GDT: 10/28/2022 Avalanche @ Devils Please No Washington Part Deux Kind of Game

Colorado Rockies 1976

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

• Miles Wood is just really not a good hockey player, and he needs to be on the 4th line gooning it up or he’s really useless. Since his injuries he plays a timid game and if that doesn’t change soon, I hope the Devils move on. 

I mean, it’s been what, 8 games since he came back from a hip surgery? I can certainly understand him being more timid. His speed is still there. Was a pretty nice goal last night, if he would have stayed onside. That’s pretty much been his game from the beginning, 110% speed and hopefully something good happens before he does something stupid. 

I think a bigger problem is his pairing with McLeod. Wood plays better when his supporting player is better, and McLeod is not really an NHL player at this point. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MB3 said:

was just messing with you. tatar played horrible all game and then took a brain dead cross checking penalty with a minute to go to give the best team in the league a full minute of 6-on-4

oh im sure he did. Like i said, he could be off the roster and i'd be perfectly happy for as long as we have someone better taking his spot.

And as disappointing as it is, from what i've seen and apparently from what the coaching staff has seen in games and practices... Holtz is just not better at this point. Tatar to me at least had moments where he looked good and i honestly don't remember Holtz looking good at any point and his goal was a really weak goal. He's just not ready yet.

And i've always been one to say "personally i'd rather see a young guy playing and dealing with his mistakes than seeing an old vet getting away with murder out there with no consequences". Said this a thousand times here. But personally i'd rather see Zetterlund instead of Holtz taking his spot

On 10/27/2022 at 7:20 PM, SterioDesign said:

i have a feeling we'll win this game.

Also no matter how it goes it should be wonderful cause we get to watch Makar play and he's an absolute beauty to watch

Well my feeling was right.

But i missed the game so hopefully you guys enjoyed the win and enjoyed watching Makar play lol

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

oh im sure he did. Like i said, he could be off the roster and i'd be perfectly happy for as long as we have someone better taking his spot.

And as disappointing as it is, from what i've seen and apparently from what the coaching staff has seen in games and practices... Holtz is just not better at this point. Tatar to me at least had moments where he looked good and i honestly don't remember Holtz looking good at any point and his goal was a really weak goal. He's just not ready yet.

And i've always been one to say "personally i'd rather see a young guy playing and dealing with his mistakes than seeing an old vet getting away with murder out there with no consequences". Said this a thousand times here. But personally i'd rather see Zetterlund instead of Holtz taking his spot

But i missed the game so hopefully you guys enjoyed the win and enjoyed watching Makar play lol

re:  Holtz, I think if the Devils thought he was at a “OK he’ll make some painful rookie mistakes but his game is far enough along to give him an extended look” level, he’d be out there.  I’m guessing between what the coaches have seen in games and in practices, they just don’t feel that way about him right now.

re:  Makar, the Devils actually kept him relatively quiet, all things considered.  Marino was a beast…hell of a find by Fitz, truly.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Feel for Nico.  He looks like he’s ready to see his offensive numbers go up, but for now he’s stuck with Tatar and Zetterlund.  And that’s not to knock Zetterlund, but he’s not a Top 6 forward.  Tatar is just useless.

We’ll see what the situation is long-term with Palat, but the Devils could explore moving Seves for a forward who brings some offense.  As Seves has warts, I’m sure whoever they’d get back would have some too.  I know some would like to see Holtz just get thrown into the lineup, but I don’t equate Tatar sucking to “Well just play Holtz regardless.”  His time to get a look will come.  But Tatard…that guy…he’s just gotta go…he looks the the kind of guy who won’t get another deal once this once expires.  

If im Fitz i'm trading Holtz for Meier. The sharks will have to start rebuilding soon and could use young guys and we're entering our winning window, Meier is 26 so it's perfect and he has amazing chemistry with Nico.

Also i've never been high on Holtz and while he did show some good things in the AHL.. i still have that original feeling i had before the draft and i just... don't see him being an impact player, so if we can trick someone in thinking that since he's a top pick well let's go and let's start winning now

59 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I personally don’t get it, he’s not really helping but he’s also not hurting us. I’m more worried about Brendan Smith. 

