2023 HHOF Class

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Who's the girl who no one ever heard of?    Look at her stats haha

(Hope this doesn't trigger anyone)

"Ouellette won gold in all four of her Olympic appearances in 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014. She has 11 goals and 30 points in 20 tournament appearances.

The Montreal native also represented Canada at 12 IIHF Women’s World Championships where she led the Canadian team to six gold medals and six silver medals, scoring 23 goals and 68 points in 59 tournament appearances."

Sounds pretty impressive to me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

"Ouellette won gold in all four of her Olympic appearances in 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014. She has 11 goals and 30 points in 20 tournament appearances.

The Montreal native also represented Canada at 12 IIHF Women’s World Championships where she led the Canadian team to six gold medals and six silver medals, scoring 23 goals and 68 points in 59 tournament appearances."

Sounds pretty impressive to me

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=203377

All good. Never heard of her that's all

Can't see how Lundquist is a first time entrant. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean Patty should be in, we all know that. But Mogilny should’ve been in years ago, and this is now bordering on disgraceful. 

Screenshot_20230621-214455_Twitter.thumb.jpg.35160c48f9283cdff1f522e4bc0227aa.jpg

This year's excuse. The guy should be in, without question. 

Tom Barrasso and Mike Vernon get in before Elias?  Those goalies were good, but not great. 16th and 21st all time in wins, with guys like Price and Bobrovsky set to pass them soon, and those guys sure as hell aren't Hall of Fame worthy right now.

Beyond that, if they didn't get in a few years ago, what changed now to get them in over a guy like Elias who kait simply has a more impressive resume?

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Tom Barrasso and Mike Vernon get in before Elias?  Those goalies were good, but not great. 16th and 21st all time in wins, with guys like Price and Bobrovsky set to pass them soon, and those guys sure as hell aren't Hall of Fame worthy right now.

Beyond that, if they didn't get in a few years ago, what changed now to get them in over a guy like Elias who kait simply has a more impressive resume?

I’ve lost all faith in that selection committee; they prove year after year they just throw darts. Three of the four NHL players this year are not HOF worthy. Lundqvist is the only one who is. And current day politics has NOTHING to do with anything regarding hockey accomplishments and to punish a player and use that as an excuse to keep them out of the HOF is bullsh!t. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Screenshot_20230621-214455_Twitter.thumb.jpg.35160c48f9283cdff1f522e4bc0227aa.jpg

I pretty much expected Lundqvist to get in on his first try.  And I don’t have any issue with it…yeah, he’s a former Ranger, so we hate him by default, but he did have a hell of a career…guy is way up there on the all-time leaderboards in several categories.  And he was able to start a LOT of games in his prime.

Mogilny had such an odd career, in that a good chunk of it was built off two monster seasons…he wasn’t bad the rest of the time obviously, but was definitely a bit up-and-down and he had some issues staying healthy.  But yeah, at some point he should just get in already.

Pierre Turgeon should have gotten in a while ago…same deal as the above, a pair of monster years, but not like tons of forwards have managed well over 1300 points, averaged better than a PPG, and also been well into the “plus” category.  Obviously more to it than that, and I get that some felt that Turgeon could’ve given more as an NHLer, maybe was a little lazy, played in a higher-scoring era, but he had the numbers.

re:  Elias, I think his time will come.  I don’t need him to go in quickly, but if he never gets in (even though I still have him as borderline), I think voters are missing the entirety of what he brought.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I agree that Alexander Mogilny is a Hall of Fame player. He passes the eye test and the numbers test. What an amazing talent.

Patrik Elias will always be appreciated more here in NJ than anywhere else, now and during his career. He may never get in, he may always be on the bubble. He was good everywhere on the ice and was a terrific playoff performer in addition to having good offensive numbers, so that makes him worthy in my eyes. 

Pierre Turgeon deserves to go in. It's a no-brainer. He has the numbers and had some spectacular seasons, including with the Islanders.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Three of the four NHL players this year are not HOF worthy. Lundqvist is the only one who is. 

As good as Tom Barrasso and Mike Vernon were, I think they're a cut below Hall of Fame. I'm kinda surprised they made it. Curtis Joseph and Chris Osgood have hope, I guess.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Pierre Turgeon deserves to go in. It's a no-brainer. He has the numbers and had some spectacular seasons, including with the Islanders.

Looking again at Turgeon’s numbers, you’re absolutely right. I rescind my previous comment of him not being worthy.

