Utica Comets Thread 2022-23

Chimaira_Devil_#9

• 3 weeks later...

Simon Nemec has 5 points in 11 games for Utica so far, but the most impressive thing to me is he is plus 3 in those games.

I know plus minus is something many folks look down on, but for me, a 18 year old on a team that has been blown out a few times this season and given up tons of goals, this is a very good stat.

I watched all the preseason games and while he got himself in trouble by jumping up at every chance he impressed me by his presence in his own zone and his ability with his stick and defending.

I am not saying he is going to be up this season, but I think as he continues to get used to the smaller rink and when to jump up and when to be patient, the odds grow that the Devils will have to think about that possibility.

Damon's and Graves clocks are ticking, and the question is do the Devils want to lose 2 defenseman for nothing in the offseason or do they make a move in the next 2 months with one, both or neither of them to possibly improve in another area and or for future assets.

The incredible start does not change this, but the defense and how they look with Damon being on the bottom pairing does make you think if other teams still value him as a top 4 should the Devils make a move if they think Nemec, Bahl and Okhotiuk who was injured earlier in the season and just came back, can replace him and the team not be too wounded by that loss.

I do think there is a possibility that if they are not happy with Bahl, Smith and Okhotiuk and his price is not crazy that Graves could be signed to a 3 or 4 year extension, as if they can get him on that type of deal, he should be a very tradable type player when the time comes to do so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised if Severson is signed at a discount deal. I know many Devils fans think he's not very good, but with D corps having more depth this year, he's not being counted on as much. He's our 2nd PP QB.  Fitz does have to shed some $$ somewhere. I know Tatar, Wood, Severson, Haula, & Graves are UFA's after this season.  I think they are high on Bahl,  & Smith is signed for next season. I think/hope Fitz can sign Bratt to a reasonable contract.  Cap wise as we speak, is not too shabby. 

41 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Severson is signed at a discount deal. I know many Devils fans think he's not very good, but with D corps having more depth this year, he's not being counted on as much. He's our 2nd PP QB.  Fitz does have to shed some $$ somewhere. I know Tatar, Wood, Severson, Haula, & Graves are UFA's after this season.  I think they are high on Bahl,  & Smith is signed for next season. I think/hope Fitz can sign Bratt to a reasonable contract.  Cap wise as we speak, is not too shabby. 

the question is, where does he play?

He's a Right Defenseman; the Devils already have Hamilton and Marino ahead of him on the depth chart. Simon Nemec will likely be ready at the start of next season, but at the very least he'll be ready during Severson's extension. So who are you knocking off the right side? 

I'd much prefer they re-sign Graves, a left handed defenseman who's a year younger and likely a little bit cheaper. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...