That said, if we get defense like we got last night throughout the season, I’ll be pretty happy. I think Marino played a crazy game, and as a result, it’s being overlooked how good Siegenthaler was as well. 

Tatar is essentially roster filler. I would like to see someone else take his place, but he’s not killing us. 

Tatar being forced on Nico feels like a killer, but hopefully it’s very temporary.  Hope Palat isn’t out for an extended period.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If im Fitz i'm trading Holtz for Meier. The sharks will have to start rebuilding soon and could use young guys and we're entering our winning window, Meier is 26 so it's perfect and he has amazing chemistry with Nico.

Also i've never been high on Holtz and while he did show some good things in the AHL.. i still have that original feeling i had before the draft and i just... don't see him being an impact player, so if we can trick someone in thinking that since he's a top pick well let's go and let's start winning now

I hear you from a pure personnel standpoint (Meier makes the Devils a better team right now, no question, and we don’t know if Holtz will pan out), but this year’s Devils don’t have the room to add him under the cap…and he’s going to be a higher-priced RFA this offseason.  I’d rather that money go to Bratt.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hear you from a pure personnel standpoint (Meier makes the Devils a better team right now, no question, and we don’t know if Holtz will pan out), but this year’s Devils don’t have the room to add him under the cap…and he’s going to be a higher-priced RFA this offseason.  I’d rather that money go to Bratt.  

yeah i guess. And we'll have Luke and Nemec probably (hopefully) commanding decent money in about... 4-5 years

Also maybe we can convince the sharks to take Tatar too then we can at least fit him this year :P 

Edited by SterioDesign

Great game by the boys! Amazing game by Marino, Hamilton, Jack and of course Bratt!

Marino is by far our best D we’ve had in many many years. What a steal by fitz.

let’s keep it rollin

Edited by Devils01

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i guess. And we'll have Luke and Nemec probably (hopefully) commanding decent money in about... 4-5 years

After Bratt (assuming he sticks for big money), it’s really going to have to be from within guys contributing on ELCs and bridge deals, and strategic lock-ups like Siegs and Marino.  Devils won’t be able to afford another expensive contract…like you said, eventually you’d like to have enough flexibility for the next wave. 

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Mr context only applies context conveniently. Case in point, saying Holtz doesn’t look ready. The one game he played top 6 with regular minutes he notched a goal. You’re judging him on games when he sat most of the game, couldn’t get into a rhythm and played with grinders. He’s not that type of player that will thrive in that role. He also sat multiple games in a row so surely had some rust.

IMO there’s not enough of a sample to say he’s shown he doesn’t belong.

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Saying we don’t know how Holtz will turn out can apply for any prospect we have. Doesn’t make it more reasonable to trade him away.

That said, ive been all on board the ‘get Meier train’.

Edited by devlman

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, it’s been what, 8 games since he came back from a hip surgery? I can certainly understand him being more timid. His speed is still there. Was a pretty nice goal last night, if he would have stayed onside. That’s pretty much been his game from the beginning, 110% speed and hopefully something good happens before he does something stupid. 

I wish they would change the offsides challenge. That goal was a perfect example of a goal that should be called off because if he wasn't offsides he would have never gotten into position to score it. 

It's the goals that come after a minute or even more of sustained offensive zone time that bother me. 

I know people would still complain about the calls but them changing it to a rule of its only allowed to be overturned if it directly results in a goal like Woods play last night I would be perfectly happy with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Saying we don’t know how Holtz will turn out can apply for any prospect we have. Doesn’t make it more reasonable to trade him away.

Exactly. While only trading away pieces of sh!t like Tatar sounds great in theory, it doesn’t get you good pieces in return. If they were to trade Meier for Holtz, it would be because of Holtz’s potential, not his whopping 3 NHL points.  

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wish they would change the offsides challenge. That goal was a perfect example of a goal that should be called off because if he wasn't offsides he would have never gotten into position to score it. 

It's the goals that come after a minute or even more of sustained offensive zone time that bother me. 

I know people would still complain about the calls but them changing it to a rule of its only allowed to be overturned if it directly results in a goal like Woods play last night I would be perfectly happy with it. 

