official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

In the past two weeks, We’ve finished Ozark’s final season and Stranger Things’ current season. Spoiler tag for my reaction/story stuffs.

Hide contents

Ozark’s was progressively more predictable as it concluded. And, yet again with a series finale, I was disappointed. Like, that’s how it’s gonna end, really? Even with GoT I was more satisfied than this weak ejaculation of an ending.

Stranger Things had me guessing. I’m not ashamed to admit I shed tears multiple times during its season. The wife asked the second the credits rolled, “soooo season 5s next week right….?!?!”

I liked Ozark overall, but you are right, the finale almost felt like it was checking off a bunch of “Yeah saw that one coming” boxes.  The whole “We’re so close but now there’s this NEW crisis” storyline got to be a bit much too…but the time the finale rolled around, I was plenty ready for the whole thing to just end already.  But overall, generally solid show.  Definitely had a bit of a Breaking Bad vibe to it (and BB remains the best series ever AFAIC).  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I liked Ozark overall, but you are right, the finale almost felt like it was checking off a bunch of “Yeah saw that one coming” boxes.  The whole “We’re so close but now there’s this NEW crisis” storyline got to be a bit much too…but the time the finale rolled around, I was plenty ready for the whole thing to just end already.  But overall, generally solid show.  Definitely had a bit of a Breaking Bad vibe to it (and BB remains the best series ever AFAIC).  

Yeah agreed

Spoiler

I know they wouldn’t have a happy ending, they shouldn’t have, at all. But gimme a break, you had the perfect opportunity to literally take both heads of the cartel out AND cut your deal with the Feds, you’re telling me they wouldn’t have taken that? ESPECIALLY with Wendy’s prowess and Marty’s thinking ahead. It was like they lost every brain byte they showed throughout the season. Masterminds to first timers between seasons. So dumb.

11 hours ago, jagknife said:

In the past two weeks, We’ve finished Ozark’s final season and Stranger Things’ current season. Spoiler tag for my reaction/story stuffs.

Reveal hidden contents

Ozark’s was progressively more predictable as it concluded. And, yet again with a series finale, I was disappointed. Like, that’s how it’s gonna end, really? Even with GoT I was more satisfied than this weak ejaculation of an ending.

Stranger Things had me guessing. I’m not ashamed to admit I shed tears multiple times during its season. The wife asked the second the credits rolled, “soooo season 5s next week right….?!?!”

Ozark’s ending disappointed me. It was a fantastic show, but the ending to me was kind of ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

(and BB remains the best series ever AFAIC).  

Absolutely. BB and The Sopranos are the best there’s ever been. And Better Call Saul is right up there now for me too. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

The Pine Barrens episode. Absolute classic. 

“Is there any way the package could survive?!”

the look on AJ’s face was priceless lol. 

It was my #1 favorite episode for years. There’s a handful I’d probably rank a little higher at this point, but it’s still way up there. It was actually the first episode Steve Buscemi directed, and he obviously killed it. It was also some of the late Tony Sirico’s best work on the show. And I specifically loved all the episodes with Gloria. My favorite Tony goomah, by far. 

I really appreciated that they never addressed the missing Russian. They apparently tossed around the idea of Tony seeing him at Slava’s at some point - but he would have been severely brain damaged, and wouldn’t have remembered anything about what happened. It was so much better not knowing wtf became of him. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

“Is there any way the package could survive?!”

the look on AJ’s face was priceless lol. 

It was my #1 favorite episode for years. There’s a handful I’d probably rank a little higher at this point, but it’s still way up there. It was actually the first episode Steve Buscemi directed, and he obviously killed it. It was also some of the late Tony Sirico’s best work on the show. And I specifically loved all the episodes with Gloria. My favorite Tony goomah, by far. 

I really appreciated that they never addressed the missing Russian. They apparently tossed around the idea of Tony seeing him at Slava’s at some point - but he would have been severely brain damaged, and wouldn’t have remembered anything about what happened. It was so much better not knowing wtf became of him. 

As a kid we used to go camping in the Pine Barrens and then go canoeing. It was so easy to get lost in the woods that they actually dug a 4 foot deep trench about 20 yards out into the woods all the way around the campsite. We were told not to cross the trench, which of course we did. We would occasionally have someone gets minorly lost, but we always found them before the adults had to get involved.

And before anyone lost a shoe or had to eat half frozen condiments. 

Not tying up the thing with the Russian was the exact right way to go. 

Its funny you bring that up. Last night i was talking to my cousin who is a huge NY Giants fan and he was watching one of the Superbowl championship games when I stopped by. I am a giants fan too and I just couldn't watch the game, I already know what happened why watch it again?

I know a few people on here are religious about re-watching old games, am I the odd one here? I can't watch taped games or commemorative recaps, just can't do it. Am I the weird one here?

5 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I know a few people on here are religious about re-watching old games, am I the odd one here? I can't watch taped games or commemorative recaps, just can't do it. Am I the weird one here?

I can’t do it either. I love watching highlights, but sitting down to watch a full game I just can’t do. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Its funny you bring that up. Last night i was talking to my cousin who is a huge NY Giants fan and he was watching one of the Superbowl championship games when I stopped by. I am a giants fan too and I just couldn't watch the game, I already know what happened why watch it again?

I'm with you.  The one Devils game that I re-watched in its entirety was the 1995 SCF Game 4 clincher...and I did that mostly because I wanted my daughter to see what it's like to see the Devils win a Championship, so we watched it together.

