GDT: 11/18/23 Rangers @ Devils

RizzMB30

Just now, mackchi said:

I hate the goalie pull too early. Tired of seeing it. 
Devs unfortunately look soft. 😡

7 ENG goals against so far this season, but Lindy isn’t always one to make quick adjustments.

5 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Like someone else mentioned, Lindy is to Fitz as Hines was to Shero. I think we just need to get used to this guy never being fired as long as Fitz is here. Which sucks because Fitz is a great GM otherwise.

Realistically, when could he or should he have actually fired him?   Shero had so many chances to get rid of Hines where no one would have batted an eye.  

Just now, Lateralous said:

Realistically, when could he or should he have actually fired him?   Shero had so many chances to get rid of Hines where no one would have batted an eye.  

Yeah been over it but after a 112-point season and beating the Rangers after being down 0-2, of course he was going to stick around, and that I get.  It just sucks knowing that eventually Fitz will have to move on…which means some frustration in the interim.

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

Right?  He had eight other candidates from which to choose?

8 guys in mind. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’d be interested. At that time the Devils were quite a mess (please no jokes about the current situation). 

Just now, Nicomo said:

8 guys in mind. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’d be interested. At that time the Devils were quite a mess (please no jokes about the current situation). 

Tonight obviously sucked but I don’t think of this team as a mess by any stretch.  Too much talent here now to say that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

Imagine going from Vanbiesbrouk to Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin. Yes I know they had some average goalies in between Richter and Lundqvist but that's just ridiculous. 

Well at least they wasted Hank’s entire career. Hopefully we’ll be saying the same thing about Igor when it’s all said and done. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I don’t think we’ve yet reached the point where Lindy gets fired, mainly because of the number of injuries suffered by key players.  That will come if everyone manages to get healthy and the Devils get bounced in the first round of the playoffs or miss the postseason altogether.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tonight obviously sucked but I don’t think of this team as a mess by any stretch.  Too much talent here now to say that. 

Right, that was my caveat at the end. They’re obviously in a much better position than they were when Ruff was hired. 

• Like 1

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

I don’t think we’ve yet reached the point where Lindy gets fired, mainly because of the number of injuries suffered by key players.  That will come if everyone manages to get healthy and the Devils get bounced in the first round of the playoffs or miss the postseason altogether.

Probably not until next year at the earliest, and with the point% being bad enough to dictate such a move. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah been over it but after a 112-point season and beating the Rangers after being down 0-2, of course he was going to stick around, and that I get.  It just sucks knowing that eventually Fitz will have to move on…which means some frustration in the interim.

Fair.  Just pointing out that this is no where close to a Shero / Hynes situation or where it looks like Fitz has decided this is the hill he's going to die on.   

• Like 1

Just now, Lateralous said:

Fair.  Just pointing out that this is no where close to a Shero / Hynes situation or where it looks like Fitz has decided this is the hill he's going to die on.   

Yeah Shero really had NO excuses to keep Hynes around as long as he did.  That was so infuriating.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Imagine going from Vanbiesbrouk to Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin. Yes I know they had some average goalies in between Richter and Lundqvist but that's just ridiculous. 

Yeah but then look at their history of picking in the top 10 of the draft during the same period.   It's a who's who of "where are they now" type guys.   It all evens out.

I’m sorry but Vanecek isn’t a net positive enough for a cup contender. He makes the occasionally big save but it’s far too seldom. This fan base over inflates his big save count. He really doesn’t do it enough and lets in a ton of easier goals. The rebound he gives up for the fourth goal is just unacceptable in the NHL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

7 ENG goals against so far this season, but Lindy isn’t always one to make quick adjustments.

Every team pulls the goalie early, doesn't matter if its Torts, Laviolette, DeBoer, or Cronin. A huge amount of ENG against just means that you are playing from behind too much late in games and aren't coming back. 

I would argue it's a symptom and not the illness itself.  Still more work to be done. At the end of the day, I think we'd all take Thursdays 3rd period over today's 3rd period. Need to play a full 60 and settle into consistent team defense. 

I think the leaders on this team know that the solutions are within the locker room per the post-game.  It really sucks, but it's encouraging. Jack's back and looked great. 

I'm all for holding up on Zadorov until the deadline. If we take a major long-term injury to a key defenseman like Marino or Hammy, then I would try and pull the trigger and try to get the salary to work sooner, but there's no rush imho.  

The reason there's no rush is because PIT, PHI, NYI, and us are all a game or two away from being NHL .500. 2 of those teams will rise and 1 or 2 will definitely drop. I don't know if I expect WSH to keep the pace up either.

Being NHL .500 is not a caveat, it's bad. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2