Well said. I would get rid of all challenges and just lately what happens on the ice happens, but those offsides calls that have nothing to do with the actual goal should be removed from the game. 

• Like 1

I think a bigger problem is his pairing with McLeod. Wood plays better when his supporting player is better, and McLeod is not really an NHL player at this point. 

I really don’t understand this. I was in my usual seat in the lower bowl last night and Miles was just a beast all night. His speed gave the Avs trouble all night, and he is a true weapon in that regard. It may not show up on the score sheet, but his consistent effort, obvious leadership, and blazing skating are a critical piece on the ice, and I presume in the locker room. A prototypical third liner IMO, and I’m sure a  large number of GMs wish they had him. 

Edited by smelly
Error

Well said. I would get rid of all challenges and just lately what happens on the ice happens, but those offsides calls that have nothing to do with the actual goal should be removed from the game. 

even to some extend it should have "some flexibility" ideally. Cause the goal of offsides is to make sure nobody takes advantage of staying behind the dmen or get an unfair advantage for a breakaway or wtv.... we get that.

But if you have to go to video review and spend 5 minutes trying to figure out if he was half an inch in or outside the blue line.... then did the player truly ever had an advantage? lol 

1 hour ago, smelly said:

I really don’t understand this. I was in my usual seat in the lower bowl last night and Miles was just a beast all night. His speed gave the Avs trouble all night, and he is a true weapon in that regard. It may not show up on the score sheet, but his consistent effort, obvious leadership, and blazing skating are a critical piece on the ice, and I presume in the locker room. A prototypical third liner IMO, and I’m sure a  large number of GMs wish they had him. 

I think you get it exactly. 

Althugh he is not as aggressive physically, he isn’t being over goalies for penalties on a breakaway anymore. I would like him on the third line, away from Mike McLeod, and I think he would perform better.

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

even to some extend it should have "some flexibility" ideally. Cause the goal of offsides is to make sure nobody takes advantage of staying behind the dmen or get an unfair advantage for a breakaway or wtv.... we get that.

But if you have to go to video review and spend 5 minutes trying to figure out if he was half an inch in or outside the blue line.... then did the player truly ever had an advantage? lol 

There are referees that can do that. If they miss a call, so be it.

Problem is we live in a word where people think every wrong has to have a remedy. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you get it exactly. 

Althugh he is not as aggressive physically, he isn’t being over goalies for penalties on a breakaway anymore. I would like him on the third line, away from Mike McLeod, and I think he would perform better.

Wood while frustrating at times is a perfect bottom 6 wing. Lots of speed, can put in 10-20 goals a year and is willing to play with an edge and fight. He drives me nuts sometimes but you really can’t ask for more considering his role. 

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Wood while frustrating at times is a perfect bottom 6 wing. Lots of speed, can put in 10-20 goals a year and is willing to play with an edge and fight. He drives me nuts sometimes but you really can’t ask for more considering his role. 

Correct. I think the main issue with Wood has always been his lack of awareness at times, and taking bad penalties at the wrong time. He seems to have corrected that. The play last night was a great goal if he wasn’t a step or two offsides. That’s a problem when a guy plays like he has more speed than he can handle. Have to take the good with the bad. 

18 hours ago, MB3 said:

I challenge anyone to tell me one net-positive thing Tomas Tatar, Brendan Smith or Jesper Boqvist provide to this team.

I'm catching up on last night's posts, I hate seeing Mason marchment playing really well in Dallas, I really wanted us to go for him and I would honestly drop all three of these guys for someone like him on this team 

5 hours ago, devlman said:

That said, ive been all on board the ‘get Meier train’.

I’m not saying to trade him away.  If the Devils were somehow flush with cap space, yeah, I’d absolutely consider dealing Holtz for Meier, who is indeed more of a known quantity at this point, and does have chemistry with Nico.

But given the contracts already on the payroll and what’s likely to be a massive one added to the mix if/when Bratt gets his, there’s simply no room for Meier to get a payday here.  And regardless of how Holtz is looking at the moment, the potential for him to be cost-effective production is still very much there.  So I hang onto him and hope that he figures it out in the next couple of years.