official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Truly bittersweet Father’s Day.

Had a great day with my daughter, but my wife has breast cancer (found a lump almost three weeks ago) and she will need surgery and chemotherapy.  And even worse, my daughter found out before we planning on telling her (we wanted her to enjoy her 8th grade graduation first).  Life comes at you hard and cruel sometimes.  

I’m truly sorry to hear that man. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m truly sorry to hear that man. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. 

Likewise, hope she tolerates the treatments as well as possible. If there is anything a random guy from the internet can do for you, lmk. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Truly bittersweet Father’s Day.

Had a great day with my daughter, but my wife has breast cancer (found a lump almost three weeks ago) and she will need surgery and chemotherapy.  And even worse, my daughter found out before we planning on telling her (we wanted her to enjoy her 8th grade graduation first).  Life comes at you hard and cruel sometimes.  

Really sorry to hear that CR. I hope all goes well , thinking of you all. 

My mum just got to 5 years cancer free of breast cancer this year. She kept the whole thing quite for over 9 months before my first son was born so I could not worry and enjoy the moment. Not sure how she did it as she is terrible with secrets. 

Hoping you all get the same outcome and it's something to look back on as a challenge overcome. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all.  Hearing all the success stories helps a lot.    

The good news (so far) is that we appear to have caught it early...not in her lymph nodes and hasn't spread.  It's the type of cancer that's a little concerning ("triple negative", meaning that it only responds to surgery and chemo), but many women do survive this when it's caught early enough.  Now it's just getting through it all, and doing every last thing possible to make sure that my wife is well-cared for and supported; her treatments are being handled by Sloan Ketterling.  No one else I'd rather be going to for this.   

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Thank you all.  Hearing all the success stories helps a lot.    

The good news (so far) is that we appear to have caught it early...not in her lymph nodes and hasn't spread.  It's the type of cancer that's a little concerning ("triple negative", meaning that it only responds to surgery and chemo), but many women do survive this when it's caught early enough.  Now it's just getting through it all, and doing every last thing possible to make sure that my wife is well-cared for and supported; her treatments are being handled by Sloan Ketterling.  No one else I'd rather be going to for this.   

Really sorry to hear that.  I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Why are my childhood movies now becoming Broadway shows.... Beetlejuice, this....

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely in on that. 

I will base my willingness to go entirely on your review and yours alone. Don't let me down.

All kidding aside, the next Broadway show I will see next winter with the wife is Come From Away

I love New Foundland after my two trips up to St Johns, and Gander I hear is a nice town. I saw a piece on Gander's welcoming-ness during 9/11 during our game against toronto on their broadcast, and I've had many people tell me the play is amazing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

All kidding aside, the next Broadway show I will see next winter with the wife is Come From Away

I love New Foundland after my two trips up to St Johns, and Gander I hear is a nice town. I saw a piece on Gander's welcoming-ness during 9/11 during our game against toronto on their broadcast, and I've had many people tell me the play is amazing.

GREAT show. I saw it about three years ago. I think you’ll both enjoy it. 

Just now, jagknife said:

I decided to TRY to get ahead of Christmas and buy tickets.... apparently its ending its Broadway run 2 October.... Son of a....

Oh that sucks man, I’m sorry. If you can still manage to see it somehow, it’s worth the price of admission. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh that sucks man, I’m sorry. If you can still manage to see it somehow, it’s worth the price of admission. 

If you (or anyone) have other recommendations, I'm all ears. I'm looking art Wicked as the new plan.

Our Christmas trips up there usually include a Devils' game and now I'm gonna start taking her to Broadway more often now that the kids are less strain on my mom

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If you (or anyone) have other recommendations, I'm all ears. I'm looking art Wicked as the new plan.

Our Christmas trips up there usually include a Devils' game and now I'm gonna start taking her to Broadway more often now that the kids are less strain on my mom

Book of Mormon would be my recommendation. Absolutely hilarious, awesome show.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I decided to TRY to get ahead of Christmas and buy tickets.... apparently its ending its Broadway run 2 October.... Son of a....

Was just going to mention I heard it was closing. My daughter saw it with my wife’s cousin (her second cousin?), she loved it. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Cannot go wrong with Wicked, we’ve seen it 3 times and one was better than the next. Dear Evan Hansen was another I’d suggest but I understand that it closing also. Might’ve been in your wheelhouse with the mental health aspects of it. 

I told my daughter if she passes both of her Regents exams, I will take her to see Phantom of the Opera. Fingers crossed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Why are my childhood movies now becoming Broadway shows.... Beetlejuice, this....

I will base my willingness to go entirely on your review and yours alone. Don't let me down.

One of my good buddy from here was the lead playing Jack Black's part in School of Rock the Musical a few years ago. That was a big deal.

• Like 1

The problem here is that the SCOTUS basically can only decide whether or not a particular right is granted by the Constitution. Which is ridiculous in that the Constitution barely says anything about anything, and the rights it confers are very unclear. 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The problem here is that the SCOTUS basically can only decide whether or not a particular right is granted by the Constitution. Which is ridiculous in that the Constitution barely says anything about anything, and the rights it confers are very unclear. 

And to make an amendment to the constitution, we’d need Congress to actually do something other than get into public pissing matches over who gets paid “in total secret” more than the other. Those a$$holes can’t even pass a budget every year without acting like pissy little children.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, point said:

SCOTUS only said it's not up to 5 unelected justices to decide this issue. Let Congress and/or state legislatures elected by the people of this country decide this issue. 

And as much as I hate the result, I’m not sure they’re wrong.