New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

On 10/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, Lateralous said:

Jesper Boqvist was waived by the Bruins today.  

They also waived Zboril who was the first of those disastrous three straight first round picks in 2015.   I guess DeBrusk is pretty good but there were guy who were generally higher rated at the time who have also become better pros.   Thankfully the Bruins totally whiffed on that draft that could have set them up for years. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

I know it has been talked about ad nauseam but I will still always have to bring up that after Boston picked Zboril, DeBrusk, and Senyshyn in a row, the next 3 picks were Matt Barzal, Kyle Connor, and Thomas Chabot 🤦‍♂️

On 10/7/2023 at 10:42 PM, RizzMB30 said:

I would almost be tempted to claim him, lol. They must feel pretty good about Zacha with Pasta and Marchand. 

No to Boqvist...I see him as a guy who was given time to establish himself as someone good enough to turn the corner with the rest of the team, and he simply didn't do enough.  With guys like him, I'm all for a clean break.

He'll be 25 at the end of this month...this is no longer a kid with upside.  He's a guy who will bounce back and forth between the AHL and NHL, playing for several different franchises (usually ones icing a bad team), popping up here and there just when you've pretty much forgotten about him...unless he chooses to play in a different league altogether (KHL, some Swiss league, etc).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Holy sh!t, Dahlin got PAID. 

You ain't kidding, but they're actually in good shape to do this, even with Power figuring to get big money too...the Sabres will be filtering in their share of ELC contracts in the seasons to come (lots of young talent in their system).

Gives us an idea of what a Luke extension might look like in a couple of years, if he shows signs of becoming the kind of players we all hope he can be.  Hope that cap keeps going up...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Buffalo's window is going to open super quick here. Their young guys will take that next step in the next season or two and league will be on notice. Great drafting and a couple awesome trades have really set them up.

It could be us and them going at it in the east for a long time. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Buffalo's window is going to open super quick here. Their young guys will take that next step in the next season or two and league will be on notice. Great drafting and a couple awesome trades have really set them up.

Soon enough, it feels like Buffalo and the Devils will be the teams battling in the ECF more often than not, even with the NHL playoffs sometimes having a real "crapshoot" feel to them.  Of course even with all of the talent that both teams have accumulated, the right guys gotta stay healthy.

There's obviously other good teams in the Eastern Conference, but it feels like a lot of windows are closing, or some of the better teams are as good right now as they're ever going to be.  I just don't see how it's not the Sabres and Devils being the class of the conference for the foreseeable future. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It could be us and them going at it in the east for a long time. 

I think I've mentioned here before but one of my best friends is a Sabres fan and we've never been able to watch out teams go at it in the playoffs. It's gonna be fun... If NJ wins. 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I think I've mentioned here before but one of my best friends is a Sabres fan and we've never been able to watch out teams go at it in the playoffs. It's gonna be fun... If NJ wins. 😂

I had tix for the first two rounds of the 1993-94 playoffs...so I remember the Sabres - Devils first round series very well.  Was a tough one obviously, with Hasek in net...when the Devils lost Game 6 1-0 in quadruple overtime and fell behind 1-0 early in Game 7, I was already getting nervous about yet another first-round KO...but fortunately Driver scored on the PP not too long after, and Claude scored in the second to give the Devils a 2-1 lead that they were able to hang on to.  I remember Mogilny smashing his stick on the ice just after the game had ended...he was PISSED.

Hasek put up a .950 save% for that series, with a 1.61 GAA.  Sure as hell wasn't his fault that his team didn't win that series.  BTW Miles Wood's dad (Randy) was a Sabre at the time...a fact that does nothing to make me feel younger heh heh.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I had tix for the first two rounds of the 1993-94 playoffs...so I remember the Sabres - Devils first round series very well.  Was a tough one obviously, with Hasek in net...when the Devils lost Game 6 1-0 in quadruple overtime and fell behind 1-0 early in Game 7, I was already getting nervous about yet another first-round KO...but fortunately Driver scored on the PP not too long after, and Claude scored in the second to give the Devils a 2-1 lead that they were able to hang on to.  I remember Mogilny smashing his stick on the ice just after the game had ended...he was PISSED.

Hasek put up a .950 save% for that series, with a 1.61 GAA.  Sure as hell wasn't his fault that his team didn't win that series.  BTW Miles Wood's dad (Randy) was a Sabre at the time...a fact that does nothing to make me feel younger heh heh.

I would have been 5 at that time haha. I didn't get into hockey until 2001 and I started off as a Stars fan(because of Brett Hull and they were one of the teams on one of those Playstation demo discs). Funny enough my friend is a Sabres fan because of a demo disc as well. They'd always put the two SCF teams as the demo for a period and he had Dallas and Buffalo and I had the one from Dallas And New Jersey. I eventually flipped.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I would have been 5 at that time haha. I didn't get into hockey until 2001 and I started off as a Stars fan(because of Brett Hull and they were one of the teams on one of those Playstation demo discs). Funny enough my friend is a Sabres fan because of a demo disc as well. They'd always put the two SCF teams as the demo for a period and he had Dallas and Buffalo and I had the one from Dallas And New Jersey. I eventually flipped.

I was 23 at the time.  I was on absolute Cloud 9 after that Game 7 win...Hasek was just so hard to beat, and to get by him just felt like such a massive achievement.  Then being there for the Game 1 and 2 losses to Boston...man those playoffs were truly a grind.  Devils went 11-9 in their 20 playoff games that year (with 2 of them going to OT, another 3 going to 2OT, and the 4OT game vs the Sabres of course).  It helped so much that they were able to get past the earlier rounds much more quickly in 1995.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crisis said:

I know it has been talked about ad nauseam but I will still always have to bring up that after Boston picked Zboril, DeBrusk, and Senyshyn in a row, the next 3 picks were Matt Barzal, Kyle Connor, and Thomas Chabot 🤦‍♂️

It was especially bad because this isn't 50/50 hindsight.   The later three were generally rated higher than the former by most scouting services.   I still have access to the Hockey News 2015 Draft Preview on my phone and they had Barzal at 10 and Connor at 11.  ISS had those two 8 and 13.   Senyshyn was #47 and #39 respectively.   Chabot and Zboril were ranked about the same.      

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

After all that Hellebuyck re-signs with WPG after all. 

I'm actually not all that surprised...it really felt like a lot of hockey writers were trying to force a "Hellebuyck to the Devils" narrative that never really had much to it, in terms of Fitz really wanting to make that move.  I'm glad it wasn't the Devils paying him that kind of money, that's for damned sure...given how old he'll be when that extension kicks in, man that one has serious "age VERY badly" potential.  

That being said, one of these years the Devils are gonna have to nail a friggin' goalie draft pick.  Hopefully Schmid and/or Brennan are the ones who break the trend.  Not good when Blackwood has more or less been the "best" pick in recent memory...he at least made it and at one point showed some promise.  Lots of guys who couldn't even say that.