The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

4 hours ago, moustic said:

Let's go for another dead season altogether... 
It will quiet after a moment... We will have some highlight (draft, Bratt/Timo watch, Grave/Sevz situation, probably not coach changing news but who know... at least to keep CR1976 entertain ; )   )

But as usual, i will spend my whole day around here... Same routine since 20 years ! Let's have a good time together until october ! 

Can't imagine Lindy's going anywhere.  I'm still not convinced that he's the guy who leads them to a championship, but at the same time, based on the regular season turnaround and the comeback effort against the Rangers, it's hard to make a real case for him to get canned.  I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't already been extended TBH.

And to be clear, this isn't some major endorsement of Lindy long-term, but at the same time, gotta factor in everything:

Even if pure talent obviously played a significant role, the team DID notch 112 points and DID knock off a team (a hated rival no less) with serious Cup aspirations.  Most GMs not named Lou are not even considering canning a coach off a season like that.

There's no real "Gotta have him!" candidate out there right now, really...it's a lot of retreads.  Lindy is kind of one himself of course, but even if the Devils decided to make a change, can I really make a case for Laviolette or Gallant or any of the others being some sure thing to make some major difference?  How much of an upgrade would any of them truly be?  Brunette seemed to have a real inside track on getting the gig one day but I'm not so sure that's the case any longer.

I still think at some point, Fitz will replace Lindy.  I just don't think it happens now.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
  • Shocking 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can't imagine Lindy's going anywhere.  I'm still not convinced that he's the guy who leads them to a championship, but at the same time, based on the regular season turnaround and the comeback effort against the Rangers, it's hard to make a real case for him to get canned.  I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't already been extended TBH.  

I agree with you about being unconvinced about Ruff and that he'll still be coach next season. If Brunette was the king in waiting, it wouldn't surprise me to see him talking to other teams. If he goes, I guess we'll see if his influence extended beyond the PP or not. Fitz has got quite a few decisions to make this off season.

19 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I agree with you about being unconvinced about Ruff and that he'll still be coach next season. If Brunette was the king in waiting, it wouldn't surprise me to see him talking to other teams. If he goes, I guess we'll see if his influence extended beyond the PP or not. Fitz has got quite a few decisions to make this off season.

The fact that Ruff hasn't been extended yet is interesting to me.  That does make me wonder if Fitz himself isn't convinced...but I suspect within the next month or so, there will be an announcement.  I'm guessing Lindy gets three more years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah it’s Schneider all over again. No thanks. 

I mean, I’m not sure why you would feel that extreme but I do agree he’s not going to get any better than what he’s put on the ice at  this point. But there is risk for decline. I’m not sure how I feel about this. Probably just stay away from it

4 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I mean, I’m not sure why you would feel that extreme but I do agree he’s not going to get any better than what he’s put on the ice at  this point. But there is risk for decline. I’m not sure how I feel about this. Probably just stay away from it

There is no universe in which I would give a 30-year old goalie who already has significant wear and tear (remember, this dude plays every game) $10 million a year for 7 years. No. fvcking. Way. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

There is no universe in which I would give a 30-year old goalie who already has significant wear and tear (remember, this dude plays every game) $10 million a year for 7 years. No. fvcking. Way. 

He's already 95th all-time on the all-time GP list.   

• Like 1

What if the fairly raw rookie goalie who just completely shut down the Rangers in 4 of 5 playoffs games, following a regular season where he had a lower GAA and higher save percentage than Hellebuyk, turns out to be the real deal?   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • EvilHeart 3

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

What if the fairly raw rookie goalie who just completely shut down the Rangers in 4 of 5 playoffs games, following a regular season where he had a lower GAA and higher save percentage than Hellebuyk, turns out to be the real deal?   

That's what I roll the dice on.  I don't want to spend $10 million AAV on a goalie if I don't have to.  Especially for Age 31 and beyond seasons.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's what I roll the dice on.  I don't want to spend $10 million AAV on a goalie if I don't have to.  Especially for Age 31 and beyond seasons.

