2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Drew Doughty criticized some of their players recently without actually calling them out by name, but it definitely seemed like PLD was one of them. 

Him and Fiala.   Neither one seems to be making many friends in Hollywood.   

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Hahaha imagine your team being good season after season for over a decade...that must suck. Like watching re-runs....gets boring right? Right?

Lonely The Simpsons GIF

Imagine winning only one Cup in all of those years. 

• EvilHeart 1

Guess we’ll find out soon enough if the Flyers have yet another recovery in them.  If anything looks like losing Hart might have been the final straw for them to continue having any chance to keep overachieving.

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Imagine winning only one Cup in all of those years. 

Or going out in the first round after a regular season like last year’s.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Chytil ruled out for the rest of the season. Scary stuff. 

Feel for him.  Apparently that’s already his fourth career concussion.

And it would be nice if that word was the one being used, instead of “upper body injury”.  Everyone knows what’s up at this point.

15 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He was terrible for pretty much the entire 2nd half of the season last year. I had very little interest in re-signing him. 

I know +/- is absolutely NOT a be-all end-all kind of number, but he's a +11 on the season, and was a +34 in the regular season last year.  I agree that his second half was up and down and that he was pretty in the playoffs, and at this point I do think of him as more of a "transitional" player than a guy who's still around when you're ready to win a Cup.

But has he really been THAT bad in Pittsburgh?  I ask because it's not like I watch a lot of their games...and for all of the flak he gets, he is a +45 since the start of last season.  He did NOT look all that good when the Pens lost to the Coyotes not too long ago, and I don't really remember noticing him when the Devils beat the Pens.  And yeah, no way would I ever have signed him for 6 years...I was open to a one-year stopgap deal for 2023-24, but he obviously was going to cash in, especially when Seves of all players was the big grab in a thin UFA market for defensemen? 

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know +/- is absolutely NOT a be-all end-all kind of number, but he's a +11 on the season, and was a +34 in the regular season last year.  I agree that his second half was up and down and that he was pretty in the playoffs, and at this point I do think of him as more of a "transitional" player than a guy who's still around when you're ready to win a Cup.

But has he really been THAT bad in Pittsburgh?  I ask because it's not like I watch a lot of their games...and for all of the flak he gets, he is a +45 since the start of last season.  He did NOT look all that good when the Pens lost to the Coyotes not too long ago, and I don't really remember noticing him when the Devils beat the Pens.  And yeah, no way would I ever have signed him for 6 years...I was open to a one-year stopgap deal for 2023-24, but he obviously was going to cash in, especially when Seves of all players was the big grab in a thin UFA market for defensemen? 

Perfect example of why nobody really takes +/- seriously these days. By all accounts Graves has been awful this season according to a lot of Pens fans. They’re ready to launch him into the sun.

Some of the player cards I’ve seen tend to back that up. 

Avs fans otoh seem pretty happy with Wood. They jumped all over the dude that made this list for putting him on there. But ofc everything seems better when you’re winning. 

Edited by Nicomo

Re:  Graves, he's not a guy who you expect to provide much offense, but yeah, he's cracked over 20 points three times.  8 points at this point is a tad light.

I looked for comments from Pittsburgh fans, and apparently the feeling seems to be that he does a little too much puck-watching and doesn't play the body enough.  And that does align with some of what I saw in that Pens-Yotes game.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Graves, he's not a guy who you expect to provide much offense, but yeah, he's cracked over 20 points three times.  8 points at this point is a tad light.

I looked for comments from Pittsburgh fans, and apparently the feeling seems to be that he does a little too much puck-watching and doesn't play the body enough.  And that does align with some of what I saw in that Pens-Yotes game.  

Graves is another Tarzan who plays like Jane. Like bAHL. Looks like Chara, plays like Gionta.

Edited by MadDog2020

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Graves is another Tarzan who plays like Jane. Like bAHL. Looks like Chara, plays like Gionta.

Here's a good article that sums up Graves' first season as a Penguin (from back in early January, but guessing not much has changed since then).  Basically some numbers are kind to him, and others most definitely not:

Could new Penguins defenseman Ryan Graves soon be a healthy scratch? | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

• Like 1