The only other old games I've watched were some old Rockies games on DVD, mostly for the nostalgia factor, and to see some franchise history.  There's one game from early on in the 1981-82 season where they got blown out by the LA Kings 10-2...poor Chico was left in the game for all 10 goals...watching that one, you realize just how awful those Rockies teams often were (that "powerhouse" Kings team would win all of 24 games that year)...and man did I feel for Chico...I can't imagine how it must have felt to go from a powerhouse to an absolute doormat.  When one considers what he had playing in front of him, his numbers were actually pretty respectable.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

edit . this is my new sh!t.

One of my all-time favorite movies.  Great performances all-around.  And nails both the late 70s and early 80s perfectly.

Lots of interesting deleted scenes that make for good watches on their own, but I wouldn’t want any of them thrown back into the movie.  I think the movie works very well as is.

• Like 1

So we saw Nope (it’s great), and there was a preview for Jaws on IMAX. It’s one of my favorite all time films, and even seeing a trailer for it on the big screen was awesome. I’m definitely going to try and go. 

@SterioDesign

Do you know if you guys are getting it up there? 

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

So we saw Nope (it’s great), and there was a preview for Jaws on IMAX. It’s one of my favorite all time films, and even seeing a trailer for it on the big screen was awesome. I’m definitely going to try and go. 

@SterioDesign

Do you know if you guys are getting it up there? 

Cineplex with IMAX theatres will in September. We don't have a IMAX in Moncton but i may drive to Halifax for this.

My fav movie of all time.

I'm actually planning a trip to Martha's Vineyard in the next few years to visit the filming locations of Jaws. I wanted to go next year but i may wait til 2025 since they will probably do some 50th anniversary event there. They did the 20th,30th, skipped the 40th so i can't imagine they'd skip the 50th.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Cineplex with IMAX theatres will in September. We don't have a IMAX in Moncton but i may drive to Halifax for this.

I'm actually planning a trip to Martha's Vineyard in the next few years to visit the filming locations of Jaws. I wanted to go next year but i may wait til 2025 since they will probably do some 50th anniversary event there. They did the 20th,30th, skipped the 40th so i can't imagine they'd skip the 50th.

Just remember, you’re going to need a bigger boat. 

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

There was a scene scripted for Jaws 2 that I wish had been filmed...it was supposed to show how hard the local economy had been hit, leading to the town falling into some disrepair, several businesses either failing or boarded up, etc.  Apparently the MV locals were a lot less enthusiastic about another Jaws movie being shot there, so they simply refused to accommodate such a scenario.  Jaws 2 obviously isn't nearly as good as the original, but it's definitely watchable, and it was cool seeing the Brodys again...including older versions of Mike and Shawn.  

Jaws 3D and Jaws the Revenge...yikes.  Just...yikes.  Though I kinda dug Jaws 3D at the time (I was 13), when I didn't know any better.  I was in Sea World Orlando when the movie was being shot, and some of the props were up (they were filming, though I didn't actually see any of that actually going on when we were in the park).  We did see the Hatfield and McCoy ski show while there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There was a scene scripted for Jaws 2 that I wish had been filmed...it was supposed to show how hard the local economy had been hit, leading to the town falling into some disrepair, several businesses either failing or boarded up, etc.  Apparently the MV locals were a lot less enthusiastic about another Jaws movie being shot there, so they simply refused to accommodate such a scenario.  Jaws 2 obviously isn't nearly as good as the original, but it's definitely watchable, and it was cool seeing the Brodys again...including older versions of Mike and Shawn.  

Jaws 3D and Jaws the Revenge...yikes.  Just...yikes.  Though I kinda dug Jaws 3D at the time (I was 13), when I didn't know any better.  I was in Sea World Orlando when the movie was being shot, and some of the props were up (they were filming, though I didn't actually see any of that actually going on when we were in the park).  We did see the Hatfield and McCoy ski show while there.

Yeah the studio really had to force Rob Scheider to do the role again. He really didn't want to do it. If i remember correctly he had a deal with the studio for a few films. But they said that if he did that one that he'd be cleared from the others.

I'm a sucker for those movies so i can even enjoy Jaws 3D and Jaws 4 lol I wouldn't say they are good. But they can be enjoyable with the right mindset haha

When i met Lea Thompson (rawwwrrr) she said that she lied in order to get her part in Jaws 3D. She pretended that she has done nautical skiing in the past and all that just to get the part lol 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah the studio really had to force Rob Scheider to do the role again. He really didn't want to do it. If i remember correctly he had a deal with the studio for a few films. But they said that if he did that one that he'd be cleared from the others.

I'm a sucker for those movies so i can even enjoy Jaws 3D and Jaws 4 lol I wouldn't say they are good. But they can be enjoyable with the right mindset haha

When i met Lea Thompson (rawwwrrr) she said that she lied in order to get her part in Jaws 3D. She pretended that she has done nautical skiing in the past and all that just to get the part lol 

Yeah I remember when you told that story (bolded).  Also do remember Roy Scheider not having much interest in doing the sequel (thought he did a good job regardless).  

You are correct about 3D and 4, just gotta watch them with the right mindset heh heh.  I find 3D more tolerable than 4.  My daughter loves seeing people being eaten by sharks (not in real life of course), especially in Jaws 3D.  "Walk, don't run" lmao.  

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

F63FB4BA-8A90-4E93-8DFC-C7DA4F37CD77.gif