew it wasn't a McDavid or Matthews type draft. 

My best guess is that the Devils love Slafkovsky, they want him in a bad way, but if he's not available and someone wants to pay to trade for Wright they'll listen. I don't think Fitzgerald is stupid, he realizes this team needs an elite winger and if an opportunity to trade a lottery-ticket of a pick for a sure-fire young goal scorer presents itself, he'd be failing at his job to not make that deal. 

And yes, that's how these deals work. You've heard GMs talk about it all the time, "if x happens, we were prepared to make y trade with z team". 

I mean, it's also not impossible that we get Wright and trade him if we have to. Would feel like a dick move cause when you draft a top player you bring him around town and do all those fancy things... and then trade him? haha

But realistically, AT THE DRAFT, i think only teams like Arizona or wtv, teams that are CLOSE to the pick may want to trade for him. While if you wait a bit let the dust settle at free agency, then some/more teams might be in tough spot and willing to pay the price to get him. It's all about asset management.

I personally don't want Wright based on my perception of him (which could be totally wrong obviously) but im fully aware that he has a lot of value at the moment so

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

"With the second overall pick, the Devils pick some Russian dude that only @Guadana has ever heard of, and that everyone has ranked as a late 2nd rounder". 

Nightmare scenario would be Fitz trading for more picks. As much as 2023 is a loaded class, we can’t keep accumulating draft picks. At some point we have to start winning hockey games

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Nightmare scenario would be Fitz trading for more picks. As much as 2023 is a loaded class, we can’t keep accumulating draft picks. At some point we have to start winning hockey games

That would be nice. 

oh the MTL media is fun and as cynical as ever.

Wright: "I want to be a #1 pick, you always want to go first"

Canadian Media translates to: "Wright wants to be a Habs at all cost"

Cooley is literally being asked specific questions about the Habs and their players.

Cooley: "Cole Caufield and I are 2 guys that went through the american program. I'm a bit more of a playmaker and he's a finisher so we would be a good 1-2 punch"

Canadian Media translates to: "Cooley absolutely want to play with Caufield"

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

oh the MTL media is fun and as cynical as ever.

Wright: "I want to be a #1 pick, you always want to go first"

Canadian Media translates to: "Wright wants to be a Habs at all cost"

Cooley is literally being asked specific questions about the Habs and their players.

Cooley: "Cole Caufield and I are 2 guys that went through the american program. I'm a bit more of a playmaker and he's a finisher so we would be a good 1-2 punch"

Canadian Media translates to: "Cooley absolutely want to play with Caufield"

Sounds about right lol

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Slaf, Cooley or Wright (in that order) and I’m happy. Fitz can’t fvck up the selection even if he tried. 

Don't be too sure about that one ... Marco Kasper, 17-year-old CHL debut success - YouTube

EDIT - Not saying Kasper is not a good player, but I've read rumors about the Devils really liking him as high as 2 which is a massive waste of draft capital if you ask me.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Don't be too sure about that one ... Marco Kasper, 17-year-old CHL debut success - YouTube

EDIT - Not saying Kasper is not a good player, but I've read rumors about the Devils really liking him as high as 2 which is a massive waste of draft capital if you ask me.

I do think so too. But we would have said the same thing about Makar too and we indeed said the same thing about Seider and Scheifele when they went off the board to pick them. 

Who fvcking knows lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

No mater who we pick, one things for sure. In four or five years time, we'll all be arguing about why that player was picked and why player X, Y or Z wasn't. Can't wait!

Yeah and no matter how the pick at the time was right based on the overwhelming scouting reports. Our resident troll will dig for months to find ONE scout who had that one better player ahead and how OUR scouts fvcked up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I do think so too. But we would have said the same thing about Makar too and we indeed said the same thing about Seider and Scheifele when they went off the board to pick them. 

Who fvcking knows lol 

Exactly. If we draft Kasper, I won’t freak out. You just never know. 

Lots of reporters in MTL saying they talked to many people connected to the organisation (MTL), that based on their informations will draft Slaf. Obviously anything like this should be taken with a grain of salt. But ive been seeing this a lot

fvck.

Edited by SterioDesign

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Lots of reporters saying they talked to many people connected to the organisation, that based on their informations will draft Slaf. Obviously anything like this should be taken with a grain of salt. But ive been seeing this a lot

fvck.

That’s great news

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it might be. Nobody knows. We'll know in a few years

Lol with the information we have, I take it as a huge win at this moment. Sure we won’t know for certain until a few years but he’s a potential first overall pick. I’ll take a player like that.

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Lol with the information we have, I take it as a huge win at this moment. Sure we won’t know for certain until a few years but he’s a potential first overall pick. I’ll take a player like that.

Im actually not sure who you're talking about here lol

edit: oh sh!t. I didn't mention that i meant reporters in MTL saying that MTL would pick him! So i thought you meant you were happy we were not getting him

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Im actually not sure who you're talking about here lol

edit: oh sh!t. I didn't mention that i meant reporters in MTL saying that MTL would pick him! So i thought you meant you were happy we were not getting him

Oh my bad I thought you were saying reports are that WE’re getting him.

Now your ‘fvck’ makes more sense lol

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Oh my bad I thought you were saying reports are that WE’re getting him.

Now your ‘fvck’ makes more sense lol

Well no its my bad haha i just didn't specify that i was talking about MTL all along lol I started typing with that in mind and just forgot lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Well tnight im gonna watch a bunch of videos of Wright again and try to like him more than i do cause there's obviously a good chance we're getting him.

Side note that you guys may not hear in english media. I'm not sure why, but Kent Hughes said that the decision is/was between Wright, Slaf and Cooley, nobody else. And a reporter that's real close to the team said that they are only meeting Slafkosky tomorrow, while they already met the other 2. Might just be a scheduling thing, but its still weird. Also they got Martin St-Louis to call Wright, no mention if he talked to the other guys too

It's strange and i assume it wouldn't be the first meeting they'd have with him. But why just him tomorrow?

a few of the top prospects (wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Savoie, Geekie and Gauthier) skated and practiced with some kids today and Nick Suzuki. Since they are in MTL

image.jpeg.016c2863aefb69dd0f8fd0087b20a841.jpeg

• Like 1