It feels like we would be putting a super expensive band-aid on something that's not even shown itself to be an issue yet.  We have a year or two until we have to fully settle on a goalie IMO.     

I know at the moment it's worked out for the Cats, but us making a move for Hellebuyk has the potential to blow up as badly as when Florida impatiently signed Bob when they already had Spencer Knight developing.   Bob was a 10 million dollar 3rd string goalie at one point and probably isn't even playing right now if not for Knight's off ice issues.     

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It feels like we would be putting a super expensive band-aid on something that's not even shown itself to be an issue yet.  We have a year or two until we have to fully settle on a goalie IMO.     

I know at the moment it's worked out for the Cats, but us making a move for Hellebuyk has the potential to blow up as badly as when Florida impatiently signed Bob when they already had Spencer Knight developing.   Bob was a 10 million dollar 3rd string goalie at one point and probably isn't even playing right now if not for Knight's off ice issues.     

If we had to win a cup next season or else the core would scatter into the wind, sure go out and spend on Hellebuyck.

But we have time to allow Schmid a little growth and develop with the rest of the youth core.

i understand the apprehension based on VV really hitting a wall towards the end but he also never played that much in a single season. You can always improve on conditioning. His fundamentals are just above average, as we saw this season

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The bolded exactly.  I don't know why goaltending is suddenly seen in some circles as some major weakness on the Devils that must be addressed immediately.  For one, VV is a fine regular season goalie, who is a terrific 1B-type, really (as you and I and others already agree)...is anyone not signing back up for the roughly the same year that he put up, minus the playoffs?  Schmid may or may not be a 1A (who as a result would be the guy to ride in the playoffs), but I saw enough out of him that I'm willing to give him a shot to show that he can be that going forward.  Like @jagknife posted (and I did as well earlier), Hellebuyck is a last gasp, all-in, now-or-never move, when you have maybe 3 years left absolute tops, but probably only one or two.  It would be different if he was younger, but he ain't. 

I truly hope his young, innocent child will thrive after this brain surgery nightmare.

Also, that being said, I don't have any trepidation posting here now and a return (which isn't happening) would be awful

May God look over your son and grant the doctors the power to help him in the best way they can

5 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Also, that being said, I don't have any trepidation posting here now and a return (which isn't happening) would be awful

At times I got along with all three (I think most did, at times) and one in particular I seemed to get along with much better than most here...I never really had any issues with him.  Don't really have anything against them now that they're gone.  Seems like they've got their own thing going and if it's working for them, good.  

There was definitely a time where I absolutely went at it with certain posters, and sometimes it would get viciously heated to a detrimental point, with some (often unnecessary, looking back on it) insults being slung back and forth.  I was never suspended for any of it but looking back on it, I (and others) probably could've been.  I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I simply reached a point where I found that kind of stuff...boring.  And pointless.  I'd simply rather read and chat about the Devils than about state-of-virginity speculation or what kind of food debris is attached to one's fingers or keyboard.  Especially when the same guys are getting into the same arguments over and over.  Maybe when I was younger I sometimes found that stuff mildly entertaining.  Now I'm just more "OK, great, can't you guys just take this to PM if you need to have a pissing contest?"

There was also a time that I might see a viewpoint posted that didn't make much sense and would seem flat-out, well, dumb, but I guess now I'm more into having legit back-and-forth and finding out where that person is coming from...provided that person clearly isn't trolling or stirring sh!t up for the sake of doing so, of course.  At least give someone else a chance to present and support their argument; if I disagree, I'll at least try to come up with a logical argument as to WHY I don't agree, without going right to some insult well.  I no longer take the bait either...if someone chooses to insult me for whatever the reason, so be it.  I'd rather just ignore it, or point out that I didn't insult anyone, so why send any my way?  Better than a multipage "Who can get the last and most destructive last word in?" bitchfest that has very little to do with the team that we all root for.

So that's where I'm at in life.  Love that this place has really become a solid exchange of ideas and civilized debates where sometimes we can do this crazy thing called "Agree to Disagree".  This is the only site that I come to with any regularity.  And that's for good reason. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5