2023 all-purpose Pre-season GDT

RunninWithTheDevil

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

100%, the depth is so crazy deep that so many guys who are expected to be even better this year are almost after thoughts -

Palat is healthy again; McLeod is the best fourth line center in the league and still getting better; Haula can only have a better shooting percentage, Holtz is potting 20-25 goals imo; Schmid is a vast upgrade over Blackwood; Nosek is an upgrade over Wood; no more Severson, and on and on.

So curious to see if Holtz makes the team out of preseason; of course he did manage that last year, but clearly wasn't yet ready, and that became obvious fairly quickly.

Different feel early on so far (improved skating and he looked as good all-around as I've ever seen him in his first preseason game this season).  Even if he did start the season with Utica (maybe due to simple early-season numbers crunch), I still think he would get a look up here before much longer.  I hope he draws into the rest of the preseason schedule.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So curious to see if Holtz makes the team out of preseason; of course he did manage that last year, but clearly wasn't yet ready, and that became obvious fairly quickly.

Different feel early on so far (improved skating and he looked as good all-around as I've ever seen him in his first preseason game this season).  Even if he did start the season with Utica (maybe due to simple early-season numbers crunch), I still think he would get a look up here before much longer.  I hope he draws into the rest of the preseason schedule.   

You’re right in that he wasn’t completely ready from the start last season but I think on any other team he would’ve gotten those critical minutes to work himself into form and find his game. Unfortunately for him we were just too good. But the extra year of seasoning means he should be good to go right from the start.

The talent level of this kid should not be forgotten. His shot is elite, his playmaking is extremely underrated. If he’s figured out the skating then look out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

You’re right in that he wasn’t completely ready from the start last season but I think on any other team he would’ve gotten those critical minutes to work himself into form and find his game. Unfortunately for him we were just too good. But the extra year of seasoning means he should be good to go right from the start.

The talent level of this kid should not be forgotten. His shot is elite, his playmaking is extremely underrated. If he’s figured out the skating then look out.

Yeah, maybe on a bad team (or one in the very early stages of a rebuild) he plays out of necessity and his team is willing to let him take some lumps.  The problem last year was that team simply turned the corner and the kid just wasn't able to keep up.

I think he would've had a difficult year with the big club regardless based on what I saw, but getting 60+ games (like Jack did) would've been nice...it just couldn't happen, given that pretty much everyone else was ready to win (like you said, the Devils were just too good to try to live with such a raw kid's growing pains).

Really seems like the kid put in some serious time and effort this offseason.  Kudos to him for that. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, maybe on a bad team (or one in the very early stages of a rebuild) he plays out of necessity and his team is willing to let him take some lumps.  The problem last year was that team simply turned the corner and the kid just wasn't able to keep up.

I think he would've had a difficult year with the big club regardless based on what I saw, but getting 60+ games (like Jack did) would've been nice...it just couldn't happen, given that pretty much everyone else was ready to win (like you said, the Devils were just too good to try to live with such a raw kid's growing pains).

Really seems like the kid put in some serious time and effort this offseason.  Kudos to him for that. 

The team going on the win streak really hurt him. No one wants to make changes when things are working that well and once the win streak ended the team went cold for a large chunk in December. They should have sent him down during the win streak and not considered bringing him back until the team right the ship after that 6 game win less streak or whatever.

11 hours ago, devlman said:

100%, the depth is so crazy deep that so many guys who are expected to be even better this year are almost after thoughts -

Palat is healthy again; McLeod is the best fourth line center in the league and still getting better; Haula can only have a better shooting percentage, Holtz is potting 20-25 goals imo; Schmid is a vast upgrade over Blackwood; Nosek is an upgrade over Wood; no more Severson, and on and on.

I am definitely in the camp of McLeod is easily one of the better ones in the league in that his coach is not afraid to throw him into situations where other 4C's would struggle or flounder. I would even be okay with McLeod as a 3rd line C if we didn't have Haula or if we felt that Haula had a really bad year last season. I can't imagine he would carry a 3rd line by any stretch, but you can at least rely on him to win draws and not crater the line defensively. I think nowadays you need to have a 3C who is super reliably defensively, but also has enough skill to play with a top 6 or top 9 guy. 

• Like 1

I definitely don’t want to ever see McLeod in the top 9. Just doesn’t bring enough offense. Guy’s absolute ceiling is like 30 points. 

Perfect 4th liner though. I just wish we could get an answer on the off the ice stuff once and for all. Cause if he really is guilty of that I obviously don’t want him on the team at all. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I definitely don’t want to ever see McLeod in the top 9. Just doesn’t bring enough offense. Guy’s absolute ceiling is like 30 points. 

Perfect 4th liner though. I just wish we could get an answer on the off the ice stuff once and for all. Cause if he really is guilty of that I obviously don’t want him on the team at all. 

I agree he is not a top 9, but he is definitely bottom six.  I think he can play 3c and get 40 points.  Each season his points totals have been going up and last year he had to play with Wood on his line.  He can win face offs and plays well defensively.  He, also, got 6 points in 12 games in the playoffs.  He just turned 25 and is in his prime.

Regarding the off ice issues, I agree 100%.  If he is guilty he has to go.

12 hours ago, devlman said:

I believe Holtz will have a breakout season.

25G 20A 45P

The team is stacked and it will limit everyone’s ability to get goals, especially since Hughes will get over 50.  Then there is Nico, Bratt, Toffoli, Timo, Mercer, Dougie, Luke, etc, etc.

Edited by Puckbuster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

When Tierney went behind the net one of the Dmen, Hatakka should have covered the front no?

That's what I would have done, but it looks like the puck went right through him to get to the Flyer Gardner in front. I guess I am saying at least he was there. Willman just fvckin watched.