41 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Patrik Elias will always be appreciated more here in NJ than anywhere else, now and during his career. He may never get in, he may always be on the bubble. He was good everywhere on the ice and was a terrific playoff performer in addition to having good offensive numbers, so that makes him worthy in my eyes. 

If Patty played in an original six or Canadian market, he’d already be in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Am just here to say I fvcking love Patty Elias, HOF or no. 

And why should the world fvcking stop for all Russians because of the actions of one man. Bunch of pussies trying to represent this sport. Hockey is proof that sport is bigger than borders. The border you came from is irrelevant if you play good. What kind of message do they think that sends? 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

The HHoF needs transparency with who voted for whom. This way when the same clown who voted in Ron Wilson and Kevin Lowe also voted for Mike Vernon, we can send them to hospice care for dementia.

Mike freaking Vernon is in but Patty and Mogilny aren't. What a crock of sh!t.

17 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Re:  Vernon and Barrasso, that’s where I’m at…they were obviously plenty good within their eras, both won a pair of Cups and were factors in helping their teams win those championships, but why is it all of sudden in 2023 that both guys are now Hall of Fame worthy?   If GSAA if your thing, Barrasso actually had a friggin’ NEGATIVE GSAA (-22.5) for his career…some decline years at the end of his career dragged that overall number down, but he was very up-and-down during his prime years.  When he was a Sabre, there were teammates who said that his inconsistency flat-out dragged his team down…doesn’t exactly reek of Hall of Fame material.

I’m obviously plenty old enough to remember both players, and I can’t really say that I remember ever feeling like that I was watching true greatness on display.  Especially when Marty, Roy, and Hasek were very clearly heads and shoulders above those two.

With the bar effectively lowered, I now feel that CuJo should damned near sail on in.  FWIW, even though he never won a Cup, his numbers are flat-out better across the board than Vernon and Barrasso’s.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Vernon and Barrasso, that’s where I’m at…they were obviously plenty good within their eras, both won a pair of Cups and were factors in helping their teams win those championships, but why is it all of sudden in 2023 that both guys are now Hall of Fame worthy?   If GSAA if your thing, Barrasso actually had a friggin’ NEGATIVE GSAA (-22.5) for his career…some decline years at the end of his career dragged that overall number down, but he was very up-and-down during his prime years.  When he was a Sabre, there were teammates who said that his inconsistency flat-out dragged his team down…doesn’t exactly reek of Hall of Fame material.

I’m obviously plenty old enough to remember both players, and I can’t really say that I remember feel like that I was watching true greatness on display.  Especially when Marty, Roy, and Hasek were very clearly heads and shoulders above those two.

With the bar effectively lowered, I now feel that CuJo should damned near sail on in.  FWIW, even though he never won a Cup, his numbers are flat-out better across the board than Vernon and Barrasso’s.  

I mean, you COULD make an argument for CuJo,  7th all-time in wins, had 30 win seasons with FIVE different teams

edit: AND he was undrafted

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I mean, you COULD make an argument for CuJo,  7th all-time in wins, had 30 win seasons with FIVE different teams

edit: AND he was undrafted

You sure can make the argument now!  I think the knock on him is that he never won a Cup (or even reached a Conference Final), but he owned a career .918 save% in the playoffs.  Not like he was constantly holding his teams back.

Yeah, I think CuJo should go in with the next class.  Barrasso and Vernon just made him an absolute no-brainer AFAIC.

26 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Back when the Devils used to hold open practices at South Mountain Arena Pierre’s brother Sylviain handed me his stick that he had just broken. I was a huge fan ever since even though he was the less skilled of the bros.

I have a Sylvain Turgeon stick autographed by the 88-89 Devils; my dad’s friend got it for me back then because he knew a few of the players. 

• EvilHeart 1

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I lost all respect for the hall of fame when they didn't put Pat Burns in when he was alive to enjoy it. He was always going in and they were scum bags about it. 

Vernon and Barrasso is a joke too but that's the level the hall thinks is hall of fame worthy nowadays. 

It’s become the Hall of Very Good. Barrasso getting in especially is a joke; dude had a sub .900 career save percentage. Why don’t we induct Olaf Kolzig next. 🙄

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have a Sylvain Turgeon stick autographed by the 88-89 Devils; my dad’s friend got it for me back then because he knew a few of the players. 

That’s awesome! I also got the 90-91 Devils to all sign a LGD sign at South Mountain Arena. I’m actually probably part of the reason they don’t have open practices anymore haha.

• Like 1