MadDog2020

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Schmid’s last 5 games (*3 starts)

NYI - 1.00

*CBJ - .929

*WPG - .833

WSH - .952

*STL - .939

Outside of WPG, who always kill the Devils, I don’t know what else you can ask for out of the kid. Give him the net at this point. 

Yeah at this point, might as well.  Right now he’s simply stopping more pucks.

• Like 1

Dawson with 5 G and 3 A over his last 10 GP.  At least for him, the points are coming.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dawson with 5 G and 3 A over his last 10 GP.  At least for him, the points are coming.

Him and Palat were both guys I was getting pretty frustrated with, but both have been playing much better as of late. 

Dougie and Vanecek have replaced them in my doghouse. 

• Like 3

2023-11-294_04_53PM.thumb.png.b63ceb2d7a0e9bb35d311f0d51040704.png2023-11-294_09_15PM.thumb.png.cdc6892e5a3af128af31c01d368561c6.png

Luke is #4 defenseman in the league in shots against per 60 - to the net, missed and blocked. #18 in goal chances against per 60. It does mean he made bigger mistakes when the shots goes on. But overall its a great result even if he plays against weaker competition than Marino or Siegenthaler.

10 minutes ago, Guadana said:

2023-11-294_04_53PM.thumb.png.b63ceb2d7a0e9bb35d311f0d51040704.png2023-11-294_09_15PM.thumb.png.cdc6892e5a3af128af31c01d368561c6.png

Luke is #4 defenseman in the league in shots against per 60 - to the net, missed and blocked. #18 in goal chances against per 60. It does mean he made bigger mistakes when the shots goes on. But overall its a great result even if he plays against weaker competition than Marino or Siegenthaler.

I don't mean this to be snarky but should I put much stock in any chart that shows Edmonton with 3 of the top 6 D in anything?     

39 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I don't mean this to be snarky but should I put much stock in any chart that shows Edmonton with 3 of the top 6 D in anything?     

More importantly (as least to me), I feel like Luke is very much passing the eye test...some expected rookie mistakes here and there, but the guy now has 13 points in his last 17 games (he went pointless in his first three), and everything that I've seen of him suggests that he's going to be everything that we hoped he'd be, for many years to come.  

• Like 3

And while passing out kudos...Holtz has definitely earned several so far.

First, he's played in all 20 games so far this season, and has actually LOOKED like a NHLer in the majority of them.  Mentioned it earlier but even when he's looked a little slow or a little raw, not once have I felt "Not ready for the NHL" or "He needs to be scratched".  Kid is holding his own and looks like he's becoming more comfortable and confident as the season unfolds.

He's obviously not close to being a finished product yet, but he's also no longer close to looking like a guy who still needs a lot of AHL seasoning...and that has to be considered a major victory.  Also looks like he has a reasonable shot to reach 20 goals, if he doesn't miss too many games.  Good for him.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

They have the same problem with bad goaltending.  They are really bad as Vanecek. And Ekholm is really good defensive defenseman. And eye test always is a first thinng, advenced stats is a helping tool only. Because for example Bahl has great stats but its because huge pressure is on Marino - he is a man defensive core piece there. 
And Hughes is third pair defenseman - reason why he is playing against weaker competition, but still he is doing very good against them. It was a huge problem with his game in NCAA, he made tonns of mistakes, played 4th role in defensive forechek and tryed to be first breakaway option. But Ruff and coaches simplify his game and asking to focus on puck battles and positioning. He is growing from game to game and its great to have so much talented player who is in miles away from what he was doing even one year ago. 
Overall this charts represented by defensemen from teams with good defensive systems and by very talented defensemen like Dumolin, Gavrikov, Hughes(who is compensating by positioning, stick work and decision making), Faber etc.

Снимок экрана 2023-11-29 в 6.30.39 PM.png

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

And you can see that SV% isnt the reason of "defensive system" only, because in different teams different goalies have different results.

2023-11-296_35_00PM.thumb.png.ca7e1688f056b4d27c1694f4d0a1419d.png

Makes you realize how tall Eli is.  Makes Jack look so little heh heh.

• Like 1

General trade question (not suggesting and not starting a war!), since Holtz and now Mercer have been heating up, if there was a trade brewing for a "Real" goalie, and one of either Holtz or Mercer had to go the other way who would you rather let go?

A ) Holtz

B ) Mercer

23 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

General trade question (not suggesting and not starting a war!), since Holtz and now Mercer have been heating up, if there was a trade brewing for a "Real" goalie, and one of either Holtz or Mercer had to go the other way who would you rather let go?

A ) Holtz

B ) Mercer

I can't make a decision without knowing who the trade is for... My answer is "it depends". I don't want to trade either of them, ideally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

A ) Holtz

B ) Mercer

Mercer.  His streakiness means he’s either very good or very bad.  Playing alongside Jack may eventually help him become more consistent, but if I had to make a deal today, he’s who I’d move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HughesCorporation said:

A ) Holtz

B ) Mercer

no one. Blues won with Binnington,  Vegas with Hill, Colorado with Kuemper, Pens with Murray. We dont need to trade future top six players for good goalie. We should find average or hot goalie, its enough. No one will trade Vasilevsky in his 20's for you.

47 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I can't make a decision without knowing who the trade is for... My answer is "it depends". I don't want to trade either of them, ideally.

its a hypothetical scenario, I dont want to trade either of them myself, just want to test the waters in here

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

no one. Blues won with Binnington,  Vegas with Hill, Colorado with Kuemper, Pens with Murray. We dont need to trade future top six players for good goalie. We should find average or hot goalie, its enough. No one will trade Vasilevsky in his 20's for you.

that wasn't the question

18 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I am on the Schmid train now, if they aren't going to trade for a hot or on point goalie VV isn't cutting it right now. This adherence of Ruff to VV is bordering on bizarre.

image.png

Lindy's obviously tried very hard to get VV going, but he can only do that for so long.  Guys like VV sometimes get off to dreadful starts and then pull it together later in the season, but for now, I give Schmid the next two games (even though they're obviously back-to-back), and see how it goes.  

• Like 2

FYI -- I have it on good authority that Fitz is def in on Markstrom.  Focus has primarily been on him, with some side talk about the D as well.  So far they haven't gotten close, not sure if they will.  But Fitz sees what we all see.

Don't bother posting that I am full of crap.  I'm sure some of you will conclude I am, and that's fine, but no need to pollute the thread throwing stones my way.  

If you don't want to believe me, that's your prerogative.  But this source is somebody who should know.

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smelly said:

FYI -- I have it on good authority that Fitz is def in on Markstrom.  Focus has been on him, with some side talk about the D as well.  So far they haven't gotten close, not sure if they will.  But Fitz sees what we all see.

Don't bother posting that I am full of crap.  I'm sure some of you will conclude I am, and that's fine, but no need to pollute the thread throwing stones my way.  

If you don't want to believe me, that's your prerogative,  But this source is somebody who should know.

Interesting. I wonder if a deal for Markstrom and one of Tanev/Zadorov is a possibility.